Stray Fawn Community

Scent Marking

wolfhowlmay

I think a really cool feature to have in the game would be scent marking so creatures can more efficiently separate into clans or tribes and make claims on territories.

This could happen by a certain button on the keyboard (maybe P, would make sense but don't know if that already does something) that allows the creature to leave it's scent on the tile it's standing on. this 'scent' could then be seen in scent mode, maybe as the color of the gem the creature had who made it since different creatures would have different scents.

I just thought of this right now so there's probably a lot of flaws in my idea, if anyone likes the idea of this or has some recommendations of how it could be fixed up to make more sense please let me know in the comments because I think this could be a cool addition to the game, especially for players with really large packs. Thanks for reading ^_^

Edited by wolfhowlmay
  • Like 12

5 replies to this post

@Draconiya I think it would be really cool to have it effect other creatures, I never even thought of that. The scent of a female nicheling could attract rouges while males drove them away and would probably repel away wanderers since they wouldn't want to enter a claimed territory. And though it may be a downside to scare off the rabbit creatures it could be useful for scaring them and wanderers away from your food sources

• Like 4

I kind of like that, actually. And maybe the scent would repel Rogue Males and/or wandering Nichelings, or attract them depending on either the colour or what kind of marker you had the Nicheling leave? And the drawback could be it attracting bearyenas and/or scaring bunnils away? So many possibilities with this idea, both for the gameplay and the story.

• Like 4

I like the idea of scent marking, and I imagine that it would work by giving most objects a new interaction called “Scent Mark”, which would allow you to mark the object with your scent for a few days. Scent marked objects would glow green when smelling, indicating that it belongs to your tribe, while yellow scent marked objects would indicate wild nichelings, and red scent marked objects would indicate rogue males.

• Like 3