Stray Fawn Community

Niche Scruff carrying

Deathpelt

I think that like cats and dogs in real life, Nichelings should be able to hold their kits in their mouths. The baby could be carried as soon as it is born, and can be carried up until two gems. Maybe also big bodied or large bodied creatures could carry lean bodied creatures like how in the wild sometimes animals will carry the weaker members of their packs or family. It would really help out when you have this one baby that runs out of energy before making it to the port, and you can just pick them up and leave the island. It would also make it easier so that the blue birds couldn't reach the baby. :) 

- Niches can only carry their babies till 2 gems!

- Babies that are carried up until two gems will not grow, and the child may take slight damage due to not being able to grow. They will be dropped onto available tiles next to the mother, if none than baby will stop growing until put down. 

- You CANNOT do anything besides walking when holding a kit in its mouth.

- Rare chance that a bluebird may still attack a scruff carried nicheling, however parent can fight back. 

• Like 26

I wonder though:
What happens if the baby in your mouth is supposed to grow up the next morning ^^?
Maybe the mom could drop it on a fields, somwhere around her. But what if all fields are already occupied?

22 minutes ago, Philo said:

I wonder though:
What happens if the baby in your mouth is supposed to grow up the next morning ^^?
Maybe the mom could drop it on a fields, somwhere around her. But what if all fields are already occupied?

Death and Destruction!! xD No good questions mother dropping child is of course logical and either one creature moves out of the way automaticly, the child never grows up (same when you keep the mother on the nest) until you drop it and there is also space or you simply cannot move a creature a specific tile next to the mother (let's say her front) when the baby is supposed to grow up and be dropped.

I mean with the merging glitches we already have just having the creatures merge seems a good option xD

• Like 2

@Philo

hmm. wait I'm trying to get my brain to actually think XD...

Perhaps the mother wouldn't drop the child, but the mom would take damaged for having to carry such a weight, or the baby would just be unlucky and the bearyena would be very happy! Like JoJo said the other niches may automatically move a tile over to let the baby down, but my brain isn't that good Cx

• Like 2

On 5/2/2018 at 12:59 AM, Philo said:

I wonder though:

On 5/2/2018 at 1:24 AM, Jojo said:

Death and Destruction!! xD No good questions mother dropping child is of course logical and either one creature moves out of the way automaticly, the child never grows up (same when you keep the mother on the nest) until you drop it and there is also space or you simply cannot move a creature a specific tile next to the mother (let's say her front) when the baby is supposed to grow up and be dropped.

I mean with the merging glitches we already have just having the creatures merge seems a good option xD

The child would take damage from not being able to grow, and the carrier would take damage from carrying such a heavy nicheling. They continue taking damage until you clear a tile for the child.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2018 at 4:24 AM, Jojo said:

it seems someone was bored lol

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2018 at 1:59 AM, Philo said:

I wonder though:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about a situation like where she's surrounded by bushes and there's nichelings on the tiles surrounding the entrance to that clearing? I would say forcing the nichelings to move a space away. If she's on a tile surrounded by water, then the baby should just fall into the water. I feel like if she drops the baby into the water or next to a predator then it's just a factor of the game. The niches don't have that much artificial intelligence in the first place, and it's not like animal mothers don't sacrifice their children to save themselves. 

Alternatively, you could just allow a feature for "crowded" where she shares the same spot as her child, but they're uncomfortable. As others have said, make someone hurt by it. Maybe mom hurts her neck from the weight of her child, or the child is old enough that it fights its own mother to be let loose. It wouldn't be that different from having a baby nestled into its mother as you have when she gives birth, would it? Just make them share the same hexagon if it's that big of a deal and put a drawback to it if they share it overnight.

You might want have her drop the cub overnight anyways. It's not like mothers hold their child for the entire day, it's really only for spurts. She grabs her cub next to her, carries it a few hexagons away, then drops that cub on a hexagon next to her in the same turn. She has one gem left for action. She couldn't have gotten into that spot without their being a viable path in the first place, so there will always be an available place for her cub to land.

As far as bluebirds go, it should protect the child from predation. I also like the pouch idea, but I wonder if it will have a more realistic implementation (animal does not need to make a nest as it raises its baby in its pouch, and perhaps it wouldn't be allowed to swim with its baby) or if its just a special body that both males and females could have, as per the kangaroo fantasy on TV.