Stray Fawn Community

Gene Upgrade: Platypus Beaks/Gills Detect Electric Currents

Moonar Landing

It annoys me a little that you're able to see fish on your vision sensors and find underwater dig sites only if you're standing next to them, but unable to see them when entering the smell/hearing screens. So as a solution that's both realistic and useful game-wise, I think the platypus beak and gills should be able to detect electric currents in the water. 

A platypus' beak has a whole bunch of sensors in them that allow them to utilize "electroreception," which just means they can sense electric currents to locate prey. Sharks also share this type of "sixth sense" in their snouts, which also helps make them excellent predators!

I figured this change would work much like smell or hearing would, entering the screen would put a green highlight around prey (or predator), entities in the nearby tiles. It would make it easier to find dig sites for our platypus-beaked nichelings rather than the current method of hoping-you-happen-to-be-right-next-to-it. Maybe for the cases of fish, where there's no grass or anything that really "blocks" your sight of them, the electric currents can leave a trail outside your current sight-range that's stronger the closer you are to the schools of fish, and grows weaker (and eventually disappearing completely), the further away you are. It would also be an ability exclusive to the platypus beak and gills which would make them much more valuable to shoot for when making a water-dwelling tribe!

Edited by Moonar Landing
spelling
  • Like 9

5 replies to this post