Stray Fawn Community

Ask Angel About M-I/D/Ds!

wikipedia [he/him]

1 minute ago, glitched wikipedia (angel) said:

How so? In meaning? 

Dys = inability to 

calculia = maths 

Thus, dyscalculia is 'the inability to preform actions related to maths'

Thanks, that clears some things up already!

Also, is this common?

1 minute ago, Aetherbee said:

I’m like 99% sure I don’t have this but it describes me.

But also, time. Sometimes I feel as though my brain can’t comprehend it. Like, I have no ‘internal clock’ no time orientation. 

Like I could totally spend 5 minutes typing this and say I spent 1 or 10. 

I also have trouble understanding chronology of memories like ‘Was that memory of me Doing my homework from last night or today?’

Usually it doesn’t happen to that extent, but often leaves me scrambling to find out where I placed my lunchbox. It’s like trying to complete a puzzle but a lot of the pieces match with ones they shouldn’t go with.

Do other people experience this? Is it just my ADHD? 

Well that’s why I am asking. (As a socially Awkward person I am, not about to go up to someone and try to explain it while stuttering horribly as my mind tries to find out how to word this  strange feeling.)

Also another question, not really related: How do you know so much about this?

I kinda feel like you’d be a person just to walk into the Psychology section at B&N and read.

29 minutes ago, Aetherbee said:

Do other people experience this? Is it just my ADHD? 

Nope, I experience it too! However, this does come with ADHD- not all people experience the same symptoms, like a pick and mix at the cinema. :D 

32 minutes ago, Aetherbee said:

Also another question, not really related: How do you know so much about this?

I kinda feel like you’d be a person just to walk into the Psychology section at B&N and read.

I- I've done that before. 

You called me out :P

23 minutes ago, glitched wikipedia (angel) said:

Nope, I experience it too! However, this does come with ADHD- not all people experience the same symptoms, like a pick and mix at the cinema. :D 

I- I've done that before. 

You called me out :P

Don’t worry I nearly did that in the line waiting for Stacyplays. 

I managed to restrain myself because I had ‘Escape to the Mesa’ to read. (Also not to mention the hundreds of people both sides of me.)

(I have no idea wether or not to use italics or quotes for that. Pretty sure italics but whatever.)

1 hour ago, Aetherbee said:

Like I could totally spend 5 minutes typing this and say I spent 1 or 10. 

I also have trouble understanding chronology of memories like ‘Was that memory of me Doing my homework from last night or today?’

Me described in 2 sentences 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, glitched wikipedia (angel) said:

tumblr_onbfciCTJa1r6svhdo1_500.jpg

Some of these do fit me, but I don't think I have this...

I have a big problem with telling my left and right side apart - sometimes I'll ask myself "where do I hold the pen?" and I still take the left instead of the right hand. I also constantly wear my headphones the wrong way around. It took me years to learn how to tell the time, when everyone could do it without a problem, and about four/three years ago I just couldn't figure out how to work with formulas. I could learn them all by heart easily, but in an exam I would fail because I didn't think of rearranging the learned formulas.

On the other hand, most of the other things contradict me.

10 hours ago, glitched wikipedia (angel) said:

tumblr_onbfciCTJa1r6svhdo1_500.jpg

I feel like ‘lack of confidence in answers’ could nearly be knocked off.

I legit watched a whole TED talk on how school makes kids afraid of getting answers wrong. 

Now this his gets me thinking if someone at a young age in someway gets trauma of reading/doing math, could they get Dyslexia or Dyscalculia?

It’s very easy to get trauma from a young age and when your like 4 or 5 it could literally change your life if someone laughs at you for getting an answer wrong.

would this be like some kind of Faux Dyslexia/calculia (because as far as I know it is genetic.)

like this one guy, didn’t know how to read. And didn’t want to.

I feel as though everyone has different paces so why put the slower people in a Dyslexic (just gonna day Dyslexic for simplicity.) category. Like I was REALLY slow at mathematics when I was young, and like I said, most of those things described me (at the point I’m talking about, I bet maybe my teacher had thought I was.) I often got confused, angry, and frustrated. Like you ask me 203-150 I’d sit there for a second and think... and think... and this persisted for about 1st-4th grade. 

Honestly, probably my anger issues came from pent up frustration from math. 

So in summary: what differentiates a person who is just so in math from someone with dyscalculia?

also, am I the only who think of that Count Dracula dude from Sesame Street when I hear Dyscalculia?  

I'm just haunted by a creepily accurate jerk that does not let me oversleep, ever. Time clearly has to exist in 10 minute intervals. You shouldn't be allowed to both space out and feel 3 minutes of your life running away all day, every day.

My dad virtually can't get lost and remembers the layout of some way to some harbour 5 years later because he's been there once. And hated the service from a restaurant. He's not even that good at spatial tasks, nor am I really involved in observing my enviroment. It doesn't really add up sometimes. Especially when your episodal memory gets bad enough to forget yesterday somewhat, and the day before almost entirely.

6 hours ago, spacecat at random said:

Especially when your episodal memory gets bad enough to forget yesterday somewhat, and the day before almost entirely

I’ll remember what they say but not what anyone did.

there are random fragments of conversations floating around my head, I imagine their voice so clearly you can’t help but think it’s real. But that’s the thing, I don’t know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I mean, most of colour perception is mental. Having a 4th cone is useless when you can't process it. It's also weird that the 4th cone business went from a few % (actually, never proven except for one woman, maybe. That might have changed, tho) to 25%. I haven't looked into it, but that raises a million red flags. Since men can't inherit it, every second woman would be affected. Further (also proven) despite having the cone, most can't make use of it. The claim is logically invalid to start with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OnlySlightlyEldritchFawn said:

I mean, most of colour perception is mental. Having a 4th cone is useless when you can't process it. It's also weird that the 4th cone business went from a few % (actually, never proven except for one woman, maybe. That might have changed, tho) to 25%. I haven't looked into it, but that raises a million red flags. Since men can't inherit it, every second woman would be affected. Further (also proven) despite having the cone, must can't make use of it. The claim is logically invalid to start with.

I believe theyre using the 'fourth cone' as something to explain how people can see more shades than others? (even though thats linked to rods) 

but yeah, its iffy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wikipedia (angel) said:

I believe theyre using the 'fourth cone' as something to explain how people can see more shades than others? (even though thats linked to rods) 

but yeah, its iffy 

Lobsters have 12. And that means unless we genetically modify or humans somehow evolve 12 cones, we will never see what they see. It's almost like being colorblind but you technically have better vision.

I make no sense right now I bet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wikipedia (angel) said:

please note that this person does not support those with NPD. 

Okay. Another stupid question, but how do you?

I get the NT framework somewhat after hard work. But that's a separate framework of its own and I don't know how to work with it. What can you do to understand someone with NPD better, or don't lose things in translation? I somewhat get what not to do at times with rl exposure, in rl, but that's mostly controlling my own affect since what might be a small thing to me seems highly destabilizing to these two people in particular. Can't judge anyone on that part because I'm hyperfixated on emotions too. Only, it's someone's capacity for a very specific type of anger. But what do you do or really ought to know?