Stray Fawn Community

How does one find their style?

takoyamaaaS

Guest SilverTheNicheling
Just now, Random.Org Cat said:

Also why my title as (I'M STUPID) is because I had gotten mixed up with Silver and Skysplash ;w;

Its okay man, just drop that part now since its okay.

1 minute ago, Random.Org Cat said:

Also why my title as (I'M STUPID) is because I had gotten mixed up with Silver and Skysplash ;w;

Well you’re lucky. I kept getting mixed up with FlowerMask, so I was confused why I couldn’t edit/delete some of her posts... xD

• Haha 1
  • Eek! 2

I’m in no way an expert on this sort of thing, but here’s some things that might help. They’re not my own original ideas. I got them from some YouTubers that I watch :) 

Find styles that you yourself like, and determine what you like and don’t like about them. Play around with different styles, and see what you think of them. If you like them, great! If not, well, you’re one step closer to finding something that you do like. Also, imitation can help. Trying to copy the styles of others can help you find your own.

• Like 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, Quarkycat said:

I’m in no way an expert on this sort of thing, but here’s some things that might help. They’re not my own original ideas. I got them from some YouTubers that I watch :) 

Find styles that you yourself like, and determine what you like and don’t like about them. Play around with different styles, and see what you think of them. If you like them, great! If not, well, you’re one step closer to finding something that you do like. Also, imitation can help. Trying to copy the styles of others can help you find your own.

THIS! YES! EXACTLY RIGHT!

(got a little overexcited there.. but this what I used to do when I was younger!! :D)

you try that whole "practice and do what feels right, taking inspiration from other artists" thing, until you give up and copy sleepykinq's style because damn it looks so good

Oh wait thats just me. 

• Haha 1

From what I've heard just a lot of practice and experimentation. Also, taking inspiration from styles you like helps a lot. Though a strong foundation (so knowng realistic anatomy and stuff) is always useful to make experimentation and cartoony and stuff easier :D

Guest SilverTheNicheling
2 minutes ago, Jojo said:

From what I've heard just a lot of practice and experimentation. Also, taking inspiration from styles you like helps a lot. Though a strong foundation (so knowng realistic anatomy and stuff) is always useful to make experimentation and cartoony and stuff easier :D

Experimentation doesn’t hurt! You know you’ll find your art style eventually.. like me! :) 

Also.. heyyy Jojo! How’s our other mod doin today?

Just now, SilverTheNicheling said:

Experimentation doesn’t hurt! You know you’ll find your art style eventually.. like me! :) 

Also.. heyyy Jojo! How’s our other mod doin today?

Doing fine. Having holdiay now so I can finally relax. Also The lan cable finally arrived so I am up and running again (though not quite sure for how long as we are going on vacation on sunday but I'll make a seperate post about that). Thanks for asking. How are you doing?

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, Jojo said:

Doing fine. Having holdiay now so I can finally relax. Also The lan cable finally arrived so I am up and running again (though not quite sure for how long as we are going on vacation on sunday but I'll make a seperate post about that). Thanks for asking. How are you doing?

Morning’s good, didn’t get to sleep until 2 AM, and I woke up at clearly 7 AM which just goes to show how desperate my body is to getting ready for school this fall! xD

On the other hand.. my internet died, and I’m trying to eat food to take my pills, it’ll help my mental heath better, been feeling a little bit grumpy..

Just now, SilverTheNicheling said:

Morning’s good, didn’t get to sleep until 2 AM, and I woke up at clearly 7 AM which just goes to show how desperate my body is to getting ready for school this fall! xD

On the other hand.. my internet died, and I’m trying to eat food to take my pills, it’ll help my mental heath better, been feeling a little bit grumpy..

Well I hope your mood improves and that your internet is resurrect :D

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, Jojo said:

Well I hope your mood improves and that your internet is resurrect :D

I guess my mood is already improving and my internet rises again, mainly why I’m here on the forums in the first place lol

1 hour ago, Jojo said:

all the mods except me and also the devs just kinda dropped off the face of the earth, thank goodness you're alive I thought the bearyenas got you

anyways, I'm watching a show with a character named Josefina but everyone calls her Jo and her boyfriend calls her Jojo and yeah thought of you

well technically he isn't her boyfriend anymore because well they got engaged but then she and the other main characters accidentally got time traveled (wasn't their fault) to the 1940's and when they got back they'd changed too much and one of the things that was different was that my favorite two characters, Jo and Zane, never dated but thank goodness Jo's trying to get Zane to snap out of it and stop being an absolute idiot

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Skysalsa8 said:

all the mods except me and also the devs just kinda dropped off the face of the earth, thank goodness you're alive I thought the bearyenas got you

anyways, I'm watching a show with a character named Josefina but everyone calls her Jo and her boyfriend calls her Jojo and yeah thought of you

well technically he isn't her boyfriend anymore because well they got engaged but then she and the other main characters accidentally got time traveled (wasn't their fault) to the 1940's and when they got back they'd changed too much and one of the things that was different was that my favorite two characters, Jo and Zane, never dated but thank goodness Jo's trying to get Zane to snap out of it and stop being an absolute idiot

Cute that you would think of me ❤️  Yeah I didn't plan on dropping of, but as I said internet troubles.

• Like 1

I experimented a lot. I studied other artists I enjoy. I drew a lot, taking inspiration from my favorite artists, and my style came naturally. As I got older and better at drawing, my style changed over time to better reflect my personality and goals, in a way.

Also, you can have multiple styles. For example, your realistic and cartoon designs are different from everyone else’s. You can choose to draw how you like!

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 5:29 PM, totally melon yogurt cat said:

I’ve tried realistic, which was a disaster, cartoony, which was slightly better, adpnd a mix of the two, which was horrible.

(Realistocj)

31DB3379-4E7A-44D8-9334-FC76455BA5E7.thumb.jpeg.250606d65558c54405797900457a3f75.jpeg

(Cartoony)

8D2A69EF-2E17-4657-8614-64374B705F64.thumb.png.72bc5f39a873e8b702aebc44da146827.png

(Semi cartoon you)

A146D224-25CA-457B-A761-825322E98026.thumb.jpeg.0825bab72d7a6324a194cc1d613f853f.jpeg

I have a more cartoony style (bc realism is hard man..) but I just practiced a ton and am at where I is now, and no I’m not good.. but I’m not horrible.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/18/2019 at 6:04 PM, Sky said:

I'm not sure if this is bad or not, but... I learned how to draw by looking at someone else's art, then trying to copy it. I sorta just mashed pieces together, so it's be like A's ears, B's eyes, C's head, etc, but I also put my own twist on it, like now the eyes are just kinda plain but I like them because I didn't copy them from someone else.

Once upon a time, my cats were like these:

image.png.296ff5ef73a50886bd1e71a4e645d0d2.png

(I remember being so proud of that xD)

And now I can draw them like this!:

image.thumb.png.caa27689db5f42e7a9255ed41416aa27.png

(I'ms till proud of that!)

Just keep on drawing. You'll slowly improve--Like, I've improved from last month, it's weird. So... yeah

this is old but there's still a lot of similarities between then and now. I've noticed that in the last couple years I've stopped progressing so much -- I'm still improving, but it isn't changing rapidly like it used to. I suppose I've finally found my style :)

• Eek! 1