Stray Fawn Community

Has anyone ever found a use for bio weapons

Interesting suggestions. So you want the weapon more to be used for certain missions. That means the weapon is still not very useful in normal combat? Would that be enough for you? I'm wondering if we can improve the general usefulness of that ammunition type.

So far Kinetic ammunition deals "normal" damage, and all the elemental ammunition deal a x-factor of that, x being smaller than 1 (because they have other advantages than just dealing damage).

So I would like to make the bio ammunition more useful with abilities instead of damage :) I was thinking of maybe doing damage over time for organic enemies, but maybe no damage dealing towards mechanical enemies?

No plans yet, just posting ideas :) 

• 5 months later...

Bio weapons could deal extra damage to non-biological enemies, for example it wouldn't harm or deal little harm to bugs and hammerheads but could deal extra damage to mechanical (corp turrets and drones) enemies

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It would be quite exciting if bio weapons built terrain wherever the particle died (or where the laser ends), rather than just when it makes contact with existing terrain.

You could then use the various weapons to create walls and such and the rendered wall would be somewhat different for each weapon type. The flamethrower weapon would likely result in a thick but very pocketed wall while a laser would result in a thin and precise wall at its tip, grenade launchers and rocket launchers would probably result in a mass similar to how those purple fungi do when destroyed and the blast radius (and potentially damage) would change how dense and large the resultant mass is. the guns would make little spots of the weakest terrain, which could hinder enemies coming at you and slow opposing drones (if a controlled co-op with friends mode ever gets made). This would also encourage the creation of enemies that can burrow through terrain to attack you, which could be a cool ambush and chase mechanic.

Thanks,

Sachi

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OverlordSachi said:

It would be quite exciting if bio weapons built terrain wherever the particle died (or where the laser ends), rather than just when it makes contact with existing terrain.

That would open up some new possibilities.

But I'm still not convinced to shield against enemies with terrain is worth it.

The weapons needed to create a wall could be weapons killing the enemy faster.

• Like 1

Very good discussion and idea. I'm can't say how fun it will be, but somehow I would love to try it. I can imagine giving it a new layer of possibilities. But maybe it's just plainly annoying because it might spawn seemingly random terrain in the air if you don't know what you're doing (beginner players). Maybe a opt-in would work (a toggle like fixed rotation/follow cursor).

We're currently very busy in finishing all kind of things (and adding / testing new content) for the next update, so I'm not sure when and if we're getting around toying with that idea. fingers crossed :) 

Yeah, would probably be annoying to use regularly like any other weapon, in combat it could basically only be used as a retreating weapon to cut off enemies you can't outrun, but that is still probably better than its current use of lifting terrain and being a lower damage weapon (which it could still do if the particle dies against existing terrain). I think the main value would be in cool art and possible neat physics tricks if liquids and such ever get added into the game (besides the expanding magma core) If the engine can handle water physics. Also if ever implemented, I would assume it would be best if the terrain created had a minimum possible size, so that your drone doesn't get caught on invisible specks. Could also be cool if Nimbatus ever gets a local controlled multiplayer.

Thanks,

Sachi

• Like 1

As a small note: Bio weapons deal the same amount of damage since quite a few updates. There was a time when it was weaker, but we scrapped that because it was pretty useless that way :) 

Also: We worked around the small invisible specks problem. I'm looking forward to let you all test it :) 

• Love 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, Markus said:

Interesting suggestions. So you want the weapon more to be used for certain missions. That means the weapon is still not very useful in normal combat? Would that be enough for you? I'm wondering if we can improve the general usefulness of that ammunition type.

So maybe Bio is a gloop that starts growing roots through the structure of the objective - so putting tension on the joints until they smash, rather than just direct hits.  Bearing in mind the different types of projectile / beam,  it could be synergistic - so it's really a bit different from the other weapons.. Eg, you need to use a projectile for seeding, but beams for growing....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...