Stray Fawn Community

Help me save a moth

1 minute ago, randomspacecat said:

Can you put them in glasses? How do you capture them without damaging the wings?

It also seems pretty bad at flying, so it might not actually survive

Yes, usually plastic glasses are better since they're softer.

Wait until the moth has settled on a flat object. Slowly creep towards it, and place the glass over it. Lift the glass up slightly, enough to get paper underneath, and slide the paper in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eek! 1

6 hours ago, randomspacecat said:

Can you put them in glasses? How do you capture them without damaging the wings?

It also seems pretty bad at flying, so it might not actually survive

My advice as bug-captureing veteran:

Get a clear jar/glass, so you can see the moth inside so you know where it is at all times so you don't hurt it.

Its actually not that hard, just walk up and gently put the cup or jar on top of it. Make sure the mouth of the jar does not touch the bug, but goes around it. Then oooooh so slowly and gently get a piece of paper and sliiiiiide it under the cup/jar. life the paper that is covering the mouth of the jar and the jar up together, and then tip the jar so the bottom of the jar is tilted upwards. Bugs always like to climb UP, so the moth will most likely climb to the bottom of the jar that is slightly tilted up. This is good because then it is away from the mouth of the jar, allowing you to put a lid on, of course with breathing holes on top. Keep in mind you normally wouldn't want to keep a moth in just a jar, it is a good temporary housing solution, but NOT a good permanent one. Once you have it secure in the jar/glass, asses its health. Whats wrong with its wings? Are they deformed? torn? folded? After you figure that out, start googling like crazy. Find out what kind of moth it is, what it eats, ect. That'll help you care for it.

Post some pictures of the moth if you can! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eek! 1

1 hour ago, Jasper said:

Get a clear jar/glass, so you can see the moth inside so you know where it is at all times so you don't hurt it.

Its actually not that hard, just walk up and gently put the cup or jar on top of it. Make sure the mouth of the jar does not touch the bug, but goes around it. Then oooooh so slowly and gently get a piece of paper and sliiiiiide it under the cup/jar. life the paper that is covering the mouth of the jar and the jar up together, and then tip the jar so the bottom of the jar is tilted upwards. Bugs always like to climb UP, so the moth will most likely climb to the bottom of the jar that is slightly tilted up. This is good because then it is away from the mouth of the jar, allowing you to put a lid on, of course with breathing holes on top. Keep in mind you normally wouldn't want to keep a moth in just a jar, it is a good temporary housing solution, but NOT a good permanent one. Once you have it secure in the jar/glass, asses its health. Whats wrong with its wings? Are they deformed? torn? folded? After you figure that out, start googling like crazy. Find out what kind of moth it is, what it eats, ect. That'll help you care for it.

stop making me want a moth to show up injured at my house so i can save it it's not good for my mental health

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jasper said:

The bug expert has arrived 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys! 

It actually did not start trashing madly in the glass. Still, I'm not sure if they are bad at flying, or crashing against objects hurt it.

201905257969719071954760734.thumb.jpg.650333cf3feef84fdda264576170f09f.jpg

(You can't really see anything here or the pattern, but hey)

Your very flighty target. In my hometown, they're fluffier and lighter. Not sure what that is. (Also cursing my English. Nightactive = Moth? A moth is more than a nightactive butterfly, isn't it?)

OBS_20180312_OBS0006_galerie.jpg.b28773393e41d1bba055a25149e7e4bf.jpg

(It's not that one but they're alike...) 

Might be "Eisenfarbiger Samtfalter"

phoca_thumb_l_eisenfarbener-samti-2-home.jpg.d0c31a32c826e7ed473a34f8a2fa691f.jpg

Still no idea about this dull, nightactive butterfly or moth

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1