Stray Fawn Community

New gene suggestion: Bat Head

DangerousDodo

Hello all!

I thought I would share a gene idea: Bat Head.

We don't currently have a counter for the sleepy flies on the swamp islands, so I thought I would think of something to combat that.

If a nicheling has a bat head, it is able to collect the flies as a food source since bats usually feed on insects.

This head would disable ears and provide a high hearing ability. Bats are fantastic at detecting possible prey through echolocation. Basically, the bat hears echos from it's ultrasound vocalization (squeaks) and is able to track prey through that, hence the idea of a high hearing ability.

Here's a little drawing I did in order to visualize what the head might possibly look like.

Thanks for looking! :D

5ad631f3cc199_badhead.thumb.png.5247549833a09d8d0389a5e3cebc1df2.png

• Like 15

23 replies to this post

What about echolocation as the unique bat snout ability?  1 smell, 1 collecting (for insect-eating), and echolocation.

Echolocation: Your effective vision range cannot be smaller than your hearing range.

Like wings, I think this would encourage something of a specialized playstyle in which you really commit to the echolocation, with big ears and reduced vision.

I like the idea greatly, and the illustration you provided!

A few fun downsides/upsides could be Lick to Heal, actually causes the bleeding to worsen. And, attacks always cause a Bleeding Buff on the creature you attack. :P

(A trait of blood drinking bats that I find interesting, their saliva is an anticoagulant. Bats are so cool.)

Think if you put an all black flying niche with the big nose gene and the big ears gene  it looks a lil like the drawing but a lot like Fruit bats or Fruit fox which can fly during the day.  All the devs have to do is turn the sprite upside-down and move the perch to a branch so it looks like it's hanging.

Love the idea

Edited by Niche fan
had bird not flying niche, want to be clear
  • Haha 1

@Tarruvi
Congratulations. You throughly confused me and made me google two defitions to understand this post;

On 6/19/2018 at 3:33 AM, Tarruvi said:

I like the idea greatly, and the illustration you provided!

A few fun downsides/upsides could be Lick to Heal, actually causes the bleeding to worsen. And, attacks always cause a Bleeding Buff on the creature you attack. :P

(A trait of blood drinking bats that I find interesting, their saliva is an anticoagulant. Bats are so cool.)

xD

Anyways, awesome idea! Upvote for you Dodo!

On 4/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, Philo said:

Uuu very cool illustration!
And that would certainly combine well with the bat wings we're adding!
You have my upvote sir!

Are there bat wings still in development, or, were the wings we got in the latest update the only pair?

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, Asterai said:

What about echolocation as the unique bat snout ability?  1 smell, 1 collecting (for insect-eating), and echolocation.

Echolocation: Your effective vision range cannot be smaller than your hearing range.

Like wings, I think this would encourage something of a specialized playstyle in which you really commit to the echolocation, with big ears and reduced vision.

Yeah, that would be pretty fun to play with in game. Having a blind bat nicheling that can uses squeaks instead to see. So, this would be the only instance where blindness isn’t all too bad. XP

Perhaps this should be a whole other topic but maybe there could be a variant of this gene or this could be incorporated into this new gene but what about a vampire bat head or just vampire bat fangs?

In appearance it'd be identical to your idea except with longer fangs, sorta like poison fangs on a bat head basically. This gene would also have the same abilities as the normal bat head, maybe with the exception of insect eating

Perks:

- Causes bleeding every time the creature attacks another animal

- Coagulant abilities: increase the rate of blood loss on bleeding animals even if they have normal blood clotting(as well as more incentive to keep hemophilia out of your tribe otherwise they'd be in big trouble)

- Distasteful Appearance

- Perhaps +1 in attack?(I dont want to make this suggestion op but at the same time those fangs were meant to break through skin)

- Regenerative abilities, basically sucking blood and causing damage to other creatures in order to heal its own wounds