Stray Fawn Community

Creature Creator/Breeder Mode

Pokestardragacraft

Alright, so I've seen some suggests asking for some type of creature creator/demo mode or whatever. I have been working on this for a while and I thought I'd make a new post since there's a lot more than just "A demo mode". This is gonna be mostly made up of pictures from what I call "Tutorial Mode" and I'll leave a link to a page with pictures without the text from tutorial mode.

So first you can access this mode from the home screen like so:

updatedhomescreenforbreedmode.thumb.png.51d02f92478243aaf84dd14c5780adcd.pngupdatedhomescreenforbreedmode1.thumb.png.80ccfcc7fac50cda18cde767105f8cfa.png

And then you would start at the creature creator (and to turn on tutorial mode you do this first (tutorial mode can be either be functional just with the yellow text or an example that goes away after you click)):

breedmodemenu3.thumb.png.2742dc051a5819a3cae1ad81695a73bc.pngbreedmodemenuopen3.thumb.png.f90229f17d265a72d4ff87724daea165.png

breedmodecreaturecreatortutorial1.thumb.png.a93099d2687a504879d17bfa259aed1f.png

Which can take you to either the creature list or the select mate screens which look like (also note that the scroll on the right on all screens is not accurate, and is just there to display its existence):breedarchivecreaturelisttutorial.thumb.png.87feb0a6b6bf3822eb0307a7c76de4c5.pngbreedarchiveselectmatetutorial.thumb.png.fb0db83853e5aad23231cb992c6c7d97.png

(Where you can import creatures from save files like this:

updatedfamilytree.thumb.png.504fb206c1a1500a6ca07055df69c41c.png)

And confirming a breed brings you to the offspring list which is:

breedarchiveoffspringlisttutorial1.thumb.png.0080b6bc7316b53f33e51064efb69260.png

Where there are trait statistics and custom filters (list of traits made by @Aysling here: https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/626-nicheling-sort-filter-and-select/&page=0#comment-2030) :

breedarchivetraitstatisticstutorial.thumb.png.4239f2f4eea83d1b2a025adc3b82d00c.pngbreedarchivecustomfiltertutorial1.thumb.png.0bcc27282168444143ef0ba5dcd71d26.png

Or you can go to the punnett square:

breedmodetutorialmode.thumb.png.952419f8e90c7bd1308091100a9ad745.png

And from anything outside of the creature lists, you can go to the gem colors (which you can find individually here: https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/646-customizable-and-programmable-gem-colors/)breedmodegemcolorselecttutorial1.thumb.png.72510d8d6e628c7eb0cd69b6f7105052.png

And the color cycle looks like this:

breedmodegemcolorcycletutorial.thumb.png.5a2006e88c36c0eaf7a3c5ce68732417.png

And after all of that, you could use the creatures you used to start in sandbox mode like this:

(Picture in production)

So yea, that's all of it. Please let me know of any mistakes I might have made since this was a lot or of any logical inconsistencies. If you want to see the pictures without the text from tutorial mode, you can go to this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16dVKParfTHqHpSsuPD_UA_6cozEJ94_4Wtxpff6lIsE/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

@Pokestardragacraft I suppose that would be something interesting to think about. Disabling them completely may be something, but then what if you actually get it later in the game without the help of this idea? I was just thinking like maybe within a certain number of generations or days, the ability to unlock these achievements could be allowed (or a better word, unlocked) again. Things like creatures with 5+ heat or cold resistance as an achievement problem maybe could be allowed to be created, however, those ones created in the editor wouldn't count (and again the allowance to get achievements based on characters could be enabled later in gameplay). 

An idea following on that would be that you could select these genetics (perhaps heat body and medium tail or other heat resistant items) and when you do, a warning would pop-up, saying something like: "This creatures in-game descendants won't have the ability for X amount of generations/days to unlock genetic achievements."

One final idea, nearly the opposite of the last, would be greying out genetic items that would complete an achievement. An example of this, being for 5+ heat resistance (King of the Mountains), would be you select heat body and the editor would then grey out the other items that maybe finish the achievement (again, medium tail, Mammut foot, and other later implemented items). When you then put your mouse over these items a little line of text would appear saying something along the lines of: "This genetic item cannot be used because it would complete the ____ (in our case example, 'King of the Mountains') achievement."

Just a few ideas, I'm sure there are plenty more ways this can be worked around.

• Like 3

@Skysplash8 Hey, sorry it took me a while to get back to you but I can see where your coming from. Maybe you could use this mode as a new game mode and how I proposed it because I also think there’s something else to having it separate as well. (i.e. the creature lists and the Punnett square)

• Like 1

Personally, I would make it a different kind of gamemode (like story mode or sandbox). You start off normally, but you can easily customize your Nichelings. This would also give easy success to commands (old and new), like Give Food, Give/Take Age, etc. Maybe even one wheree you can choose a different island to go too, then select some of your creatures (probably with a limit like 15 or something). 

• Like 3

Also looking back on this, I do realize I missed of things like a gem color button on the creature creator, being able to save Nichelings from games to add to creature lists, and being able to use these creatures as starting creatures for sandbox mode.

• Like 3

This is such a great idea! I have been wanting to make a birds of paradise challenge but it takes ages to breed the perfect pair to start it off- this could be useful, for instance, if you wanted to start in a difficult climate but still survive. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I love this and it would be a really neat addition to the game with a little clean up on the original idea. I've actually wanted this before but I haven't put it into words because (ehh) I can't 😅 . If this is added to the game it would be a really important factor to challenges. However, a few things in achievements would be needed to be changed, such as the ones where you have to create a certain creature, so it only applies if you get the creature in the base game (Sandbox or Story Modes).

Other than that I'm excited to see this implemented if it gets chosen. 

2 hours ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

@FinallyFalling, I’m well aware of the issues with achievements, but I don’t know how much should disable them. The easy answer is to always disable them if you make your own starter creatures. The issue I have with this is that you can get lucky with having starting creatures that make the getting the achievement easier. So how close can you get to the achievement without it disabling achievements?

i think those achievements should be disabled all together. while you can get lucky with your starter pair it is all randomness. but with creature creator it wouldn't be random at all. although maybe if you didn't have any of the genes needed for that achievement you could still get it.

• Like 1

This looks so carefully thought out and planned. A suggestion if possible, if you are able to play with these niches which you say you are.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:21 PM, Pokestardragacraft said:

And after all of that, you could use the creatures you used to start in sandbox mode like this:

Then for more of a challenge you might be able to make rouge males that you would place but not necessarily play, damage the health of some, make some that might be sick, and so forth.

@FinallyFalling, I’m well aware of the issues with achievements, but I don’t know how much should disable them. The easy answer is to always disable them if you make your own starter creatures. The issue I have with this is that you can get lucky with having starting creatures that make the getting the achievement easier. So how close can you get to the achievement without it disabling achievements?

I had another idea in regards to breeding in the "Creature Creator" because I didn't cover it the last time I commented :P This is another idea that links into the idea of "You can't select this creature for [insert achievement/reason here]." (As exampled in my previous spiel: "nearly the opposite of the last, would be greying out genetic items that would complete an achievement. An example of this, being for 5+ heat resistance (Ruler of the Mountains), would be you select heat body and the editor would then grey out the other items that maybe finish the achievement (again, medium tail, Mammut foot, and other later implemented items). When you then put your mouse over these items a little line of text would appear saying something along the lines of: 'This genetic item cannot be used because it would complete the ____ (in our case example, 'Ruler of the Mountains') achievement.'")

Another likeliness of the last post would be just locking the achievements for a time as previously stated as:  "a warning would pop-up, saying something like: 'This creatures' in-game descendants won't have the ability for X amount of generations/days to unlock genetic achievements.'"

That's all (for now 😉