Stray Fawn Community

Logic Lines

Captain Skwidz

Keybindings are useful for controlling logic circuits but easily limit complex logic circuits such as a simple turing-complete computer. I've been trying to build at least a full adder but the keys needed to build a full single bit computer would probably require all of my keyboard and it would take a long time to set all the keys. Logic lines or "wires" would make connecting each logic component easier and allow larger, more complex circuits. I suggest a wiring button to link each part by either using the current connection lines (which would also have to link one part to multiple other parts) or wires which can be placed like parts and can be linked to and from multiple parts.

• Like 3

6 replies to this post

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, Captain Skwidz said:

Keybindings are useful for controlling logic circuits but easily limit complex logic circuits such as a simple turing-complete computer. I've been trying to build at least a full adder but the keys needed to build a full single bit computer would probably require all of my keyboard and it would take a long time to set all the keys. Logic lines or "wires" would make connecting each logic component easier and allow larger, more complex circuits. I suggest a wiring button to link each part by either using the current connection lines (which would also have to link one part to multiple other parts) or wires which can be placed like parts and can be linked to and from multiple parts.

I absolutely love the idea of logic lines/a logic view! I think keybinds could still be there for simple creations or such, but being able to have logic wires makes following the logic going on in a craft probably quite a bit easier! there could be like a blue circle for inputs and a red one for outputs! Also, maybe later on there could even be a large programmable part (or something you can put a good amount of logic gates in) for more complex calculations, but that could always be a mod once the game is done!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spacemike said:

I absolutely love the idea of logic lines/a logic view! I think keybinds could still be there for simple creations or such, but being able to have logic wires makes following the logic going on in a craft probably quite a bit easier! there could be like a blue circle for inputs and a red one for outputs! Also, maybe later on there could even be a large programmable part (or something you can put a good amount of logic gates in) for more complex calculations, but that could always be a mod once the game is done!

On another note having logic lines would also allow things such as analog inputs, vectors, arrays, etc. that would allow for more complex logic systems that would be impossible with simply using keybinds alone.

• Like 2

Some sort of lines going from outputs to inputs would be a nice addition.

The lines should be another layer that can be toggles like tags, the lines from the selected part should be highlighted with bold lines and/or another color.

• Like 1

though I dont mind the current system, where i only use keybinds on things i plan to directly control and tags on everything automatic, I would love an overlay that automatically links gates and parts with labeled strings when one has an output that can trigger anothers input, and an additional ability to directly create and drag a string from one part to another and labeling it could be a great way to input tags on multiple pieces at once while simplifying the logic system for beginners. 

Also, i wouldn't have to find where i put that ONE logic gate when i'm looking for errors in my programming if it was all strung together.

Great Idea!!

Thanks,

Sachi

On 3/3/2020 at 9:48 AM, Zixvir said:

so............... making logic gates more confusing than redstone? yeah, probably.

No? It would just show connection with lines rather than checking which tags match.

It wouldn't make it more confusing than redstone, what makes redstone somewhat confusing is bugs and space limitations, with this in nimbatus you could put logic gates in whatever order you want and it would still connect.