Stray Fawn Community

Long hindlegs

Fishyfishyfishy500

Of all the things on this diverse on this amazing forum, I am surprised that this has not been suggested even once, I am talking about Long hind legs. 

Many mammals and birds have long limbs(in mine, they are as tall than a big bodied nicheling) to allow them to see over tall grass, wade in deep water and many other purposes such as kicking prey in the case of the secretary bird. In the case of these nichelings I propose both, this limb will have these stats:

+2 speed

+1 swimming

-2 cold resistance

-1 digging

+ tall

unlock conditions: Walk 50 tiles in shallow water and collect 20 times from a small tree(mangrove or acacia only)

What does tall do? I will tell you, being tall enables you to walk deeper into water without having to swim,  basically letting you wade into it and not drown, and remove the irritation of rivers and lakes of having to swim across. This can be used to gather algae from rivers and shallow waters as well as collecting fish, worms and clams from the sea and lakes. 

It also lets you gather nuts and snails from mangrove trees and acacia trees while still on the ground, giving you alternatives for gathering them other than wings

it doesn't end there, as it gives you +1 sight as it gives you an elevated spot to look out from, but not as much as a stump

But with the upsides come downsides, first, it doesn't provide much swimming making it a poor choice for aquatic nichelings and for deeper waters, but advantageous for terrestrial and amphibious nichelings that only need to occasionally move into water, as well as fliers, giving them extra sight to fly much more freely.

Being tall also removes the hiding buff from adult nichelings and partially removes it from teens(+1 only)

It also makes you digging lowered, because digging and burrowing animals need to use their hindlegs as a brace so that they can effectively dig, and long unretractable hind legs inhibit that(unless you're a frog/toad and use your hind legs to dig or a rabbit that has limited leg movement)

and finally it gives -2 to your cold resistance because they increase surface area and speed up heat loss

So that's it for that suggestion, thank you for reading this, and this was also brought to my mind from the shoebill post

Inspiration:

Maned wolf, a secondary inspiration

419098214_Manedwolfy.jpg.8956cd75746c1ef0e8c596d8eb5f167a.jpg

Painted stork showing off its long legs, and is the primary inspiration for this suggestion

338529495_Paintedstorkwithleegggsss.thumb.jpg.8d266513ccc761af5f94fc645b57fee1.jpg

• Like 1

9 replies to this post

4 hours ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

this circumvents that issue by letting you walk in waters that can be stood in, but I see an aquatic creature having a tall legged baby, it's rather disappointing for me actually, because it needs some downside, however you probably should be punished for having a tall-legged baby in deep water

SLARM and Silver are both correct, all hindlegs need +1 Speed and 1 Swimming, so that all nichelings can at least move one tile on land and in water.

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

1 hour ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

-1 swimming

I don't think this is needed, as it already doesn't add any, so it already has a debuff. If a baby is born underwater, it wouldn't be able to move.

• Paw up 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling
4 minutes ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

I see, ok, thank you

Please add the +1 swimming, all legs have this for a reason :)

4 minutes ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

Please add the +1 swimming, all legs have this for a reason :)

this circumvents that issue by letting you walk in waters that can be stood in, but I see an aquatic creature having a tall legged baby, it's rather disappointing for me actually, because it needs some downside, however you probably should be punished for having a tall-legged baby in deep water

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

this circumvents that issue by letting you walk in waters that can be stood in, but I see an aquatic creature having a tall legged baby, it's rather disappointing for me actually, because it needs some downside

I wouldn’t really know what else to tell you.. then again it is just an idea so I’m not forcing you to add it, it’s just been told to me by a wise o’l mod several times...

Well I just made it subtract from digging, cold resistance and camoflauge

it subtracts from camo because your creature is tall and extends over the grass, cold resistance because the legs would lose heat easily and digging because burrowing and digging animals usually have short legs to dig more efficiently

Guest SilverTheNicheling
2 hours ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

Well I just made it subtract from digging, cold resistance and camoflauge

it subtracts from camo because your creature is tall and extends over the grass, cold resistance because the legs would lose heat easily and digging because burrowing and digging animals usually have short legs to dig more efficiently

That is much better and totally accurate! :) well done!