Stray Fawn Community

New Genes 042: Leopard Seals (To make up for the previous seal idea)

Biogamer

Now looking back at my previous seal idea I kind of see the problems and understand why it wasn't considered popular, so I'm making another one 😆The leopard seal is a fast predator in the water in a harsh biome so I think it would be a great idea to do them. First the Leopard Seal Jaws would be unlocked by swimming 50 times as well as attacking 70 times. The effects would be +2 strength (strong bite force), +1 cracking and +2 smelling. Leopard Seal flippers would be unlocked by swimming 50 times and spending 30 days in a cold biome with the effects only being +2 swimming. Next the Blubber body would be unlocked by spending 70 days in a cold biome and swimming 50 times with the effects being +1 swimming (They're aerodynamic underwater), +2 cold resistance, +1 defence and a new effect float. The float effect would allow nichelings to stay above water when swimming. Finally the Seal hind legs would be unlocked by swimming 50 times and spending 50 days in a cold biome. The effects would be +2 swimming and +1 speed (Be a another kind of different gene with the same effect.)

Hope this was interesting, Sincerely Biogamer

download.jpg

6 replies to this post

@Fishyfishyfishy500 the platypus beak is also an underwater type gene but it doesn't give underwater breathing

Imo any creatures that have a decent amount of swimming should be able to "float" (swim with their head above the surface) because many aquatic creatures can't breathe underwater (cetaceans, pinnipeds, polar bears, crocodiles, basically anything that's a mammal, reptile or bird) They shouldn't drown when they're in deep water because they have the swimming ability to surface and breathe

I agree that the body should have defense: the stats could be changed to +2 cold resistance and +1 defense

• Like 1

it can't swim around at all without drowning though, unless you're in a river or very shallow sea(even that is a gamble, as the third dimension applies to swimming nichelings because if the head goes under they start to drown), nichelings don't float by the way, unlike seals, maybe the blubber body should give a special "float" mechanic that prevents you from sinking if you are out in deep water but only lasts for a certain number of days, maybe 7-12 days without land/walkable ground is good? Also make baby nichelings not float like real seal pups, but as they become juvies/teens they can float

it could possibly work like this:

effects: float

- your nicheling is floating over deep water, preventing drowning

duration: number of days left

and finally this(give it at least 1 fishing) :

blubber also functions as at least decent armor(hey it's better than a thin coat of fur) which would give them +1 defense and maybe you should have made this a sea lion set instead? It would have similar stats to the leopard seal set and made more sense as their flippers are longer and are not the equivalent of nubs

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

@Fishyfishyfishy500 the platypus beak is also an underwater type gene but it doesn't give underwater breathing

Imo any creatures that have a decent amount of swimming should be able to "float" (swim with their head above the surface) because many aquatic creatures can't breathe underwater (cetaceans, pinnipeds, polar bears, crocodiles, basically anything that's a mammal, reptile or bird) They shouldn't drown when they're in deep water because they have the swimming ability to surface and breathe

I agree that the body should have defense: the stats could be changed to +2 cold resistance and +1 defense

so the higher their swimming is, the longer they can tread water? sounds good :)