Stray Fawn Community

So, I did an animation thing

CABINET

I have basically no experience with animation aside from this one animation of a bouncing ball I did as a practice, and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing xD. Here it is (it's still a sketch, if that wasn't obvious). It's supposed to be a running cat. Oh, and by the way, those random colourful dots flying around in front of the sketch are just some points for colourpicking.

1542084558_RunningCat.gif.8a7c9395a642855df4f7134504baf595.gif

I could point out lots of things wrong with it, but I don't feel like doing that. Anyways, I need advice, badly. Could someone who has some experience in animation give me a tiny push in the right direction? Please? Thanks!

Maybe a running cat wasn't a good idea for an inexperienced "animator" to do... xD.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Guest SilverTheNicheling
11 minutes ago, NumberCatPupSimGenerator said:

I haven't done animation(Only PMVs)

But since you doing a running cat, I would suggest looking at cats running to get a good idea of what to do if you aren't

Yes! I agree! *purrs*

Guest SilverTheNicheling

The animation is not bad for a beginner by the way! You’ll improve from that somehow, I know you will! :)

I was making the mistake of only using a picture of some cat drawings for reference, and only sometimes xD

I REALLY don't know what I'm doing.

But now I'm using a video of a real cat for reference, and I feel like it's helping a bit...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I know it's been a while since I first posted this; I kinda lost some motivation and stopped for a while. But here's some progress! (Watching animation memes is really motivating, isn't it?) I've actually had it for a while and just never got around to making the gif...

1133238861_RunningCat2.gif.1659d4358ae147da6fd40be0ed2771b4.gif

The front leg is bothering me, but I feel like it's a bit better. (Is it too fast? I miiiiiiiiight have increased the fps a bit)

• Love 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling
2 minutes ago, TundraKitsune said:

Hey! I know it's been a while since I first posted this; I kinda lost some motivation and stopped for a while. But here's some progress! (Watching animation memes is really motivating, isn't it?) I've actually had it for a while and just never got around to making the gif...

1133238861_RunningCat2.gif.1659d4358ae147da6fd40be0ed2771b4.gif

The front leg is bothering me, but I feel like it's a bit better. (Is it too fast? I miiiiiiiiight have increased the fps a bit)

It’s looking much better than before! ❤️ keep it up!

!! I figured out a way to make the front leg look less weird! I think.

2129902781_RunningCat3.gif.9615f029f31c8a01492b00607bf1f8b8.gif

Now I should probably work on that back. Cats' backs don't stay in that weird angled down position while running.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• CABINET changed the title to So, I'm TRYING to do an animation thing...

I did a thing! It actually makes sense! YAY! I can do animation sort of! I'm sure there's a million things I could do to improve it, but I'm really happy with how it came out! :D

598310747_RunningCatTake24.gif.208248bcc72ba8e3cb50b526fc950b56.gif

• Paw up 1
  • Love 6

Guest SilverTheNicheling
30 minutes ago, TundraKitsune said:

I did a thing! It actually makes sense! YAY! I can do animation sort of! I'm sure there's a million things I could do to improve it, but I'm really happy with how it came out! :D

598310747_RunningCatTake24.gif.208248bcc72ba8e3cb50b526fc950b56.gif

One thing I might be nitpicking at is the right(left? Err) leg being a little stiff... but everything else is so good that I need to give you props for it! Some day you could take requests to animate for people! :D

I wish I was that good at animating...

I used to animate a lot on a website that has sadly been removed. Most of the stuff there was horrible, but it was still a big part of my learning experience...

Oh wait... Maybe that site is the reason I still can't animate... The tool was horrible and I learned some bad techiques. ._.

But yeah your animation is looking great!

• Like 1

• CABINET changed the title to So, I did an animation thing

Bit of tweaking, including less stiff leg and hopefully slightly less weird tail. Also now 24 fps with two frames per drawing instead of 12 fps with one frame per drawing. Because why not.

1557648896_RunningCatTake26.gif.347eef6b74ab20c6d4bcacd18b6b38d2.gif

• Love 3

1 minute ago, TundraKitsune said:

Bit of tweaking, including less stiff leg and hopefully slightly less weird tail. Also now 24 fps with two frames per drawing instead of 12 fps with one frame per drawing. Because why not.

THAT IS BEIATIFUL ASKAKAKSM

• Like 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling
3 minutes ago, TundraKitsune said:

Beautiful!! You're putting so much effort into this and its amazing! Great job! ^w^

• 8 months later...