Stray Fawn Community

Way of Birth genes

Sky

please suggest better names for these, I wanted to call Live Birther 'Mamillian' but pretty much every other species lays eggs so there wouldn't be a good matching name for Egg Layer :(

These genes would need an additional slot just for them.Live Birther is more common than Egg Layer. Neither gene appears in the mutation menu.

Live Birther: The Nicheling gives birth the same way it does now. Dominant to Egg Layer.

Egg Layer: When a female is mated with, she will be 'pregnant'. The female, regardless of pregnancy duration (more about that later) can go to a nest and lay her eggs at any time, including the day she is impregnated. When the pregnant-with-eggs female stays on a nest overnight, she will lay an egg (or two, if it's twins). The egg will hatch the next day in Story mode, and equal to the Pregnancy Duration in Sandbox mode (ex. Pregnancy Duration is 3 days, egg hatches after 3 days). The egg will stay in the nest until it hatches overnight, making the noise of a baby when they are normally born, and will appear as though they were live birthed; for special effects, you could do a hatching noise then the baby cry, along with some egg shells strewn about in the nest that disappear after a day. After hatching, the baby will act exactly like a live-birthed baby would. This gene is recessive to Live Birther.

Ideas for what the egg could look like:

-just white

-randomly white or brown

-baby's horn color

-similar to baby's fur and pattern (and colors)

this suggestion is like an alternate version of this suggestion, so please vote for it if you'd rather it be a Sandbox setting than a gene:

• Like 4
  • Eek! 1
  • Paw up 1
  • Love 3

16 replies to this post

Could the eggs be "hatched" by a nicheling other than the mom? Like, the mom would lay the eggs on a nest, and then go off elsewhere, and another tribe mate would keep the eggs warm for her.

What would happen if the eggs were laid but no one would look after them/keep them warm overnight? Would they die?

Also, if they were left unprotected (no adult or teen on or beside the nest), I can imagine them being snatched away by bluebirds or perhaps some new fancy predator.^^

• Like 2

Maybe it could be (at least partially) tied to body type? Like how some bodies cancel things out, any reptilian or bird-like bodies that make it into the game could lay eggs by default. Also, would temperature affect the viability of the eggs?

• Like 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling
15 minutes ago, Skysplash8 said:

please suggest better names for these, I wanted to call Live Birther 'Mamillian' but pretty much every other species lays eggs so there wouldn't be a good matching name for Egg Layer :(

Live Birther: The Nicheling gives birth the same way it does now. Dominant to Egg Layer.

Egg Layer: When a female is mated with, she will be 'pregnant'. The female, regardless of pregnancy duration (more about that later) can go to a nest and lay her eggs at any time, including the day she is impregnated. When the pregnant-with-eggs female stays on a nest overnight, she will lay an egg (or two, if it's twins). The egg will hatch the next day in Story mode, and equal to the Pregnancy Duration in Sandbox mode. The egg will stay in the nest until it hatches overnight, making the noise of a baby when they are normally born, and will appear as though they were live birthed; for special effects, you could do a hatching noise then the baby cry, along with some egg shells strewn about in the nest that disappear after a day. The egg could be white, or for more variety, could be either egg or white (the color would be random). Or, even cooler, the egg could be the horn color of the baby. After hatching, the baby will act exactly like a live-birthed baby would. This gene is recessive to Live Birther.

this suggestion is like an alternate version of this suggestion:

This would be great for a platypus Nicheling, since they’re actually mammalian but still lay eggs at the same time.

On 8/23/2019 at 5:53 AM, magpie said:

Could the eggs be "hatched" by a nicheling other than the mom? Like, the mom would lay the eggs on a nest, and then go off elsewhere, and another tribe mate would keep the eggs warm for her.

What would happen if the eggs were laid but no one would look after them/keep them warm overnight? Would they die?

Also, if they were left unprotected (no adult or teen on or beside the nest), I can imagine them being snatched away by bluebirds or perhaps some new fancy predator.^^

have you noticed this? you can edit because there will never be anything to stop you!

Considering the fact that nichelings are all the same species, i think it would be quite odd for some of the female nichelings to undergo a completely different process. I think the best way to classify nichelings would be as mammals, (as if you used all of the 'normal' traits on a nicheling they'd be very mammal-like) but of course there are marsupials who do lay eggs, but i feel it would be unnecessary for nichelings. I think the whole feature is kind of needlessly complicated, as having a child is already a bit difficult, if you're in the wrong circumstances, (say there's a predator nearby and your female accidentally steps into a nest and you don't realise it) and i think it would make something that doesn't need to be complicated, complicated. It sounds like a cool idea, but i'm not so sure it would make sense, as it doesn't sound like it would benefit the nichelings any way. I know that genes like no paw are there, but they're called deformed/crippled paws for a reason. They're a bad gene that got in and deformed the child. (I hate to say that, sorry!) Most of the other genes are there to help the animal, whereas i feel that this gene wouldn't, considering that it would not really help survival, as there are all these different factors you would have to deal with. (say temperature, and incubation) Also, I feel that it would become an unwanted gene considering how difficult it would be to just hatch a child. (Eggs would still be open to predators, as there would be no reason a predator couldn't break the egg and kill the developing baby inside.) I feel that this is an interesting idea, but it would be needlessly complicated and difficult to do. (also, I think the animals nichelings look mostly like are cats, dogs and chimps, and i'm not sure i would want to see any of those animals come out of an egg. I know that they can get genes that make them fish-like or bird-like but i've always seen it as a dog who learnt how to breathe underwater, or a dog who learned how to fly.)

hopefully I didn't sound too passive-aggressive throughout all of that :)

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 8:12 PM, berri said:

Considering the fact that nichelings are all the same species, i think it would be quite odd for some of the female nichelings to undergo a completely different process. I think the best way to classify nichelings would be as mammals, (as if you used all of the 'normal' traits on a nicheling they'd be very mammal-like) but of course there are marsupials who do lay eggs, but i feel it would be unnecessary for nichelings. I think the whole feature is kind of needlessly complicated, as having a child is already a bit difficult, if you're in the wrong circumstances, (say there's a predator nearby and your female accidentally steps into a nest and you don't realise it) and i think it would make something that doesn't need to be complicated, complicated. It sounds like a cool idea, but i'm not so sure it would make sense, as it doesn't sound like it would benefit the nichelings any way. I know that genes like no paw are there, but they're called deformed/crippled paws for a reason. They're a bad gene that got in and deformed the child. (I hate to say that, sorry!) Most of the other genes are there to help the animal, whereas i feel that this gene wouldn't, considering that it would not really help survival, as there are all these different factors you would have to deal with. (say temperature, and incubation) Also, I feel that it would become an unwanted gene considering how difficult it would be to just hatch a child. (Eggs would still be open to predators, as there would be no reason a predator couldn't break the egg and kill the developing baby inside.) I feel that this is an interesting idea, but it would be needlessly complicated and difficult to do. (also, I think the animals nichelings look mostly like are cats, dogs and chimps, and i'm not sure i would want to see any of those animals come out of an egg. I know that they can get genes that make them fish-like or bird-like but i've always seen it as a dog who learnt how to breathe underwater, or a dog who learned how to fly.)

On 7/1/2020 at 6:41 PM, Sky said:

bump

Very great responce, sky

On 4/13/2020 at 6:12 PM, berri said:

Considering the fact that nichelings are all the same species, i think it would be quite odd for some of the female nichelings to undergo a completely different process. I think the best way to classify nichelings would be as mammals, (as if you used all of the 'normal' traits on a nicheling they'd be very mammal-like) but of course there are marsupials who do lay eggs,

but i feel it would be unnecessary for nichelings. I think the whole feature is kind of needlessly complicated, as having a child is already a bit difficult, if you're in the wrong circumstances, (say there's a predator nearby and your female accidentally steps into a nest and you don't realise it) and i think it would make something that doesn't need to be complicated, complicated. It sounds like a cool idea, but i'm not so sure it would make sense, as it doesn't sound like it would benefit the nichelings any way. I know that genes like no paw are there, but they're called deformed/crippled paws for a reason. They're a bad gene that got in and deformed the child. (I hate to say that, sorry!) Most of the other genes are there to help the animal, whereas i feel that this gene wouldn't, considering that it would not really help survival, as there are all these different factors you would have to deal with. (say temperature, and incubation) Also, I feel that it would become an unwanted gene considering how difficult it would be to just hatch a child. (Eggs would still be open to predators, as there would be no reason a predator couldn't break the egg and kill the developing baby inside.) I feel that this is an interesting idea, but it would be needlessly complicated and difficult to do. (also, I think the animals nichelings look mostly like are cats, dogs and chimps, and i'm not sure i would want to see any of those animals come out of an egg. I know that they can get genes that make them fish-like or bird-like but i've always seen it as a dog who learnt how to breathe underwater, or a dog who learned how to fly.)

I really like your whole post, it's well thought out. I wish people didn't have to feel afraid of making thought out posts anymore.I think that when we consider the huge diversity of skulls, limbs, and everything else that nichelings have, we can also allow viviparity and oviparity. As a matter of fact, snakes and sharks lay eggs inside their body and when they hatch, they give birth. This would allow the difference between the two in nichelings. If we say that nichelings who give birth just form eggs in their bodies anyways, then that gives them the ability to have both. As far as playpus and echidna go, they are ancient forms of mammals back when proto-mammals laid eggs. What makes a mammal a mammal is fur, regulating one's own internal body temperature, and the ability to nurse, which nichelings don't actually do (since a mother can die after giving birth and the baby survives).

I agree that being oviparous doesn't make sense without the ability to move around. This is easily solved by making the nest into a mound. Basically, a buried nest. But people seem to have an almost instinctual thirst for looking at bird's eggs, which would defeat the point of getting to look at an egg, which is what these people really want. I also think that having to brood upon them also defeats the point of looking at an egg. We could make her oviparous and move her off of the eggs until overnight; which would feed that thirst and gives her a chance to do something quick, like berry collecting from a nearby tree. But in the end it boils down to being able to see the eggs and being able to leave those eggs. Otherwise, what's the point?

• Like 1