Stray Fawn Community

Ask Angel About M-I/D/Ds!

wikipedia [he/him]

1 minute ago, magnolia said:

(Thanks for the clarification! Makes sense. I don’t have any food allergies except seafood possibly? I dunno. I used to like seafood but my stomach hurts after eating them. Maybe that’s just because I’m such a picky eater and it’s the power of suggestion)

I think both, but it’s hard to say. Which makes no sense because I should know myself, but I don’t??

Sometimes I’m too shy to talk, and sometimes I just don’t feel like talking to someone or have nothing to talk about.

Okay! Is it more of a mental exhaustion or does it literally hurt to talk?

• Like 1

Question about eyesight, when does bad vision turn into a disability? If a person without glasses has 20/20 vision, how ‘low’ does your vision have to be for it to legally count as a disability?

2 hours ago, Raybeams said:

Question about eyesight, when does bad vision turn into a disability? If a person without glasses has 20/20 vision, how ‘low’ does your vision have to be for it to legally count as a disability?

Anything below 18 is counted as a disability :) 

• Like 2

Guest SilverTheNicheling
On 7/10/2019 at 7:39 AM, magnillie said:

Sometimes I’m too shy to talk, and sometimes I just don’t feel like talking to someone or have nothing to talk about.

I feel the same way..

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to sound really weird- but recently whenever I listen to a “power song” (Think songs similar to Believer, by Imagine Dragons) my hands go mental. Literal madness.They start uncontrollably shaking, like when you try to dry your hands by waving them around. If I try to stop it, a get a horrible tingly feeling until “the shakes” burst outta’ me.

The other day I sat down to draw, turned on a “power song”, and couldn’t even hold my pencil. Doesn’t happen at all otherwise. Is this normal/why???  I don’t know if this is a M I/D/D, oops.

1 minute ago, Raybeams said:

This is going to sound really weird- but recently whenever I listen to a “power song” (Think songs similar to Believer, by Imagine Dragons) my hands go mental. Literal madness.They start uncontrollably shaking, like when you try to dry your hands by waving them around. If I try to stop it, a get a horrible tingly feeling until “the shakes” burst outta’ me.

The other day I sat down to draw, turned on a “power song”, and couldn’t even hold my pencil. Doesn’t happen at all otherwise. Is this normal/why???  I don’t know if this is a M I/D/D, oops.

Does this happen with anything else (such as being sad, excited, ect)- if it is, it might be Repressed Stimming? Repressed Stimming (RS) are uncontrollable actions that you can't stop- and if you try, it hurts- this is usually due to Invisible Trauma or another Underlying issue (such as anxiety). 

9 minutes ago, wikipedia (angel) said:

Does this happen with anything else (such as being sad, excited, ect)- if it is, it might be Repressed Stimming? Repressed Stimming (RS) are uncontrollable actions that you can't stop- and if you try, it hurts- this is usually due to Invisible Trauma or another Underlying issue (such as anxiety). 

I also do kicking and arm/head twitching when I get an adrenaline rush, such as being on a rollercoaster, head shaking and arm/head twitching when I get squeamish such as when I hear words/discussions about veins, ovaries, pulse, blood cells, etc. 

It’s not quite the feeling of being in pain- rather the feeling you get before you sneeze. I’ve never had any mental health issues, and it’s confusing when it happens.

• Paw up 1

16 hours ago, Raybeams said:

I also do kicking and arm/head twitching when I get an adrenaline rush, such as being on a rollercoaster, head shaking and arm/head twitching when I get squeamish such as when I hear words/discussions about veins, ovaries, pulse, blood cells, etc. 

It’s not quite the feeling of being in pain- rather the feeling you get before you sneeze. I’ve never had any mental health issues, and it’s confusing when it happens.

Seems more of a dual m-p then! Probably something known as 'ticcing'- it's completely normal and more common than people realise. :)  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spaceycat at 3.0 said:

How does a narcissistic person differ from a narcissist? (Is there a clean line or some underlying difference, or just degree and amount of traits?)

Is narcissism somewhat revertable, or a different neurology to/at a point?

A narcissistic person (or in extreme cases, a person with a god complex) is a person with only the 'rising' part of NPD. This person likely sees themselves as higher than other people, that they are always right (aka, refusing to see others opinions) and related traits. This is reversible, and is not a M-I/D/D.

A narcissist (narc) is a person with NPD, which was caused by trauma or genetics. This is not reversible, and is a personality disorder (a type of M-I/D/D). NPD includes both 'rising' traits and 'crash' traits (this is known as the 'emotional wave', and is included in other personality disorders).

According to wikipedia, the DSM-5 indicates that persons with NPD must display some or all of the following symptoms-

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
Fixation on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
Need for continual admiration from others
Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
Exploitation of others to achieve personal gain
Unwillingness to empathise with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people 
Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
Constantly demeans, bullies and belittles others

Bolded traits are 'rising' traits, while italic traits are 'crash' traits. Strikethroughed traits are traits that are ableist, and are what neurotypical people think (but aren't true). 

'Unwillingness to empathise with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people'. This is false. It is not because we don't want to, it is because we cannot- we do not understand or feel others emotions, but that does not mean we do not 'feel sorry for' 'bad emotions'. This is similar to autism. 

'Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them'. This only happens during crashes (periods of intense self-hate and depression, which do not often last long but are extreme). This could be better worded as competitive, as that covers both crashes and rises.

'Constantly demeans, bullies and belittles others'. Defence mechanism during a crash. Also depends on the person- more likely to be seen in a narcissistic person than a narc.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wikipedia (angel) said:

A narcissistic person (or in extreme cases, a person with a god complex) is a person with only the 'rising' part of NPD. This person likely sees themselves as higher than other people, that they are always right (aka, refusing to see others opinions) and related traits. This is reversible, and is not a M-I/D/D.

A narcissist (narc) is a person with NPD, which was caused by trauma or genetics. This is not reversible, and is a personality disorder (a type of M-I/D/D). NPD includes both 'rising' traits and 'crash' traits (this is known as the 'emotional wave', and is included in other personality disorders).

According to wikipedia, the DSM-5 indicates that persons with NPD must display some or all of the following symptoms-

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
Fixation on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
Need for continual admiration from others
Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
Exploitation of others to achieve personal gain
Unwillingness to empathise with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people 
Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
Constantly demeans, bullies and belittles others

Bolded traits are 'rising' traits, while italic traits are 'crash' traits. Strikethroughed traits are traits that are ableist, and are what neurotypical people think (but aren't true). 

'Unwillingness to empathise with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people'. This is false. It is not because we don't want to, it is because we cannot- we do not understand or feel others emotions, but that does not mean we do not 'feel sorry for' 'bad emotions'. This is similar to autism. 

'Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them'. This only happens during crashes (periods of intense self-hate and depression, which do not often last long but are extreme). This could be better worded as competitive, as that covers both crashes and rises.

'Constantly demeans, bullies and belittles others'. Defence mechanism during a crash. Also depends on the person- more likely to be seen in a narcissistic person than a narc.  

fun fact, 'narcissist' comes from Narcissus, a hunter in Greek mythology who was absolutely obsessed with himself. Love, a Percy Jackson fan

• Paw up 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling
18 minutes ago, Condensed Milk said:

I forget words sometimes :,D

Me too!

@wikipedia (angel)

is there such a thing as a phobia of skin contact? I really hate touching people, but I'm not sure if it's a sensory thing. I've just been that way even in childhood. Sounds harmless, but if they put a hand on me during a panic attack or something, I want to tear said person apart. Never act on it, though. Still worrying. There's no describing that amount or intensity of point blank rage. It's ugly and I'm hard to anger otherwise, let alone feel that strongly. But then it's there out of seemingly nowhere 

10 hours ago, spaceycat at 3.0 said:

@wikipedia (angel)

is there such a thing as a phobia of skin contact? I really hate touching people, but I'm not sure if it's a sensory thing. I've just been that way even in childhood. Sounds harmless, but if they put a hand on me during a panic attack or something, I want to tear said person apart. Never act on it, though. Still worrying. There's no describing that amount or intensity of point blank rage. It's ugly and I'm hard to anger otherwise, let alone feel that strongly. But then it's there out of seemingly nowhere 

Haphephobia ^^

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:20 AM, Raybeams said:

I know it isn't technically a M-I/D/D, but do you know anything about aphantasia? I'm clueless, after many long, deep conversations with my friends about what a mind's eye is and how well each as an individual we can visualise things, I'm thoroughly confused.

It's such an intriguing and difficult subject, as there's no way to truly see from someone else's prospective; as much as you can describe how vivid your mind's eye is, no one can quite imagine what it's like to be you, think like you, exist like you.

Can people actually, literally visualise things with their eyes closed? I've thought it was normal when someone says 'imagine a sandy beach, with the waves rolling in...' etc, etc, you use your memories to piece together the perfect scenario which only words can describe. I decided to test my friends, by making them shut their eyes and imagine an apple, change the background, change the colour. Then asking, 'can you see it?', to which they all responded with a decisive 'yes'. I've tried to explain to them how I imagined it, and they all informed me that was not how they were seeing it.

Sorry for rambling, I apologise for any grammar/spelling mistakes. Also- if you don't know what aphantasia is this probably makes absolutely no sense, sorry again. Sorry (again, again) for posting this on a kind of unrelated thread. Are there any easy ways to tell if you have aphantasia? What do you see in your mind's eye? 

https://deathlywitchy.tumblr.com/post/179347907913/visualizing-without-visuals-low

tumblr_povvkdGCYP1x7fcx1o1_1280.jpg tumblr_povvkdGCYP1x7fcx1o2_1280.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Oh, I have a question! It's not really about a mental illness, but I hope you can still answer it.

Sometimes, when I'm angry, I start to cry. I'm not sad or anything, just enraged, but I still tear up -why? Also, is there a chance this comes and goes, because I've started to have this about two years ago.