Stray Fawn Community

Fluffy ears

Ren

So, I suggested fluffy ears in the last community voting. It didn't get enough votes though, so I thought I would suggest it again with some art I did. They would be floppy (just because I'd love some more ear variety) and the stats would be:

+2 cold resistane 

-1 heat resistance.

+2 hearing (a little less hearing than normal cause of all the fluff!)

+1 Smelling (I saw someone suggest this)

I would really like to hear what people think.  Also, digital art is not my strong point so I apologise for the awful drawing.

image.png.3bedf73a7080e7c8cbf6c45be9677c57.png

• Like 14
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Draconiya said:

I would like fluffy ears, too. However, maybe they could be more like a lynx's tufted ears, or the ears of an arctic fox, and not like cuddly dog ears? That's just my opinion, though.

Well, there are 4 (I think) different ear types in the game. All of them are upright ears. You're suggesting that fluffy ears would be upright too, right? It's just that if these were implemented and designed like you suggested, there would be 5 upright ears. I just thought floppy ears or something similar would be a nice change. 

• Like 6

I like the idea of cold resistant ears, but...  I would rather they look like lynx ears, with tufts on the end, or arctic fox ears, short, upright, and packed with fur.

I feel obligated to point out that lop ears like the original suggestion are pretty much nonexistent except where humans have really warped domestic animals' genomes.

• Like 6

smaller, poofier ears would indeed make a lot of sense as cold resistant genes, since real animals which inhabit cold climates tend to have shorter ears and other extremities. also, although floppy ears do only appear IRL in domesticated animals, I do think that such a shape might help with providing cold resistance(like built in earmuffs!), and honestly wouldn't be all that unrealistic for a nicheling considering the existence of feathered wings and scorpion tails.

• Like 2

@Incyray I think that adding in flop ears would differ from adding in a scorpion tail since scorpion tails naturally evolved in the wild, while flop ears only exist as a result of artificial selection. Since niche evolves around natural selection, I don't think that adding flop ears in would make sense.

• Like 2

This would certainly be a very cute addition!
I agree that it should have less hearing than standard ears.
Maybe add a point to smelling?
I heard that dogs that are good at tracking (basset hounds, beagles, pointers, etc) all have floppy ears because it actually helps them smell.
Their ears kind of act like a fan. When it flops it blows more air towards the nose.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:08 PM, Mulan the Cat said:

Personally I think upright would make more sense all things considered. Here is my alterations on the stats:

+2 cold resistance

-1 heat resistance

+3 hearing

Upright ears are boring. I want some diversity which is why I suggested these ears.  We already have 4 upright ears... Plus, they're cute! Like a user whose name I can't spell said above, like built-in ear muffs.

floppy ears like your labrador mix @Skysplash8 wouldn't actually be that effective for cold resistance as they have a larger surface area than regular dog ears (which are similar to the regular ear type in game) and would actually contribute more to heat loss rather than conservation. most floppy ears are similar, and would be useless as an adaptation for cold resistance, eg. regular vs floppy eared domestic goats

Image result for goatImage result for goat floppy ears

imo the best ear type for cold resistance would have to be based off of an Arctic fox. they're ears are tiny to minimalize heat loss and they're also very fluffy which would also keep the fox warm

Related image

if the ears were to be floppy though, then they would have to be something like the ears of a Scottish fold cat. they have tiny, completely folded over ears which I'd imagine would make a pretty good adaptation for cold resistance. the only downside would be that the hearing ability would probably be reduced

Related image

• Like 3