Stray Fawn Community

Experiments

Woworm

I thought it would be nice to have a place to show off your crazy ideas and experiments, from new types of sumo drones to walkers, this is a place for any kind of creation that is anything but normal. even just ridiculous builds.

Nimbatus_GIF_201906011914015545.gif.ed7c25678d341114db704116867e8287.gif
the Forerunner hovercraft, a ship created originally to counter gravity but now features 2 upwards rockets that are useless, a spike cannon, pull lasers, shielding systems, planet melter flamethrowers, no energy blasters, and bomb (rocket) dropping systems. there is no recoil on any weapon.

• Like 2

Nice construction!

We had some similar threads which got buried over time :) I link them here so that the don't get lost again and over time a huge easily accessible gif library gets build. Feel free to continue posting here :) 

old threads for archive reasons:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cute lasers. The problem I ran into with automated laser turrets is the need for extremely fast target acquisition. Every moment spent in range without positive acquisition is lost damage. In the gif above, you have less than 50% potential acquisition, which translates to less than 50% potential weapon damage. Without a better way to acquire and maintain a lock, I fear automated lasers simply aren't efficient enough to be practical compared to alternatives. 

Ballistic weapons, on the other hand don't need 100% time on target in order to be highly efficient due to weapon recycle times. 

Test out some ballistic variants, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :D 

Just added lock-on.  Locks on slower but stays.

5lUyrRC.gif

I am happy with my design.  It's like a push broom for pirates.

[edit] It finished off a corp laboratory by itself!  Though I lost the turret taking down the last shield and had to finish by headbutting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trilobite version 3, 13 to 13.5 seconds on versus racetrack.

PNSCNO0.png

Engines at 45 degrees and carefully placed to drift away from the racetrack edge on turn.

The little ejectable side-engines guide it past the red zone that kills so many.  One gets ejected depending on whether the opponent is below or above, the other after three seconds.

0quxj8i.gif

The bouncing is silly, but works nearly every time, where the red zone killed it 50% of the time!  To say nothing of avoiding tangles.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

An experiment in programmer-mode navigation!  You can't just *tell* your robots where you want them to go anymore.  And there's nothing like a compass.

meMnPdW.png

The direction indicator in the tank tracks where you are on the planet.  The timer is set to a precise amount of time to make it point at what you want.  It directly controls the left/right engines to make it move across the surface towards the place it's pointing.

hJOGANU.png

This allows me to perfectly nail this tunnel by programming.

Did you notice the familiar shape?  A direction indicator on an axle?  Yes, this is a gimbal yet again!  Something that'd be a million times less awkward were it an actual thing in the game instead of this gigantic wobbly monstrosity we have to build!  Please vote for that feature I just linked!

• Like 1

once I created a drone for catch but I accedentally made a dicovery, the vtol thrusters can directly target the enemy drone core on sumo mode because that's the next waypoint.

Programmer mode core hammerhead defeated!

I sent a bigger version of my mining roller along the landscape until it fell into the core.  If it detected a temperature change (magma sensors do **NOT** work right now), or the hammer head, it launched bombs.

GJFAZBi.gif

I love that one bomb that just nopes out of there...

• Like 1

roomba-missile.png

This drone completes the "disrupt fracking operation without harming local wildlife" mission.  It flies at the shield towers, but not directly, as there's so much stuff in the way.  It takes a looping, semi-random path that dodges hits every freaking asteroid but tends not to  get stuck, and only goes straight on when it detects a target, allowing the defenses to detonate it.  It's another use of the gimbal.

• Like 1

Programmer mode artifact retrieval!

42FnqCd.gif

...and the mass of gates powering it is easily as big as the entire rest of the thing.

ZyepT2L.png

This was hard!  Seven sensors in this thing.

Distance sensors, right to left:

1) MissionTarget.  Detects torches to activate the plasma gun.  Also the artifact, unfortunately.

2) Collectible Items.  Disables the gun.  "Don't shoot at the priceless artifact, moron."

3) Collectible items, again.  Tells when it's in the right place to be towed and activates magnet.

Direction sensors, clockwise from top right:

1) Mission target.  Directs the drone horizontally across the landscape until it's straight over a target, then precision-drops.

2) Gravity.  keeps  drone upright.

3) Container.  Sends the drone back home to the container, plus some tilt so it doesn't actually hit the container.

4) Drone core.  Tells it when it's right above the bucket, forcing it to disable all engines.

And the altimeter, to give it a reference altitude to flee to whenever it hasn't found a target yet.

The musical instruments are debugging.  A low tone when it's towing, a high tone when it's found the bucket.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 years later...