Stray Fawn Community

Scaly Body

wolfhowlmay

A body covered in scales that is unlocked in the mutation menu once you reach the swamp island, same as poison fangs, except instead of giving poison they cause an inability to be knocked out by the bugs since they wouldn't be able to bite through it's scales and add an extra +1 defense because again, scales, (though they wouldn't be as strong as the armored body so only 1 defense) and with the speed of medium body. this would be useful in the swamp area since its so overcrowded with bugs and stinky tale is unlocked in an entirely separate location, making it very hard to keep your nichelings from getting attacked by the bugs. Since it is a swamp and the poison fangs look so snake-like this feature would work really well there, I think this body type would have the colors of the poison body since it's not fur, it's scales. 

I used a screenshot of a nicheling as a model to kinda show what I mean: 

Scale body green.jpg

• Like 9
  • Paw up 1

8 replies to this post

Cool suggestion!
The problem I see with this (which is a problem we have in general), is that the body also changes other body parts, such as the legs.
Maybe the best solution here would be to add "Skin/Hair Types". So "Scales" would then the a type of skin.
Other types could be long fur, no hair etc.

• Like 8

@Philo Skins would make a lot more sense than to change a body type for a texture, a question I have for that though is would armored body change to a skin type or remain a body type? Also should I edit this post to say skin types- scaly skin or make a new post?

Edited by wolfhowlmay
  • Like 2

Both works :)
Whatever makes more sense to you.
I think it would make sense that Armored Body becomes Armored Skin in this scenario.
I'm super unsure how we could actually implement this though xD

• Like 2

@Philo understandable, as someone who has no idea how to develop games I'm sure there are some ideas that are cool in concept but very difficult in practice, but maybe someday. 

Again I have no idea what I'm talking about but to make these 'skin' textures wouldn't they be layered over the base of the body types/face types. which truly sounds like a whole lot of work I have no idea how many artists you guys have but I feel like a whole skin range would take a large team. But by taking the base models of lets say big body and adding going through creating the skin types over it, like scales/no fur/long fur, then going through each body type, leg type, and face type. Writing all this out I feel bad for suggesting now because WOW that sounds like an intense amount of work. Let me know if this makes no sense and this isn't how it works at all but that's just how I've always imagined the fur patterns were implemented. 

• Like 3

On 4/25/2018 at 7:13 AM, Birthday Fawn (Philo) said:

Cool suggestion!
The problem I see with this (which is a problem we have in general), is that the body also changes other body parts, such as the legs.
Maybe the best solution here would be to add "Skin/Hair Types". So "Scales" would then the a type of skin.

I agree. Maybe to speed up the process you could just make skin/hair types a texture instead of giving them a model?

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 7:13 AM, Birthday Fawn (Philo) said:

Cool suggestion!

THIS. IS. NEEDED! This might finally add the feathers i always wanted! Maybe it would also affect manes, though?