Stray Fawn Community

Altitude Sensor

coolm5224

We should have a sensor that detects distance from the center of gravity.
It would be good for satellites and could even be used for orbiting drones in sumo.

Maybe you could even set a block for it to detect distance to?
That would be good for having mini drones orbiting a main drone.

• Like 3

14 replies to this post

The new update contains an altimeter. It's done the same way our other sensors work.

However we might change the sensor system in the future to allow multiple dynamic outputs. But for now it only has two outputs, wether you are below or over the height threshold.

I especially like the notion of having the range be controlled... I'm picturing a multi-part drone that drops a block of parts, then autonomously strip-mines a layer of a planet until it detects that block, then lowers its altitude limit and repeats.

7 hours ago, Sarten X said:

I especially like the notion of having the range be controlled... I'm picturing a multi-part drone that drops a block of parts, then autonomously strip-mines a layer of a planet until it detects that block, then lowers its altitude limit and repeats.

My plan was to strap on a terrain detector, and push the altitude up several notches when it detects terrain too far inside weapon range, or terrain in FRONT of it, and just have it circle, then magnet in the full ones for retrieval, with a 'sense drone' sensor on top to shut off control while I empty them.

This could be very useful if something like logic lines where implemented! you could then have an actual distance value for altitude and have various logic gates to perform various functions at different altitudes! for example, you could make a drone that first digs straight down, then, once it gets to a certain distance from the core, starts digging out around the core and collecting resources, and once it is full, it could dig back up and then return to the resource drop-off point!

• Like 2

Specific altitude selected in arbitrary units - distance from center. Key to increase set altitude, key to decrease it.  Output if higher than, output if lower than, and tolerance to set a dead zone around your target altitude.

This will let you create drones that try to hold an altitude, and can modify that altitude based on feedback, and enable some methodical behaviors, like carpet bombers and strip-miners.

• Like 1

There could be 2 options for this sensor:

- Measure from the center of gravity: For mining.

- Measure from the edge of the crust, even if this is destroyed: for satellites or other orbital stuff because not all planets have the same radius and you want to always maintain a constant height.

I think distance from center keeps things simple, and detectors can help you learn and operate logically on distance from the surface.  Besides, if you destroy the surface but maintain the same altitude, a satellite will lose effectiveness.

I like the altimeter!  My laptop was busted for a while, so I was out of circulation while it got fixed.  I am disappointed in one respect, though.

My concept was intended to be used for automated, intelligent behavior; to do this, you have to be able to adjust to the planet's unique geometry.  Perhaps the planet's got a lot of peaks, and you need a higher cruising altitude.

I think both the altimeter and speedometer need a key input to adjust the target speed/altitude.  

What I intend to do is make an orbiter; dynamic thrusters that use lateral thrust, not vertical, to literally orbit a planet through velocity alone.  I'd have it adjust speed to match the altimeter, and slowly lower the altimeter's target, bumping it back up when downward sensors located enemies or terrain.  Forward sensors would have to deal with detecting and evading the resource bucket on the ship's circuit around the planet.

As you can see, adjustment of sensor targets may be really, really important for developing actually intelligent behavior.