Stray Fawn Community

Campaign Mode Ships and Captains

corona_wind

Limited parts means we can't build the ships we habitually use from the start.  What new things have you invented instead?  What captains do you prefer?

I like the Pilot captain...  Better thrust is a killer advantage when you only get four five engines, and those plasma long-lasers are deadly, efficient, and, well, long.

Here's my starting build:

nimbatus-captains-chair.png

It can mine, haul objects, and fight.  The afterburner makes a nice 'get out of danger fast' backwards gear.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's quite a wild design!  I'd love to see it in flight.

I have a much more compact workhorse.  Playing as researcher is great because of the energy=fuel thing.  Here's a 10-part drone that does everything I need for the first mission (and in fact several missions).  I can buy a 200% projectile count upgrade for 60 red before first launch, making this a very effective compact fighter.

Nimbatus_2019-08-22_13-42-23.png.a810e3e2617844ba60ee2095433c1947.png

Note that it's very efficient on boosters, having only 4 in total.  The large ones provide both turning and forward thrust (I just hold down two keys), and the small ones are reverse.  I can turn on the spot if reversing at the same time as a turn.  It harvests and hauls, and best of all -- it's free!

Nimbatus_GIF_201908221321206405.gif.148eec71000f4a2b0d47c5612b098a7e.gif

For planets that don't require any haulage, I swap out the magnet for a shield.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Engineer is the best choice overall.

The drone's size is highly minimised since it doesn't have to carry fuel, batteries or ressource tanks. Just slap them on a satellite or leave them in the nimbatus container.

High hp is cool, but you don't need to be a juggernaugt if you don't get hit

You can be just as fast as a pilot if you're not carrying extra ballast

Miner isn't really worth anything at the moment : What if i don't want to break that cover? Miner should get extra ressources from mining

Researcher is decent as you get to choose the weapon you need, but eventually you'll get more than enough weapons with the other captains

Best thing yet, ressource planets are a walk in the park since you don't need to get to the container every run and you can send out small ressource drones to do the work for you. Also you get a 50% discount for all launches, allowing you to send drones twice as big as the other captains for the same price.

Ps: I only played engineer so far, and honestly i'd have money problems if there weren't those ressource planets around. That and the deploy discount make me wonder:  Do other classes struggle with money?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2019 at 11:03 AM, Udonhef2bmad said:

Ps: I only played engineer so far, and honestly i'd have money problems if there weren't those resource planets around. That and the deploy discount make me wonder:  Do other classes struggle with money?

Yes, they do.  Though they balanced that somewhat.  Drones below a certain size now launch free, which has moved me away from my big old workhorse to something more like Astroslug's.  Upside:  Less money needed.  Downside:  Less free money from minerals and scrap I stumble upon.  Big downside:  Sometimes I end up launching twice, when I stumble on a particularly rich planet, which increases threat percentage.

The new 'mini magnet' is only marginally useful, no more pumping up lagging yellow numbers with scrap.

Unobtanium and shops seem easier to find now, so the arbitrary and random "threat" mechanic isn't as threatening as it was.

• 5 months later...

Just finished my first campaign run as the Engineer. Once I figured out what his powers did (beyond just cheaper drones)  it was nice bringing effectively 2-3 drones to a fight. and having all my fuel + energy safe in a satellite.  The logic blocks on either side translate my standard control keys/buttons to drone specific ones depending on which I am flying at the time. 

Drop the miner in the bucket release the combat drone. clear the planet / complete mission. then strip mine the planet or have a second drone to complete mission if I accidentally got the combat drone killed.

20200403224310_1.jpg

• Like 2

I am no good at nimbatus, right now anyways, new captins should help with that, and once we get a way to return to earth I'll actually be able to not lose the game.

• 4 weeks later...

I found that having a backwards functionality is greatly hindered with only two 2x1 thrusters. I need at least 4 to have any actual speed, and sure, I can put both behind me facing forward, but that makes it impossible to do anything once you run headlong into something.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:44 AM, corona_wind said:

Limited parts means we can't build the ships we habitually use from the start.  What new things have you invented instead?  What captains do you prefer?

I like the Pilot captain...  Better thrust is a killer advantage when you only get four five engines, and those plasma long-lasers are deadly, efficient, and, well, long.

Here's my starting build:

nimbatus-captains-chair.png

It can mine, haul objects, and fight.  The afterburner makes a nice 'get out of danger fast' backwards gear.

the picture is broken

• 1 month later...