Stray Fawn Community

Hit sensor

Fire209

A sensor that detects when it takes damage. Maybe also putting this on shields to detect when they get hurt. Could allow for drones that Self destruct upon taking certain damage values, or allow for the automatic ejection and reconstitution of parts of a drone when damaged to a large extent. Maybe even allow this as a property of blocks, or tie it to certain blocks if they get or a % of the blocks selected are damaged, activate.

• Like 2

8 replies to this post

Sounds interesting. The question is how it detects the other parts. One way could be that it reacts to all parts which are children from the detector. But then the question is if it takes the minimum health from all parts? or the average? Or maybe it can only detect damage from one part, but how would that be clearly communicated? Another way would be to detect damage in an area, which might be easier for some cases, but not so useful for others.

I think it's an interesting part/new tool, but I'm not certain how an elegant implementation for that part would look like :) 

Maybe the child blocks, but I think a seperate linking system would work for this, maybe having you select the blocks you want it to detect damage to, and maybe a damage thresh-hold on the part itself to allow it to detect health of a specific block or general damage or broken-ness of multiple parts. I imagine it would also only work on parts that are connected to it in a way, even if they are not the direct child of it. Similar to how energy of fuel is handled, I would guess.

• Like 1

Just random guessing, no plans: If we would revamp the logic system in the future and have a node-based system, maybe we could reuse some of that and use visual links to parts for sensors. Imagine a damage detector and you have several links/strings to other parts which it detects the damage from :) 

That would probably be the ideal case, but not sure if that is possible in a acceptable timeframe :)

What if some parts could monitor their hp similar to how fuel and energy tanks monitor their energy levels? The parts could then be configured to send a signal when their hp dropped below a determined threshold. Perhaps a shield could do the same based on shield health?

• Like 1

Interesting suggestion. I think this would work well (but would require a lot of handiwork from the players), but the UI might get very cluttered when we would add additional output fields for every part. Maybe if we would rework the UI (so that we could have a scrollable panel), more input/output slots (maybe with a toggle) would be possible and less cluttered.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good solution @Illy. We would have to check if that does not have too big of an performance impact (when you add many of these detectors). If there's no problem there, it sounds like an elegant solution.