Stray Fawn Community

Allow selecting multiple of the same part type

TaikoDragon

I have found it frustrating when building a drone that I cannot either select multiple parts at once or a way to copy/paste the settings from one part to another. I realize both these scenario probably work best when the part type is homogeneous. If this was implemented it would make updating the configuration of a set of parts much easier.

• Like 5

6 replies to this post

Maybe this could use another topic, but maybe this helps pushing the other idea 😋

An option to replace an item would help if one would like to exchange a part where others parts are mounted on.

Edit: I merged my thread with this one. 

I definitely upvote this, because I also think it's a hassle to e.g. assign the same tags to several parts, or even settings like distance of several distance sensors.

It should be similar to the Unity Engine interface. If you select several different parts, all same properties get displayed, e.g. Tags, Distances, Maybe Time-Delays etc. and if you change the setting, all other parts apply them as well. Maybe it gets tricky with things like rotation, so maybe this has to be locked - or you are self-responsible for the mess which might happen (imagine hundreds of parts rotating and then overlapping each other ^^').

1 hour ago, Markus said:

(imagine hundreds of parts rotating and then overlapping each other

This would brings me to the 'discard all changes and exit'-button the editor should have.

• Like 1

What if all the parts were listed in a directory-tree-style menu to the left (in order of the number of connections from the core) and each part, in a submenu that you could expand or collapse, had properties you could copy and paste?  You could mouse-over each part to highlight it, then click on certain property of a part to select it.  In this menu, traditional windows file manager management could work. 

As an example, you could expand a detector's properties, select its range and CTRL-C to copy it, then CTRL-select every detector, and CTRL-V to 'paste' that property to them.

• Like 1