Stray Fawn Community

New Version 1.1.8 is now on the test

Philo

Hey folks :)

We just uploaded a new version (1.1.8) of the "Sandbox settings" update on the tester branch!
Please don't forget that this is a tester branch. Things are buggy here.
If you want to play with precious save files from earlier versions, it's adviced to make a back up first.

What has changed in this new version?

New features:

• Added win conditions

Improvements:

• Better balancing for Defender Bears
  • Rogue Males can now be stunned by coconuts
  • Animals with one bat and one bird wing can fly now
  • Rogue Males should be more scared when attacked now

Fixes:

• J Immunity can no longer be found in iceblocks
  • Fixed Tribe Size limit bug
  • Males and Female names are no longer mixed up
  • Fixed Rogue Male age problems
  • Oak Trees can now be deactivated in sandbox mode settings
  • Fixed animal skills display problem im family tree
  • Fixed animals that had their eyes closed after being warmed up

Please help us to test if all the new things are working!

To do so, you can head over to Steam.
Right click on Niche in your game library, select properties, open the Betas tab, enter the password.
The password is: NicheTesterBranch
Select tester_branch from the drop down. The game should now be updating. If now, restart Steam.
Happy testing and please report all bugs here

It would be especially great if you can keep an eye out for these sneeky bugs:

• Are peaceful bears still invisible on regrowing grass?
  • How are the Rogue Males reacting when you attack them with a female?

Thank you ❤️

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SleepyTurtle said:

I kind of liked that the creatures with different wings couldn't fly, because that seemed to make sense.

Nah, it's adaptation. A bird with one leg figures out how to get around by jumping, a dog with oddly sized legs figures out how to run on them eventually. It makes sense to me.

• Like 1

yayyy any winged nicheling can fly now!!!

also some of these fixes and improvement are GRRRREAT

how do win conditions work? i've seen some comments on steam about how people don't like the game because there is no goal but surviving.

• Like 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling

Sweet! I was wondering when 1.1.8 would come out! Thank you for sharing this @Philo! Permission to immediately get on Niche? ACCESS GRANTED!

Folks, what should we do about the animal portraits in the bottom left corner? 
If've heard some people say that it would be better to move them back to where they were before.
Is the top priority to always see the action points well?

1116446615_ScreenShot2019-04-04at09_22_39.png.da1e9bcba4f1f5847294a441b10396ac.png

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Philo said:

If've heard some people say that it would be better to move them back to where they were before.

1116446615_ScreenShot2019-04-04at09_22_39.png.da1e9bcba4f1f5847294a441b10396ac.png

Seeing the action points really helps when you want to know how much energy your Nichelings have left. I liked the old way anyway. So I'd call seenig the gems definitely high priorty :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Philo said:

What I don't really understand is why not just looking at the action points that are shown as part of the UI?

686372485_ScreenShot2019-04-04at14_03_22.png.06b59cab1229151d871d510b6d544762.png

For me personally, the new portraits don't bother me (because they were different) as much as they first did.

• Like 2

I don't like the new design, but not because of action points. The added empty space for babies seems awkward, with teens doing no better. The new one is meant to show you the whole animal, but the family tree does just that, only better. So why use the portrait? 

It could be vastly improved by reducing said empty space. This would still show most or all of the animal, but without the massive awkwardness of floating in mid-air. Some might not like full body portraits on principle, but this would surely reduce opposition.

On a personal level, I mostly play Niche on laptop. That means the baby's features can't be deciphered from the portrait anymore when it comes to low contrast patterns. Aside from usefulness, the proportions are a major problem. However, as with derpsnout, one might get used to it, but that seems quite hard as of now. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Philo said:

i kinda liked the old portraits cause now i haveta squint a bit

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Philo said:

What I don't really understand is why not just looking at the action points that are shown as part of the UI?

686372485_ScreenShot2019-04-04at14_03_22.png.06b59cab1229151d871d510b6d544762.png

Good point. I think it bothers me that they overlap, it doesn't look very good (as I said in the other post if they don't overlap I could work with it)

• Like 1