Stray Fawn Community

Different Racing Starters

Lulzer

The racing meta seems to favor afterburners, which are operational at 150m/s. So what methods do you use to get there?

Thrusters

And lots of them. They're reliable and only gradually flex your drone. Coupled with a speed sensor you can release them at exactly 150m/s.

Jump Thrusters

Wobbly af, but potentially quicker than regular thrusters. If you're dragging your fuel with springs you can accelerate a smaller part of your drone carrying your afterburners for the jump thrusters to get them up to speed.

Weapons

I've seen people mention them (shotgun with recoil perks?) but I haven't gotten them to work reliably. They tend to move my drones off center.

Are there any better ways? What do you use?

• Like 1

Shotguns. Place them as close to center line as possible for better stability. Attach them all to your core. Recoil and multiple projectiles. They will destroy themselves, but not before jump starting your afterburners. You actually get better times when they pop early. 

In drag, most of the top ten aren't using guidance in either mode, but I hit second place with manual correction so it's possible. 

• Like 2

Thanks, both of you! Made 1st in Piesces with the shotgun starter 😁

How would the magnets work, make a block of magnets and crank the repel up? Maybe some heavy blocks so it's heavier than the drone? And what's the advantage over shotguns? As far as I can tell with shotguns  I get to at least 150m/s pretty much instantly (0.10ms). 

• Like 1

I think the magnets are mainly just a slight augmentation of shotguns. While the shotguns provide the vast majority of the thrust, they act over a very short distance/time and so you're somewhat limited in how much performance you can get out of them before things break.

The magnets provide a tiny bit of additional accelerating force with little to no risk of breakage or slowdown on the main craft.

But it is worth emphasizing how tiny that impact is. The difference between the second best dragster (without magnet-enhanced starting) and the first place dragster (with it) is less than 0.05 seconds. On most courses, it won't matter.

------

You probably could use a purely magnetic jump start, but I'm skeptical that would be better than regular thrusters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying shotguns (~50 attached via decoupler to a core with a single afterburner) for drag race launch and they don't do much, maybe get the afterburner up to the second bar.  Is it because I need to research ways to increase the recoil?

• Like 1