Stray Fawn Community

How do you run your tribe? :D

I looked around for a topic already like this but I didn't find anything (besides one for gems specifically), so I thought it might be fun to talk about our strategies and methods in leading our little Nichelings and maybe get ideas from each other :D

I like to set up 5 breeding pairs with compatible immunities (and making sure I keep the Home Island immunity going strong), who stay in a "nesting" area, and have them give me about 2 or 3 litters. From those I chose the next 5 pairs to linger in the nest area and send the others siblings and the original parents on their way to explore, hunt, gather, or defend against bearyenas (this usually means I end up with 30+ neichelings at any given time, it makes things quite chaotic!) I also like to set up gem colors as blue for hunters, pink for my breeding pairs, green for gatherers, orange for defenders, and yellow for scouts and explorers. I'd love for there to be more gem colors so I can micro-manage things even more, lol!

For now my tribe is water-bodied, with a mix of cracker jaw and platypus beaks, fishing tails, and a mix of claws and runner legs, and some permanent ram horns (can't wait to get antlers!) It makes it easier to not worry about drowning and gives me a place to escape to (aka the ocean), if I managed to land on an island with some pesky apes. Plus fishing is an extra food source, if a bit annoying to track down. For now in the grasslands I like to clear out the grass to keep bearyenas from spawning right in the middle of my camp. But I feel that once I set sites for a jungle I'll keep everything grassy, just so I can make use of that camouflage boost.

I haven't done too much in the game, I've unlocked quite a few genes but haven't lingered on any islands beyond the grassland and archipelago islands (I did manage to unlock stinky tail in the jungle by setting out a few "sacrificial" neichilings to harvest the smelly plant while everyone else stayed in the water. RIP those brave souls, the apes found 'em eventually). I'm trying to slowly unlock other genes by putting a tentative foot in the burning savannah or mountains and running away to the next port before my food store runs out. Eventually I'd like to unlock big body gene so I can tough out the mountains, as hunting is my favorite way of getting food, lol

So how do you guys like to run your tribes? :D Do you like to chase off intruders or invite them in? Big or little tribes? Make little stories for your neichlings? What are your favorite set of genes for different islands? :3 Tell us about it!

• Like 2

I run my tribe kinda similar to yours! :)

My nichelings are very diverse and serve many different purposes. I breed some animals for collecting, some for fighting, some for exploring, and the "rejects" with bad genetics are the punching bags of the team haha. They stall apes and collect cactus berries when stores are low. They may not be eligible for breeding, but I've found that having some punching bag nichelings in the tribe is actually quite useful. I'd rather have a double deformed paw short sighted nicheling sacrifice itself for the tribe than a my perfectly healthy ones who's genes I want to keep going strong.

I only let lone wanderers into my tribe if they are either

1. Carrying immunity gene(s) that my current tribe does have

or

2. Decently healthy and useful genes

Otherwise I just kill 'em haha. Don't want them stealing my food.

In short I breed very selectively and I'm very picky about what wanderers come into the tribe.

• Like 1

I usually play with the warriors challenge (book series by Erin Hunter). In addition to that I like to keep my tribe really diversified with a lot of different looks and traits. Not much else apart from that except that I try to breed out bad eyesight but don't mind breeding with rogue males if they have a new gene I want.

Also I like to have a fair number of strong Nichelings. They usually come in greater numbers than my collector nichelings but I usually don't mark them after collector, hunter etc.

• Like 1

I like to play kinda casually. I just breed all my favorite/best-gened Nichelings and bring the best to new islands. I tend to breed quite a lot, but usually realize it and slow down before I have too many. In my main tribe, all my Nichelings have Antlers, and many have some Albinism in them, which makes half my tribe albino. I try and get them to have 1 Nimble Fingers and 1 Bearyena Claw, but a lot of them tend to get double of one of them. I've gathered so much food, I'm at almost 800 right now, and at about 700 nesting material. I'm so used to making nests whenever I want that I'll forget when I'm playing on a different tribe xD

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Moonar Landing said:

Oh I love those books :D What's this Warrior's challenge - I haven't heard of it

The rules mentioned above are pretty accurate but if you have read the books it is just like any clan in the books. With names and the codes and stuff :D

• Like 1

I always have my nichelings constantly gathering food, unless they're heading towards a new island. It results in there usually being over 1000 food. In some of my tribes I am extremely strict and have them be territorial, killing all wanderers who enter their territory. But some will just accept the wanderers even if they won't be breeding. For each generation, I choose some of my favourite creatures to be breeders. Often it'll be a bunch of females just with one male. I'll breed them until I get what I want from them, and compatible pairs in the next generation. The ones who I do not decide to breed immediately will go out and do exploring and collecting, same with retired breeders. Problem is some I get attached to and want to breed. I enjoy adding story to the creatures, so I had one who was hunting bunnies to impress a female, unfortunately I then realized they shared an immunity gene. But then his older brother who had been risking his life fighting the ape (I wasunlucky enough to get an ape tree on a grass mingle island), he had arrived and had a few babies with the female so the younger brother kept angrily hunting bunnies. So I do include a lot of story into the tribe, but i'll still make sure they can survive.

• Like 3

I have one big tribe, and sometimes I'll split them up, like I send two or three Nichelings (They're compatable for breeding, as that is crucial to the way I play) to explore new land. And once they clear some grass and find a good place for a nest, i breed them, and once they have their child, i give them all different gem colors from the rest of the tribe. And when i play like this, i call the smaller groups 'Factions' and sometimes these factions get so big, they're like a tribe onto themselves. Sometimes I'll mix factions if two Nichelings have recessive genes i want in my tribe [Ex: I had a water faction female and a meadow faction male (Blue and green gems, respectively) and they both had poison fangs recessive, the male had them active AND recessive, so i had them use a permanent nest near a toxic berry bush to have children. And when they were born i gave them either two blue gems and a green one in the middle or two green gems and a blue one in the middle, to show the merging of factions]

• Like 2

It's been a while since I've played because I've been waiting for the update [need that little spice of new-ness, y'know?], but I play two different ways:

#1: Fast-Paced

• For fast-paced play, I like breeding up 'tanks' to be as quick as they can while also being as strong as possible. In this form of play, I make the gem colors as close to the fur color of the individual as possible, to make them kinda blend in. Often my tanks have Megaloceros Horns, Hammer Tail, Sabertooth Fangs, Double Bearyena Claws, Regular Hind Legs, and Medium Bodies. The ears don't really matter to me, so I just go with whichever I feel like at that time, though I gotta say I'm partial to Round and Bearyena.

#2: Long-Term

• For long-term play, I like to unlock every single gene possible, then go to a large island and break my pack up into five groups- one for each gem color. Then I push them to the far edges of the island and have each group evolve their own characteristics, such as: Blue- big nose, velvet paw/digger paw, medium body, antlers, fluffy tail; Pink- sabertooth fangs, double claws, toxic body, megaloceros horns, stinky tail; Yellow- cracker jaw, double running legs, ram horns, big body, hammer tail; Orange- Bearyena snout, double bearyena legs, no horns, water body, fishing tail; Green- Poison fangs, double nimble fingers, no horns, spiky body.

I'm really looking forward to the updates so that I can try using new tactics and combinations! Maybe somewhere down the line they will add more gem colors and that would be awesome!

• Like 4

I have one breeding pair at a time I show no mercy to the other nichelings once another breeding pair is born. It's a pretty good strategy if you are familiar to it but only issues are low population and immunity. Its a fast yet merciless way to play.  

• Like 1

So far in my tribe, I've used one method of breeding for a while that seems to work really well, and keeps the tribe stocked with food and nesting material. 

In the tribe, I write down the generation (Currently generation N/14) and all of the nichelings born in it, their immunity, gender, and any defects they may have. When all of their parents have stopped breeding (recorded on the page next to it) I start pairing/grouping them up like this (names are examples from my thingy now):

Gen N - All members

Kuro - F+G

Koanasi - I+B

Roduk - I+C

Asakona - G+D

Nukirta - D+G

Roskinku - STAR+A

Dukkir - G+A, Haemophilia, deformed paw

And so on. On the other page, once all of the members of a generation have been born, I do this:

Anarasi: F+B

- Roduk

- Kirnuvan

- Duknuvan

Roskinku: STAR+A

- Koanasi

- Asakona

- Anarasi

- Koana

- Israsi

Rara: K+E

- Kuro

- Nukirta

- Rokuvan

- Dukkaru

The way this works is that I've divided up the land into parts that have a lot of natural nests in close proximity, each with a colour assigned to it. I've explored all of the land on the island I'm on, so this is a lot easier to manage (Even though the nesting areas are often packed with nichelings). Traits aren't big to me yet, since I don't have the most recent update/s for some reason, only survival ones matter. After a long time of breeding lone animals with haemophilia, blind eyes, and deformed paws, I have completely gotten rid of them! Almost all of my animals have good eyesight, normal blood clotting, and 6 fertility, which took forever lmao, so breeding is a whole lot easier. With my groups, the animal with the coloured name is basically the alpha, as they're the animal that breeds with all the others listed below them. The pairings/groupings are made mostly using immunity as the deciding factor, defects second, and if all survival needs are fine, I choose based on appearance/other traits (claw, nimble fingers, cracker jaw, etc). The alpha only breeds once with each member of their group, unless they produce really good kids, so I don't have 60 nichelings in my tribe. Although I only breed once for each animal, I still have 42 nichelings, which isn't that bad when you have 2000 food and 600 nesting material. I generally try to have my nichelings reproduce mid-adult stage, since getting them to have kids really early results in overpopulation. 

The reason I get so much food is because when animals that either weren't selected for breeding or have had all the kids they were assigned for, they go off and "retire" (they do this still pretty young) to live out the rest of their lives using their best traits. Say if an animal has claws, fishing tail, and webbed paw, that animal will most likely breed, and then go off to a lake to catch fish every day until they die. If another animal has double nimble fingers and cracker jaw, they'll sit by a bush and collect food and prey. You get the point. When you have about 10-15 adults that have always been somewhat banished from the nesting area or are done with breeding at all times, this method gets you a lot of food and nesting material. The cycle with the animals continues using this.

• Like 2

I've been mostly just playing with breeding pairs, breeding them until they give me a compatible pair, then everyone not breeding goes off to scout or get food while the two that will be breeding the next lot move towards the ports. I'll usually have two or three breeding pairs, depending on the number of tiles on the ports. One pair will be collecting, the other is fighters.

I really want to play a game where I make it a lot more story driven, but I always find that I end up going back to my default, which makes the game less interesting after awhile. I get too worried about not having pairs that won't make sick babies. People who do challenges and stories always impress me because of that!

• Like 4

I just jump into action without really thinking. I can't really manage things. Whenever some of the breeding creatures die I just choose new ones that populate the entire area while the other ones go out for food. I often realize that I need to choose new breeding pairs too late so it's quite challenging for me to keep everyone alive. I also rarelly bring in wanderers because they often cary a lot of genes that are not that good and I'm too lazy to breed them out. Only exception is when I really need more imunity genes and I find a wanderer that's decent, but I just often get my new imunity genes from creatures traped in ice.  

• Like 2

Pt 2: Gems

Lol I'm back. I made a new lil' system to go with my tribe thing, as I accidentally kept breeding the WRONG creatures without looking, which luckily didn't result in any sick nichelings, but was annoying me bc it wasn't to plan. This is how I now organise my creatures:

Green: Unchosen breeding groups, no pathway yet (generally teens + kids)

Orange: Not a breeder, either hunter or collector

Blue: Alpha/leader of a breeding group

Pink: Breeder

Yellow: Elder (all ranks except orange become this when finished breeding plan)

This system isn't very complex, but it works for me, as my tribe currently has 57 members (yikes) and I don't have much time to change gems for everyone, all the time. Anyway, thanks for reading. :D

• Like 1

@oof.zip oh yeah I often get carried away when there's too many creatures and start breeding the wrong pairs. That's an intersting system tho, maybe too much to handle for me since I often end up with millions of nichelings but I could keep that in mind. 

I often just change the gems of two creatures that will breed together to kinda match so I won't forget who breeds with who when I have toons of nichelings but that's about it. Sometimes I change them just for costumization, for example match the eye colour of the nicheling. 

• Like 1

My main tribe has 3600+ food... andalso 80+ members... And I'msupposed to leave to a new island but I just can't laeve all those beautiful nichelings behind... Also I have never beaten the storymode xD

• Like 2

When I start my tribe off, I have the starting creatures breed at least until there's children compatible with each other. If no wanderers arrive before the starting creatures are dead, i'll breed the compatible children together. Sometimes i'll do risky pairing just for the sake of the story, though I don't really mind having a few sickly nichelings around as long as I keep them away from the others.

When moving to new islands with 10 spaces, I decide 5 nichelings and then mates for them. Often if there's some genes I want to keep, i'll decide to pick one to represent each of those genes. I'll write down the genes and write down the names of those that carry it, and then look at them in the family tree to decide who would be the best to go.

Even when i'm not planning on going anywhere where these genes will be too useful, I often accidentally focus on breeding in the stinky tail and big ears because those are some of my favourite genes. Once I was preparing for a snow island and I realize too late that I accidentally bred in those genes.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Moonar Landing said:

Oh my 3600 food is so much!! I'm jealous at your skills xD

When you spend forever on an archipelago with and oversized tribe and half of them spend all of their time harvesting food from the sea, and other half focuses on breeding, nuts and berries, food kinda starts building up...

• Like 2

My tribe play is highly unorganized, but is mainly based on a name system, or at least is starting to be.  Each future 'chief' has the suffix feather.  I also try to limit how many Nichlings I have by having 20 at the most.  I feel things are much harder to name and such if I do not do this.  I am very picky about who I let in genetics wise, and will avoid any wandering Nichling that has more than one obvious problem with it.  I also despise derp snout and will avoid it at all costs.  I try to have Nichlings with nimble fingers as soon as possible as well, and like a diverse and healthy mix of genetics.

• Like 2