Stray Fawn Community

Rodent teeth - a new snout gene​🐹

Lilytuft

(I just want rat nichelings, okay?)

Rhodent teeth(name suggestions are welcome) would be a new gene in the head slot. It would be unlocked by (insert unlock condition here) and it would give 2 smelling, 1 cracking and 1 attack. (I might edit the stats later. I'm a bit unsure about the attack, but without it it would be just a weaker cracker jaw. Isect collecting? @BirdsAreCool help me)

image.png.52c6f16510bed8f1602617c1539178ac.pngimage.png.7df52125f60ae3766235828643f8dccb.pngimage.png.1cf0997068bdc7560ae1b06f374eba25.pngimage.png.eb7504a27099e79c5c7bff68b8d87fdb.pngimage.thumb.png.c50d550c8538bbccc960a7eed5605690.png

• Like 5

14 replies to this post

1 minute ago, The elf pup & cat dino said:

One step closer to eventually having rabbil nichelings

Eventually? How about right now?image.png.59be8b077b8b0557b3e2fc8180879397.png

• Eek! 1
  • Paw up 1

Just now, The elf pup & cat dino said:

We need ears that look like rabbit ears. Those are fennec fox ears.

yes we do need rabbit ears

• Paw up 1

59 minutes ago, Morso said:

yes we do need rabbit ears

Also for this gene I think those teeth would be sharp enough to do damage. Cracking, not so sure. Some rodents dug with their teeth, so maybe replace cracking with digging?

• Paw up 1

Just now, The elf pup & cat dino said:

Also for this gene I think those teeth would be sharp enough to do damage. Cracking, not so sure. Some rodents dug with their teeth, so maybe replace cracking with digging?

This is mostly based on rats and beavers. Beavers can cut down trees and I have personal experience on rats. They can do damage on stuff.  A nut shell is no match for these teeth! 🐀

• Paw up 1

4 minutes ago, magnolia said:

I can only imagine nichelings that look like naked morale rats :0

Im afraid to upvote....

image.png.6208fd1896cd731bb0111ba2957e52dd.png

4 minutes ago, magnolia said:

Fine. Okay Morso but only because I like you... :D 

That's so sweet! Thank you!

59 minutes ago, Morso said:

This is mostly based on rats and beavers. Beavers can cut down trees and I have personal experience on rats. They can do damage on stuff.  A nut shell is no match for these teeth! 🐀

okay then.

• Like 1

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you, I haven't been on here in a while :)

I think it would make sense to compare how a nicheling would use rodent-like teeth to a larger rodent than a rat. It's hard to say exactly what size nichelings are supposed to be, but I think it's safe to assume they're larger than most rodents alive today

Rodent-like teeth could be used for grazing, which I believe is what capybaras (the largest extant rodent) uses their teeth for. However, grazing isn't something that is in the game, so unless this was added then obviously this wouldn't work

Instead, it could be based off of something like Josephoartigasia monesi (it's a bit of a mouthful lol but I don't think it has a common name). This is the largest rodent known to science and it died out a couple million years ago. Scientists have discovered that it's teeth were much stronger than necessary for just eating. They assume it used its teeth for digging stuff up and self defence, sort of like how elephants and that use their tusks

This was the most interesting rodent I could find, other than this rodent teeth mainly seem to be used for chewing things. If you want it to be based off of rats then I don't really know how you could make that more interesting, sorry :| I wouldn't use insect collecting tho, rodent teeth aren't really the best adapted for that

Here's the article I used for info about H. monesi for anyone interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31111843

Edit: strength could still work for something like a rat or a beaver actually. Beavers have a bite force equal to twice that of human! xD rip i just wrote all of this for nothing

Edit 2: @The elf pup & cat dino they technically can't crack open nuts, but they can chew through them which would have the same end result so cracking would work. Digging would work as well as cracking and strength, so it's really up to @Morso to decide which stats they prefer

Edited by BirdsAreCool
  • Thanks 1

awesome! I do have rodent/lagomorph genes ideas take a look:

Which means with this kind of feature nichelings can perform a new ability: “gnawing”!  also I think you should add the gnawing ability on your gene too, and the unlock conditions would be travel to “first winter” island

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:50 PM, giugirl said:

awesome! I do have rodent/lagomorph genes ideas take a look:

Which means with this kind of feature nichelings can perform a new ability: “gnawing”!  also I think you should add the gnawing ability on your gene too, and the unlock conditions would be travel to “first winter” island

i got the idea of the unlock conditions for this gene be “travel to “first winter island”” is because of based on animals that builds their “homes”/burrows to not only protect from predators and nest their young as well for a shelter for food stocking for the winter or periods where the food resources are smaller;

also as you see the gnawing ability also allow to the nichelings gather food or nest materials on tree stumps and certain bushes depending on the tree, because there’s trees, stumps, thick logs and specific dead bushes that will only provide you only food, while others can provide you only nest materials and some can provide you both food and nest materials but those are rare and this 3 kinds can be found in some islands depending on the biome and the difficulty.

also for your gene since i also gave you the suggestion of it’s improvement for the addition of my ability idea “gnawing”, based on the concept in the description and following the criteria of genes based on the game’s wiki, would be the same except that instead of attack is +1 gnawing and 1+ strength. 

What do you think? 🙂