Stray Fawn Community

Meet Leggy, my unexpected roommate! <3

Alfamangle

Is it poisonous? Will Leggy kill me? Currently he’s keeping his distance.

please answer, I don’t want my friend to kill me. I don’t wanna kill it but will Leggy kill me?

We got our answer folks!

It’s the American House Spider, and will not in fact, kill me!

47EA0D85-6449-496A-B2DA-814791FCFE45.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Eek! 3
  • Love 3

I can't have those.
except in the summer... ooo the spiders in the summer.... EEK!
I can keep one about long enough before it crawls down from my ceiling to the floor and then I have to sleep on the couch because I'm scared.

Leggy is adorable.

I share a room with my sister, an old half blid guinea pig and a scary snail.image.thumb.png.fb3a93da0cb77eea92dbf822f92b0494.png I'm sure that one night she/he/they/it ( @angelheart help me, what are the genderpronouns of snails?!) is going to kill me

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bear poop said:

Leggy is adorable.

I share a room with my sister, an old half blid guinea pig and a scary snail.image.thumb.png.fb3a93da0cb77eea92dbf822f92b0494.png I'm sure that one night she/he/they/it ( @angelheart help me, what are the genderpronouns of snails?!) is going to kill me

I think they are pansexual. I mean, slugs are I believe

So snails are actually both biological genders simultaneously...I forget what you'd call that. Genderqueer? Depending on how the snail feels about themselves

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bostonlobstah said:

I think they are pansexual. I mean, slugs are I believe

So snails are actually both biological genders simultaneously...I forget what you'd call that. Genderqueer? Depending on how the snail feels about themselves

Snails are hermaphrodites- similar to how a clown fish can change it's sex, a snail can too (through whoever wins a fight). They are not intersex, as being intersex is a totally different thing and is related to too much intersecting genetics to go into depth in this post. 

So, technically, a snail would be Genderfluid if they were human. 

• Like 4

Most spiders aren't dangerous (except you live in Australia) so you shouldn't worry about it :D

I find spiders to be very useful roommates when it comes to mosquito hunting

• Like 3
  • Paw up 1

9 hours ago, Bear poop said:

Leggy is adorable.

I have owned multiple pet slugs before (LOL please don't judge I adore them)

Slugs at least, can change gender at will, depending weather there is a male of female slug nearby. If there are no other slugs near by, they can actually reproduce by themselves. 

I just declared my slugs male or female, and went with it. Mushroom was a girl, Portobello and Truffle were boys.

Also, is there enough moisture in there for the snail? I don't see any substrate in there, either. 

For feeding of the snail, I'd recommend cucumbers. My slugs went bonkers over those. Also kale works in a pinch.

You gotta make sure the water you spray in there either comes from your own well (if you have one, so you know there aren't any added chemicals), or natural bottled spring water (this is probably this best--just make sure that theres no added salt or other bad stuff in it), or distilled water (but I wouldn't recommend that as your first choice because it lacks some natural minerals and stuff) I definitely would NOT recommend tap water--it often has added chemicals to it like chorine that can be bad for the slug/snail's sensitive skin.

make sure you wash off the cucumbers and other stuff you give them really well with some of the water choices above. Their food often has harmful chemicals and pesticides on them.

ANYway, rant over! The snail is super cute!!!!

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Bostonlobstah said:

House spider?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasteatoda_tepidariorum

Their bites hurt (like most spiders), but they won't bite unless you physically abuse them (ie grab them in your fist and squeeze them, possibly while shaking your hand violently up and down I imagine). And it won't kill you.

They look pretty similar--but I am noticing some unique red-ish markings on Leggy and a different shaped abdomen.

????????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jasper said:

They look pretty similar--but I am noticing some unique red-ish markings on Leggy and a different shaped abdomen.

Did not notice that I'll check if there's a variation on the house spider

• Paw up 1

18 hours ago, Jasper said:

I have owned multiple pet slugs before (LOL please don't judge I adore them)

Slugs at least, can change gender at will, depending weather there is a male of female slug nearby. If there are no other slugs near by, they can actually reproduce by themselves. 

I just declared my slugs male or female, and went with it. Mushroom was a girl, Portobello and Truffle were boys.

Also, is there enough moisture in there for the snail? I don't see any substrate in there, either. 

For feeding of the snail, I'd recommend cucumbers. My slugs went bonkers over those. Also kale works in a pinch.

You gotta make sure the water you spray in there either comes from your own well (if you have one, so you know there aren't any added chemicals), or natural bottled spring water (this is probably this best--just make sure that theres no added salt or other bad stuff in it), or distilled water (but I wouldn't recommend that as your first choice because it lacks some natural minerals and stuff) I definitely would NOT recommend tap water--it often has added chemicals to it like chorine that can be bad for the slug/snail's sensitive skin. 

make sure you wash off the cucumbers and other stuff you give them really well with some of the water choices above. Their food often has harmful chemicals and pesticides on them. 

ANYway, rant over! The snail is super cute!!!!

My sister was cleaning the snail's home, that's not the actual terrarium.

I have never touched the snail, because it clearly wants to kill me. I find wild snails less murderous. My sister takes care of the feeding

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1