Stray Fawn Community

Erythrism

VankirvanJD

-Going to make some changes, what is here is not the final suggestion-

Collaboration with @BirdsAreCool

Erythrism is a pigment mutation in which the fur of an animal is abnormally reddish or orangeish. Like with albinism or melanism, the animal's color is drastically changed but, depending on the animal's environment/lifestyle, it won't be negatively affected too much, as with leopards. This has been recorded in European badgers, wildebeests, jackals, katydids, and other animals as well.

This gene would have no effect on your animals except making them more orangey/creamy in color, whatever their fur color. The animal will be a darker color of orange the darker they naturally are. You can see this with leopards, as their naturally black spots are pretty dark compared to the rest of their coat, which would be tan/white. Here are examples of erythristic animals. 

987.jpg.114eddfba4883cf39f16ac8fa7757fb0.jpg

51436.ngsversion.1421961009836.adapt_1900.1.thumb.jpg.a36d2aae146a7c5b6b68e16ee3574938.jpg

pink_grasshopper.jpg.baab2ff4dfa50492feb65d000e01c330.jpg

Insects affected by erythrism are turned pink! Perhaps toxic body creatures with erythrism can be pink, since I don't imagine a toxic body being furry and instead being more like the texture of an insect.

The gene would be pretty useless honestly, giving no boosts and no disadvantages either. It's just another pigment mutation that can go beside albinism and melanism pretty much, but I thought it'd still be cool to suggest. :) At least it adds more color variety to your creatures eh?

This gene will not affect red fur, yellow fur, or orange fur (red and yellow combination), since these colors are technically already erythristic (red pigmentation). If the horn color has orange it too won't be affected, but if not it will. Erythrism would be recessive to melanism and albinism, albinism > melanism > erythrism.

Normal Nicheling                                                                                                Erythristic (Ginger) Nicheling                                  Erythristic (Blonde) Nicheling

739233767_eyanamere.png.647f255d2f295b1725763b5e246b9c78.png1926588076_eganamere.png.ce6e00414d7fe3c5a78a602f68dc8f0a.png1788955599_ebanamere.png.ef683db08a70c3eea807ddde10e08768.png

1222302056_erythrismgene.png.290367f52a6a7a010dbc1e7694ba5be8.png⬅️Icon Idea

More pigment related genes here:

Edited by VankirvanJD
Adding ginger and blonde alleles and other changes in a few hours
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, VankirvanJD said:

@BirdsAreCool Ack sorry to bother again but I wanted to ask, would erythrism be visible if the animal only has one red/yellow (and orange for the horn and patterns) fur gene? I don't think so right, since they technically do still have pheomelanin? I think thats the correct word lol

It's not a problem :D sorry for taking a while to get back to you

Now that I've thought about it, it wouldn't actually be necassery to have different forms of erythrism for each individual colour combo. The gene for erythrism could be completely epistatic over all fur, pattern and horn colours. There could be 2 seperate alleles other than non erythristic: 1 which causes bright ginger fur and 1 that causes blond fur. These seem to be the 2 main outcomes but obviously feel free to change/add to it if you decide to go with this

For the toxic body (I always thought of it as being textured like a frog, because dart frogs, instead of an insect. I love dart frogs btw, they're awesome) it could be a more purplish pink if the ginger allele is present and a lighter pink (like the grasshopper you have pictured) for the blond allele

I've included some pictures as examples below. The first 2 are a tiger and a zebra (woah who'd have guessed), this would be the sort of colour caused by the ginger allele. The second 2 are a wildebeest and a fox (mind blown :o), this would be the blond allele. The last picture is another grasshopper, but this one has a darker, more purplish colour to it. This would happen when a nicheling inherited both the toxic body and the ginger allele

tumblr_mqb1ofghyX1qcyzsao1_400.jpg

brown-striped-zebra.jpeg

c7af1bd4a2f71ef6db482066a3431b44.jpg

2ac1071f90e0a0deae893d13b4eb6dc9.jpg

ff1931ddcd3d0565fad16fd361bf62c0.png

Man I've gone off on a right rant, sorry xD I tend to get a bit carried away lol. I think it might be a good idea to simplify it in some way so it's more likely to be added, the current idea would take an awful lot of work given how many possible colour combos there must be. Also yes, pheomelanin is red/orange pigment

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BirdsAreCool said:

If you'd like then sure, it can be a colab

And I agree, erythristic animals are pretty cool :D

I'd just make all nichelings with 2 alleles for erythrism have it, no matter what fur colour it's got. Also what sort of dominance would the 2 alleles have? Would 1 be dominant over the other or would there be codominance or incomplete dominance?

I think ginger would be dominant over blonde since higher amounts of pheomelanin is the point of erythrism, so then the blondey-cream would come after because it'd just be weaker erythrism if that makes sense. I'll edit it soon :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bostonlobstah said:

I like the idea, but I honestly don’t see a need for this as it won’t be much different from brown shades.

Ah but wait, couldn't you argue there's no need for albinism or melanism then, since they're basically just white and black. ;)

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1

I agree with @Bostonlobstah. Erythrism is a term used for animals with an absense of black pigment and/or an excess of red pigment which is normally only used in species that typically have a different colour i.e. where a spontaneous mutation has occured. The red, orange and yellow fur colours in niche are technically also a form of erythrism. The mutation that caused these fur colours would have exactly the same affect as a mutation for erythism, only the mutation for erythrism would be recessive to other fur colours rather than incompletely dominant

14 hours ago, VankirvanJD said:

Ah but wait, couldn't you argue there's no need for albinism or melanism then, since they're basically just white and black. ;)

You could for melanism, which is basically the opposite of erythrism. A melanistic animal is any animal that lacks red pigment and has high amounts of black pigment

You couldn't for albinism though, which is different from just having white fur. White fur is caused by an absence of pigment cells in the fur, which means that no pigment can be produced. Sometimes the pigment cells can also be missing from the eyes and ears, which causes blue eyes and deafness respectively. Albinistic animals have pigment cells, but a mutation affects a protein that is essential in the production of pigment. In albinos, hearing isn't a probem seeing as the pigment cells are present, but the lack of pigment causes sight problems. Albinos are also prone to sunburn because they don't have any pigment in their skin

• Like 3

@BirdsAreCool You're right, I didn't do much research and there wasn't much I could find on it. But there isn't any other way erthryism could still be implemented? What if it deactivated when the animal has red, orange or yellow fur, since I think what you're saying is these colored animals technically already have erythrism. Let me know, cause if not then I'll just delete this, it's just a suggestion and at least I'm being educated in the process lol.

Also yes I'm aware of what albinism and melanism are and what they do in real life, but I was referring to the way they are in Niche, doing nothing except changing the animal's color. :)

41 minutes ago, VankirvanJD said:

@BirdsAreCool You're right, I didn't do much research and there wasn't much I could find on it. But there isn't any other way erthryism could still be implemented? What if it deactivated when the animal has red, orange or yellow fur, since I think what you're saying is these colored animals technically already have erythrism. Let me know, cause if not then I'll just delete this, it's just a suggestion and at least I'm being educated in the process lol.

Also yes I'm aware of what albinism and melanism are and what they do in real life, but I was referring to the way they are in Niche, doing nothing except changing the animal's color. :)

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you meant in real life or the game. I'd like to see some debuffs like UV sensitivity and shortsightedness added to albinism to show that it can be problematic

Erythrism could still be implemented as an extra, I mean we've already got melanism and it's not like niche follows realistic colour genetics anyway. It's also completely possible to have two mutations which have the same outcomes. Plus it is kinda cool :D

Whether or not red or yellow fur deactivates it would probably depend on if melanism deactivates black fur, which I think it does. I'd probably have it dominant over all fur colours, regardless of how much red pigment they already have. It just wouldn't have a visible effect on red/yellow/orange/etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdsAreCool said:

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you meant in real life or the game. I'd like to see some debuffs like UV sensitivity and shortsightedness added to albinism to show that it can be problematic

Erythrism could still be implemented as an extra, I mean we've already got melanism and it's not like niche follows realistic colour genetics anyway. It's also completely possible to have two mutations which have the same outcomes. Plus it is kinda cool :D

Whether or not red or yellow fur deactivates it would probably depend on if melanism deactivates black fur, which I think it does. I'd probably have it dominant over all fur colours, regardless of how much red pigment they already have. It just wouldn't have a visible effect on red/yellow/orange/etc

Ah okay, so what you're saying is erythrism wouldn't be deactivated if the nicheling has red/orange/yellow fur, but it would look like nothing is changed? (Unless it shows up on the horns/claws, since I imagine those would change as well). And would it depend on melanism as well? I want to get everything right when I edit this, thanks for always being super helpful :D

1 hour ago, VankirvanJD said:

Ah okay, so what you're saying is erythrism wouldn't be deactivated if the nicheling has red/orange/yellow fur, but it would look like nothing is changed? (Unless it shows up on the horns/claws, since I imagine those would change as well). And would it depend on melanism as well? I want to get everything right when I edit this, thanks for always being super helpful :D

I'm glad to help ^_^

And yes I don't think it should be deactivated, especially now that you've pointed out that the pattern colour and horn colour would still need to be changed. I didn't think about that

It wouldn't depend on melanism, I was saying that if melanism doesn't deactivate with black fur then erythrism shouldn't deactivate with red/yellow fur. As I just said, I forgot that it would need to stay active anyway to change the horn and pattern colours

Would erythrism be dominant over melanism or recessive to it? Both would be possible. It would have to be recessive to albinism though

Also does anyone know if melanism is dominant or recessive to albinism in the game? I think I read it was dominant on the wiki, but I'm not sure, I've never had a nicheling with both of them

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BirdsAreCool said:

I'm glad to help ^_^

And yes I don't think it should be deactivated, especially now that you've pointed out that the pattern colour and horn colour would still need to be changed. I didn't think about that

It wouldn't depend on melanism, I was saying that if melanism doesn't deactivate with black fur then erythrism shouldn't deactivate with red/yellow fur. As I just said, I forgot that it would need to stay active anyway to change the horn and pattern colours

Would erythrism be dominant over melanism or recessive to it? Both would be possible. It would have to be recessive to albinism though

Also does anyone know if melanism is dominant or recessive to albinism in the game? I think I read it was dominant on the wiki, but I'm not sure, I've never had a nicheling with both of them

Melanism is recessive to albinism.

I'd make erythrism recessive to melanism only so that it could be a rarer/harder-to-unlock gene. And honestly I think people would prefer melanism so it'd be easier to get if it were dominant.

372458600_Screenshot(169).png.cfc3ff26aca6c8048c4e4af9adcd6d9d.png

• Like 2

@BirdsAreCool Ack sorry to bother again but I wanted to ask, would erythrism be visible if the animal only has one red/yellow (and orange for the horn and patterns) fur gene? I don't think so right, since they technically do still have pheomelanin? I think thats the correct word lol

10 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

It's not a problem :D sorry for taking a while to get back to you

Now that I've thought about it, it wouldn't actually be necassery to have different forms of erythrism for each individual colour combo. The gene for erythrism could be completely epistatic over all fur, pattern and horn colours. There could be 2 seperate alleles other than non erythristic: 1 which causes bright ginger fur and 1 that causes blond fur. These seem to be the 2 main outcomes but obviously feel free to change/add to it if you decide to go with this

For the toxic body (I always thought of it as being textured like a frog, because dart frogs, instead of an insect. I love dart frogs btw, they're awesome) it could be a more purplish pink if the ginger allele is present and a lighter pink (like the grasshopper you have pictured) for the blond allele

I've included some pictures as examples below. The first 2 are a tiger and a zebra (woah who'd have guessed), this would be the sort of colour caused by the ginger allele. The second 2 are a wildebeest and a fox (mind blown :o), this would be the blond allele. The last picture is another grasshopper, but this one has a darker, more purplish colour to it. This would happen when a nicheling inherited both the toxic body and the ginger allele

tumblr_mqb1ofghyX1qcyzsao1_400.jpg

brown-striped-zebra.jpeg

c7af1bd4a2f71ef6db482066a3431b44.jpg

2ac1071f90e0a0deae893d13b4eb6dc9.jpg

ff1931ddcd3d0565fad16fd361bf62c0.png

Man I've gone off on a right rant, sorry xD I tend to get a bit carried away lol. I think it might be a good idea to simplify it in some way so it's more likely to be added, the current idea would take an awful lot of work given how many possible colour combos there must be. Also yes, pheomelanin is red/orange pigment

Ahh I love this idea, sorry for taking long to reply! I should just make this suggestion a collaboration with you, yeah? I don't think that's been done before but who said it can't be, I thought of and started off the concept and you expanded on it lol.

I'm going to add the ginger and blonde in a little bit, and yes aren't those orange/blonde animals so cool?! I was in awe when looking through erythristic animals. Also I thought the same with toxic body, being like that of a poison dart frog, but I compared it to an insect because I couldn't find any erythristic frog pictures hehe. 

Also we would need three alleles then, non erythristic, ginger, and blonde, got it. Does the fact that red/orange/yellow fur won't be affected still apply? I don't think so right, since the fox, which is already red, was turned blondish? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VankirvanJD said:

Ahh I love this idea, sorry for taking long to reply! I should just make this suggestion a collaboration with you, yeah? I don't think that's been done before but who said it can't be, I thought of and started off the concept and you expanded on it lol.

I'm going to add the ginger and blonde in a little bit, and yes aren't those orange/blonde animals so cool?! I was in awe when looking through erythristic animals. Also I thought the same with toxic body, being like that of a poison dart frog, but I compared it to an insect because I couldn't find any erythristic frog pictures hehe. 

Also we would need three alleles then, non erythristic, ginger, and blonde, got it. Does the fact that red/orange/yellow fur won't be affected still apply? I don't think so right, since the fox, which is already red, was turned blondish? 

If you'd like then sure, it can be a colab

And I agree, erythristic animals are pretty cool :D

I'd just make all nichelings with 2 alleles for erythrism have it, no matter what fur colour it's got. Also what sort of dominance would the 2 alleles have? Would 1 be dominant over the other or would there be codominance or incomplete dominance?