Stray Fawn Community

Bird Hindlegs

EmberSky

Since there's currently only 3 types of hind legs, I thought one that matches up with winged nichlings would work. The gene would give them 4+ attack since a predatory bird's talons are pretty powerful. I might put up a drawing on what it might look like later.

• Like 13

I like the idea behind this suggestion. Adding more avian genes sounds pretty spiffy.

However I think that a +4 to strength may be a little much, considering that bearyena hindlegs give a +1. Personally I think  it would better balanced if the talons offered +1 or +2

Nice suggestion, take an upvote for the road!

Edited by DangerousDodo
  • Like 6

I kind of like the idea of it being 1 strength and 2 fishing. That lines it up with the 3 stats on all the other legs, and you can get more strength from horns and body type, but without the forelegs if you're going with winged creatures, you're limited to 2 fishing from the fishing tail. And having no speed wouldn't bother the double winged creatures since they fly everywhere anyway.

• Like 4

I suggest:

If creature doesn't have double wings:

+1 Speed

+1 Attack

+1 Swimming

If creature has double wings:

+2 Fishing

+2 Attack

In this way, it acts just like Bearyena Hindlegs on a land creature, but if they have double Wings, then it's a lot better! :D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wolfhowlmay said:

I feel like the entire purpose of these legs would to be to give strength to a bird creature since that's what they're needed for on real birds. Since they would be bird legs I think a creature without wings would have a very difficult time walking on them, perhaps they would be best with no speed (but wings give you the 7 or 8 spaces of movement) making them only really worth while for flying creatures

so stats would be maybe 

+1 or 2 strength 

+1 or 2 fishing 

And that's all. a winged creature wouldn't be using its legs to swim unless it was a bird intended for the water, and it would have a whole lot of difficulty moving around on those tiny bird legs without its wings 

I like this, but seeing as birds do walk on land and occasionally take a dip in water regardless of their forte, I think having no movement wouldn't make sense. +1 speed and +1 swimming, however, would work perfectly, because it's still daunting to have [as we've seen with the bearyena legs], but also still somewhat realistic.

I think they should give +2 strength and +1 fishing (in addition to the required +1 speed). It shouldn't give any bonus to swimming since it seems like the hindlegs we seem to be referring to are those from birds of prey (a.k.a talons). For a swimming creature like a duck then the webbed feet already available should do fine.
Birds like eagles, hawks, and owls are capable of snatching up fish and small animals, so a bonus for those two should be enough.

For a fast bird leg, I feel like that's something different in this case. There are non-flying birds that are very, very speedy and have no problems moving without their wings (like ostriches). There are also birds that are fast on land but only occasionally fly (like roadrunners...or chickens). That's a completely different, and longer, leg though -- not the talons found on birds of prey. A leg like that would be cool though :D
Maybe we could get 2 bird legs, one type for land birds and another for flying birds.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fortuna said:

I think that'd be a little too much. Especially since that'd totally negate the Bearyena hind legs which are only +1 to speed, strength and swimming.

I think having no speed and swimming on them would be best, since they're ideally meant to compliment winged creatures. Just the strength and fishing.

I understand where @Ancestor Nature is coming from. If bird hindlegs were added without speed and your creature didn’t have wings or a body with speed, that creature wouldn’t be able to move.

• Like 2

The legs need to at least give one speed. Maybe no swiming bonus could be a good way to balance that out. OR maybe the legs could only give +2 fishing and no atack. Or maybe it could be like the wings, if the creature has wings the legs give +1 strenght and +2 fishing, but if the creature dosn't have them it only gives 1 speed. 

• Like 1

I feel like the entire purpose of these legs would to be to give strength to a bird creature since that's what they're needed for on real birds. Since they would be bird legs I think a creature without wings would have a very difficult time walking on them, perhaps they would be best with no speed (but wings give you the 7 or 8 spaces of movement) making them only really worth while for flying creatures

so stats would be maybe 

+1 or 2 strength 

+1 or 2 fishing 

And that's all. a winged creature wouldn't be using its legs to swim unless it was a bird intended for the water, and it would have a whole lot of difficulty moving around on those tiny bird legs without its wings 

Good idea!

Winged nichelings should rely on mostly on flight for getting places, so low speed +1.
I think +1 would be better than +0 because if the nicheling did not have wings, it would not be able to move.

+4 strength sounds OP.
But I do agree that birds need more strength, because right now they're relying on horns, body type, and bearyena legs.
And body type can lower your ability to fly.

I love the idea of adding fishing ability to talons the most!
Right now in order to get the bird to eat fish, they need a fishing tail.
I wanted my bird tribe to have bird traits (peacock tail), so it's kind of lame that they have to sacrifice that ability to gather food.
Plus if you wanted to double up on fishing traits, you could have both talons and fishing tail to catch razoranhas.

+1 speed, +1 strength, +2 fishing?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ancestor Nature said:

A Taloned Hind Leg gene would fit perfectly with the new update, especially since there is a new swooping interaction. Perhaps it would offer +1 speed, +1 swimming, +1 strength and +2 fishing?

I think that'd be a little too much. Especially since that'd totally negate the Bearyena hind legs which are only +1 to speed, strength and swimming.

I think having no speed and swimming on them would be best, since they're ideally meant to compliment winged creatures. Just the strength and fishing.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 5:30 PM, Fortuna said:

Yes, I personally think it might be too much as well, but since all hind leg genes have at least +1 speed and swimming, I think a bird hind leg gene should as well, otherwise some nichelings would not be able to move.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:52 PM, Pokestardragacraft said:

I understand where @Ancestor Nature is coming from. If bird hindlegs were added without speed and your creature didn’t have wings or a body with speed, that creature wouldn’t be able to move.

Yes, that is what I mean.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:12 PM, Bout de Carton said:

The legs need to at least give one speed. Maybe no swiming bonus could be a good way to balance that out. OR maybe the legs could only give +2 fishing and no atack. Or maybe it could be like the wings, if the creature has wings the legs give +1 strenght and +2 fishing, but if the creature dosn't have them it only gives 1 speed. 

A bird hind leg gene would not need strength, so perhaps strength could be removed, leaving +1 speed, +1 swimming and +2 fishing. It would not be as strong, but it would be more fair.

• Like 1

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. One speed would be important. I definitely feel like they shouldn't have more than three stats on them though. With all the other hindlegs only have 3 stats on them, having four on one specific feels too strong.

• Like 2

maybe instead of strength, it has something called seize, and this has a 25% or 50% chance to cause stun on the target when the fly and attack is used

bird talons

1 speed

1 swimming'

seize(25% or 50% chance to stun target for a day when fly and attack is used)

2 fishing with two wings maybe

2 seizing strength(fly and attack damage) with 2 wings maybe

edit: thanks lilytuft, I repurposed this from owlparrot genes and why has noone came up with this? I mean talons are not just meant to inflict damage, they are meant to SEIZE and grab prey to prevent them from escaping the bird's grasp, for example, if your nicheling isn't strong enough to kill a walrus deer easily, then your nicheling can stun it and kill it when it is unable to escape or fight back, or it can be used against particularily powerful predators like for example apes to disable them for a bit

I imagine talons as the sleeker alternative to bearyena claws, that enable you to disable prey and catch fish, while bearyena hindlegs enable MORE DAMAGE

• Like 2

I would suggest that they give:
+2 Fishing, +1 Strength, +1 Speed.

This way they wouldn't replace any existing legs in their roles entirely and would both allow Nichelings that can't fly to still move with them whilst still giving a boost to flying creatures with the strength and fishing.