Stray Fawn Community

Another Curious Asymmetry

corona_wind

It should be noted that drone isn't mirror symmetric (the lower engine is slightly further left).

The true issue seems to be that the drone core is more of a circle than a proper octagon. That might be intentional. I'm not sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hex7 said:

It should be noted that drone isn't mirror symmetric (the lower engine is slightly further left).

The true issue seems to be that the drone core is more of a circle than a proper octagon. That might be intentional. I'm not sure.

That's correct, the behaviour you see is because the drone isn't symmetrical and the drone core has a circle as a collider.

Can fully understand the confusion though, especially since the sprite of the afterburner specifically is currently a little smaller than its collider, something that will likely be fixed in a future update ^^

22 hours ago, Hex7 said:

That's the point, yes, but if the core was a circle as you say, I'd expect the opposite to happen - the one closest to the center would block and the one farther out would not.  So I'm still not sure what's happening here.

Can you see it better with an outline? This pink circle's cardinal directions are as close as possible to the core's borders, up to the farthest row of black/grey pixels on the picture, which I assume are closest to the actual borders. The upper thruster's frame is just out of the circle (one pixel of distance on the picture), but the lower thruster is going over it by a smidgen.

1107141703_Pinkislife.png.c9b0d4460cbd8bc581af5377ea090a9c.png

With all due disclaimers about imprecision, and so on, and so forth.

5 hours ago, Ookami-sama said:

Can you see it better with an outline?

1107141703_Pinkislife.png.c9b0d4460cbd8bc581af5377ea090a9c.png

Ignore the firey end of the engines.  That corner is quite carefully placed the same distance from the center.

Measuring in GIMP, there's exactly one pixel of difference between them, and I see where it comes from - the drone core is 191 pixels wide at maximum zoom.  That doesn't divide evenly, causing it to project one pixel further on the left side of the grid than the right.

There's a vertical difference too, but I'm less sure why, since the core's only 190 pixels tall.

Here's a screenshot from the colliders. They don't match the visuals for the afterburner. So either we adjust the sprite to match the visuals, or match the colliders to match the sprite :) 

I think we should let it have the exact same size of the normal thruster, then it's easiest to use them together. If the afterburner collider is smaller it might behave non-intuitively and makes building harder.

Nimbatus_Afterburner_Colliders.thumb.png.616bd4a75fbba9bee2a6567ff8dd3908.png

20 hours ago, corona_wind said:

That is just weird.  BOTH engines are plainly intruding on the collider, but only one collides!

Unity Physics 😓

So even if we show the "real" colliders like Micha said, it wouldn't even be a help, because in edge cases Unity is completely useless xD 

We have to check how it behaves if we slightly adjust the collider and then fix the sprite so it matches the collider more accurate. 

The thing corona_wind wanted to point out was, that with this shown drone, the upper afterburner is not overlapping, and the lower afterburner shows overlapping. So it's not about asymmetry of the whole drone, but that the collider of the drone brain might not be perfectly aligned, as both afterburners visually don't seem to overlap, but one is highlighted red anyhow.

In the end it seems that this is just an edge-case in which unity-physics is not 100% accurate with its colliders.