Stray Fawn Community

New Feature Suggestions

Aysling

Is it possible to mod Niche, or will it be made available later?

I've played the game for around 40 hrs now, and I've got a couple suggestions on making some improvements.

1. Nicheling selection!  There doesn't seem to be a way to select Nichelings in-game other than clicking on them?  This could be added to the family tree, or (my preference) a separate panel could be added.  Clicking on the 'Animals' wedge could open/close it. You could sort them by name, gender, age.  There could be toggles to add in other information that the player wishes to sort by, to keep the panel size to a manageable size.  Trying to find a single Nicheling amongst the 25 that I currently have is a giant pain!
  2. Selection box around Nichelings hex - to make it more obvious which one is selected.
  3. In-game notes.
  4. Toggleable names above Nichelings heads - or even showing the name when hovering over a nicheling.
  5. I'm not sure why the Nichelings left behind on an island have to die.  Couldn't they just 'go feral' or something?  I know it's just a wording difference, but still.  I wouldn't feel awful every time I leave an island =(  
  6. Notifications need significant improvement.  When a gene is unlocked, it would be nice to know WHICH gene it was.  Including the name of the dead animal in the notification would be helpful. Or possibly make the corpse selectable, so the name can be seen that way?  Notifications that an animal is sick seems to come up every round, instead of when they are born/acquire a new disease.  Auto-selecting a baby when 'show me' is clicked on the newborn notification would be useful.
  7. Being able to close the Skills/Genes/Mutations panels.
  8. A toggle to deactivate breeding a particular animal.

Those are all things that would improve the basic game, without really altering the game itself.  The suggestions below would be fun to see but would be pretty large departures from the game in its current implementation.

1. Separate tribes when you leave an island.  Instead of the nichelings leaving your control, they just form a separate tribe and the two (or more!) tribes continue to evolve independently.  The food/nest material would be tracked per tribe.  I think in order for this to work some form of automation would have to be added.  You could select specific niechlings or tribes to 'go feral' and they would then fend for themselves.  The player could go back and look at previous tribes, to see how they've developed. 
  2. Nutrition - right now all nichelings seem to be omnivores?  Even omnivores need varied diets, though!  There could be hunger/starvation added in if they aren't eating food from multiple categories often enough.  Different categories would include berries, nuts, fish, and...pond floor food?  Worms?  I'm not sure what they eat there. 

• Like 3

Hi @Aysling
Thanks for your detailed feedback :)
You are raising some very important points here!
Currently there are no plans for modding support. This might change if enough people want it and it therefore scores high in the next community voting.

Love all of your suggestions!
It would be amazing if you add the ones you like most in the feature request section:
https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/forum/15-feature-requests/

About 5:
So you mean all animals left behind become wild animals?
The problem I see here is time. If you come back 1 hour (and 5 generations) later would you suggendly encounter your grand-grand-grand-grand-grand dad xD?

About 6:
There is a suggestion for gene unlocking notifications here:

https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/589-unlook-gene-menu-notifications/
Please give it an upvote if you like it :)

• Like 1

Thanks, Philo, I'll do that!  I did notice the gene unlocking notification in the other forum after posting it here ^^;  I've upvoted that one!

About number 5 - I was under the impression you never returned to the same island.  Is that not the case?  Either way, the wording change is what was important here.  Gameplay wouldn't change (they would still be killed off in the background).  In the separate tribes suggestion, I guess you could encounter your ancestors if returning to the same island is possible!1

• Like 1

Ahh I see!
If it's just a wording change we can absoluetely do that!
We just need to make sure it's still understandable that you will never see them again.
If you come up with a specific scentence, feel free to share it here :)

• Like 1

@Aysling

For your 7th suggestion: you can already do that! Just click anywhere on the map that isn't a tile with a Nicheling on it, and the genes/skills/mutations tab will close. You can also completely hide the UI by pressing the U key on your keyboard.

• Like 2