Stray Fawn Community

I guess this is just about rats now

mhiahia

I'm getting new rats next week! I've already had rats and took a break about a year ago. Now, I am about to have four female albinos (they are lab rats from the sprague dawley breed).

I've been trying to think of names for them and decided that maybe one of you guys has a nice name idea.

• Like 1

Maybe you can name them after famous/well known albino people. Albinism isn't that common among people and albinistic people are still bullied and teased, and in some parts of Africa, killed or attacked. Well known albinistic people are pretty inspirational in my eyes, considering the challenges they had to face simply because of their pigment. Some names I suggest are Shaun, for Shaun Ross, or Salif, for Salif Keita. Sorry for the paragraph lol

Edit: Didnt see that they were females so Shaun and Salif won't work but you know what I mean lol

Ooooh! Rats! How are you gonna tell four albinos apart?1800408637_rattieboys1.thumb.jpg.495d8638ea10688175e94fb0c1ce76c2.jpg

Hmmm...

Names...

Koivu (birch in finnish)

Lumi (snow in Finnish)

Luna

Kuu (moon in Finnish)

Moon

Leapy

Iiiip (rat noise)

YoCaSIMSoTME (short for: you can see into my soul through my eyes)

Toadstool

Duinlan (a legendary (female) rat warrior in GoaT)

Merra (another GoaT character, a female mouse)

Fatale (this one is from GoaT too)

Dove

• Like 1

My brother is intend on naming a rat Master Splinter (the guy who trained the Ninja Turtles) But since you are getting females I guess that won't fit that well.

I like the idea of greek or any godess names like Athena, Hela, Hera and stuff (I know Hela is nordic mythology).

Or you just go with Flake, Snow, Blizzard and Frost because they are all gonna be albinos.

I had male rats a while ago and two of their names would work on females Rainbow and Star (rainbow was my sister's rat and she named him).

All in all this post is a little chaotic, mainly because I can't think of good female names or have to many pop culture references XD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poopbeer said:

Ooooh! Rats! How are you gonna tell four albinos apart?1800408637_rattieboys1.thumb.jpg.495d8638ea10688175e94fb0c1ce76c2.jpg

The person I get them from just told me to draw a symbol on their tail, so I guess I'll do that for the start. Maybe I'll be able to tell them apart without it later on...

Also, this picture is adorable.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 8:07 PM, mhiahia said:

The person I get them from just told me to draw a symbol on their tail, so I guess I'll do that for the start. Maybe I'll be able to tell them apart without it later on...

Also, this picture is adorable.

Tell us what you have named them please, once you get them ❤️ (if you want to lol (pics would be cool too :D ))

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jojo said:

Tell us what you have named them please, once you get them ❤️ (if you want to lol (pics would be cool too :D ))

I gladly post some updates.

They've arrived about two hours ago, and are more or less hiding now (one of them occasionally comes out to explore). For the names I've decided on Lumi and Inu so far, but I don't know who will be who.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mhiahia said:

I gladly post some updates.

They've arrived about two hours ago, and are more or less hiding now (one of them occasionally comes out to explore). For the names I've decided on Lumi and Inu so far, but I don't know who will be who.

Very cute and good name choices so far :D

So, other update: In the morning, they had a moment in which they all went to explore the cage, then three of them resorted to a house and one who I decided to call Inu (her tail has a blue mark) just stayed all alone on a platform. She somehow just really likes that place (in the morning they were there all together) and as of now two others have joined her and they are cuddling. They aren't afraid of me, but still kinda wary, which is great considering that this is only their first day. Right now they are getting active again, and it is rather confusing to see four completely identical rats appear and vanish without being able to spot their tail mark.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mhiahia said:

IMG_20190415_170553.thumb.jpg.20709b00a4e79790964d8d89ea35a5f5.jpgIMG_20190415_170608.thumb.jpg.548ff9a50e906b16db076c3970d37bec.jpg

IMG_20190415_170634.jpg

So cute. I want rats again so badly but not while my bunny is still alive (first of all my mom won't let me but it would be really unfair towards my old man)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No clue if anyone will read this, but anyway: I've been thinking about names and I've had two ideas: Tazme (german pronounciation, not english) which comes from fantazme aka ghost. And baki, which according to the all knowing internet means black in some weird language I've never heard from (the rat that would get that name has the black tail mark and I think it's funny to call an albino black.) I'm going to ask my family about it, but what do you guys think  about those ideas?

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

14 hours ago, mhiahia said:

No clue if anyone will read this, but anyway: I've been thinking about names and I've had two ideas: Tazme (german pronounciation, not english) which comes from fantazme aka ghost. And baki, which according to the all knowing internet means black in some weird language I've never heard from (the rat that would get that name has the black tail mark and I think it's funny to call an albino black.) I'm going to ask my family about it, but what do you guys think  about those ideas?

I think I'd like the english pronounciation of Tazme better, with a soft z not with the hard german Z but otherwhise very cute names and I agree it is funny to call an albino black :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jojo said:

I think I'd like the english pronounciation of Tazme better, with a soft z not with the hard german Z but otherwhise very cute names and I agree it is funny to call an albino black :D

God, I'm an idiot sometimes. I actually meant the version with the soft z. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote this 

• Like 1

Sad news:

One of the girls, her name was Lumi, got a tumour about a month ago. She also had some sort of rat-cataract in her eyes which didn't really impact her as far as I could tell and made sounds while breathing (she already did that when I got her). Because of all of this and since I had a really bad times with tumours the last time I had rats (one got operated and had a new one two weeks later) we decided to wait and see how it developed. It turned out to be extremely aggressive and got really big in a short amount of time. Today we went to the vet and she said that operating her wasn't an option.

So we put her to sleep...I held her in my hands the entire time and she cuddled with me. This was the first time that I euthanised one of my pets and it was strangely peaceful but also really sad.

• Sad 4

59 minutes ago, mhiahia said:

Sad news:

One of the girls, her name was Lumi, got a tumour about a month ago. She also had some sort of rat-cataract in her eyes which didn't really impact her as far as I could tell and made sounds while breathing (she already did that when I got her). Because of all of this and since I had a really bad times with tumours the last time I had rats (one got operated and had a new one two weeks later) we decided to wait and see how it developed. It turned out to be extremely aggressive and got really big in a short amount of time. Today we went to the vet and she said that operating her wasn't an option.

So we put her to sleep...I held her in my hands the entire time and she cuddled with me. This was the first time that I euthanised one of my pets and it was strangely peaceful but also really sad.

Oh no, poor rattie. Euthanasia is always difficult, no matter how many times you go trough it. There's always the feeling of "What if there was something I could hve done?"

I'm very sorry for your loss

• Like 2

So, I decided that I'm going to post some stuff about my current rats.

Finding out what your rat's character is like is normally pretty easy, but it gets a bit trickier if they look absolutely identical. Even if you just look at them from afar, you can normally tell who's doing what if they have different fur colours.

Example: One rat grooms another one. Who? I have no clue. Can't see their tail marks, can't see how they move. Guess I'll never know as much as with others.

Anyways, here are their characters summed up.

Baki (who has a black tail mark) is one of the "bigger" ones  even though she' still tiny. She's the leader of the group, very confident and clever. I can tell her apart from the others because she has a tiny gap in her left ear, where she was probably bitten (that was waay before I got her). Whenever I hand out treats she will inevitably start to deposit them, always in the same spot, and come back over and over to get more food. I have no idea if she even eats it or if the others steal it from her since she doesn't even hide the food and just throws it into a corner of the cage. She's always the first one to do something and will always try to climb on top of me, even if that includes walking over my entire arm.

Lumi (who has a blue tail mark) is essentially a more chill version of Baki. She likes doing her own thing and can be seen hanging out alone. Weirdly enough she is the heaviest one of the three, although she's not as much into food as her sisters. In contrast to her sisters she doesn't get scared by fast movements.

Tazme (who used to have a red tail mark and now doesn't have any) is the tiniest of the three. She's really fragile, easily scared and very careful. This doesn't mean that she's not curious and outgoing, which she is, just a very paranoid, delicate lady. I can easily recognize her from the way she walks -  she seems to tiptoe all the time. if something startled her or something new happens she will first watch from a safe distance and then circle the object (sometimes multiple times) until she dares to approach it.

All three of them have a very weird obsession with pushing around their bedding. They will pile it up in front of a house, often the door. Sometimes they push it so hard that it lands on my carpet. Once I saw one of them transport some from the lower floor to the upper floor to - you guessed it - completely bury the entrance to their little house.

• Love 3

News! 

I'm going to pick up two six months old boys this saturday! Their owner is giving them and their massive cage away for free because he doesn't have enough time for them. I'm really happy and look forward to owning boys again.

There's only one slightly weird thing: The owner described one of them as an albino. But on the picture that he sent me he doesn't look like one. I'll try to post them so you guys can try and see wether or not I'm right.

• Eek! 3

Found them! 

This one's name will be Rorschach, after a character from the graphic novel Watchmen.

IMG_20200210_191039.jpg.0bb0a1906f1741ffefd8519291f34eb5.jpg

No idea how I'm going to call this one. I'm not sure he's an albino, his fur looks beige-ish, especially the part on his head. Might just be the lighting though.

IMG_20200210_191109.jpg.4a85e2138eb33d957c64c5127d6f04c6.jpg

• Love 3

20 hours ago, mhiahia said:

Found them! 

This one's name will be Rorschach, after a character from the graphic novel Watchmen.

IMG_20200210_191039.jpg.0bb0a1906f1741ffefd8519291f34eb5.jpg

No idea how I'm going to call this one. I'm not sure he's an albino, his fur looks beige-ish, especially the part on his head. Might just be the lighting though.

IMG_20200210_191109.jpg.4a85e2138eb33d957c64c5127d6f04c6.jpg

He looks like my girl Muumi. She was yellow with red eyes. The owner has propably mistaken