Stray Fawn Community

Ever Rescued A Hurt Animal?

wolfhowlmay

My friends family recently found an injured baby squirrel and are taking him in for a couple days so he can get big enough to be safe and I felt like I had to share this adorable little guy.  Have any of you ever rescued an animal in need?

Snapchat-1481627978.mp4

(I think this link makes the video download to your computer, does anyone know how to upload a video in a way that can just be viewed in the thread?)

Edited by wolfhowlmay
  • Like 6

I saved a baby bird once!

Me and my familly went to live on a farm for a month when I was really young. We were observing the chickens when I found a strange black chick. At the time the only word I knew in english was Baby for some reason, so I yelled ''Baby! Baby!''. The owners of the farm then realized it wasn't a chick but a baby robin! We kept the baby robin safe, hoping his mom would come back. And she did! The end. 

And that's how I saved the baby birb. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Philo said:

I often pick up worms from the street and put them into the grass.
People look at me like I'm a weird creep when I do it xD

Oh I do this too sometimes! There's a lot of them that go out in the parking lot in front of my apartement complex and they all get squished by the cars so I try my best to save them from this. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid me and my friends found a baby blackbird. There were some cats circling around it, so we thought it's now or never.
We took it home and and feed it cat food with a tweezer. It survived and grew into an adult black bird. We even taught it to fly by throwing it into the air and catching it again. When it had grown up we brought it to a bird care center which also releases them into the wild again.
It was a female blackbird and we named her Shima ^^

• Like 2

I just remembered that we saved a young kitten one day from some mean kids throwing stones at it. I was really young at the time and my mom picked the kitten up even though she was allergic, just to help it :)

• Like 4

As a kid i tried to help a young bird that fell out of it's nest and was lying on the ground. I was told to leave it alone, the birds parents would keep an eye on it.... But i saw a cat on the other side of the street so i picked the small thing up and took it home. I tried to feed it some insects i catched, but the poor thing didn't survive the night. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

• 1 month later...

I sorta saved a baby mouse. My dogs found him (I don't know the exact gender, but I went with male) in some leaves. He was tiny and his eyes were closed. I picked him up and brought him inside, and from the moment I found him I was in love.

I watched millions of videos and read tons of articles about raising mice. I woke up every hour at night to feed him and care for him. I was tired, but it was so worth it to see his little eyes start to crack open. I named him Simon.

I had him for about a week. One night, I woke up to feed and care for him for the last time that night. When I saw him, he wasn't moving and was barely breathing. I felt so terrible because I didn't know what was wrong. An hour later he died😢. It may seem silly, but I was pretty attached. That's a picture of him below.

Simon #2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I saved a black swallowtail from my garage floor. She was pretty old , and I bet dehydrated. She didn't live the night, but she was comfortable when she passed. I named her Midnight, not sure if it was a male or a female though.
image.png.2576d71ed825088a43795c0f198ef8d0.png
She looked like that, even though it;s not a picture of her.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

This isn’t really a rescue story but I found a dragonfly in a puddle of water. I was 90% sure it was dead. I took it out using a stick since I don’t like touching bugs and tried to move it. Then the dragonfly fell off the stick and I was 100% sure it was dead. I should have brought it back and displayed it since it was a pretty looking specimen. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These were left to starve by the mother. 

20180519_205606.thumb.jpg.331c7269c7749d2aa2fa6e58b4f01692.jpg

We could only speculate on what exactly went wrong. What we do know is that they were very close to a construction site. It seems the mother visited less and less and eventually lost her milk. 

20180519_205622.thumb.jpg.324e58c2c117a12f70c73c89b5cbdec8.jpg

This one was a screamer, though. Allerted the whole neighbourhood. As I visited them daily, they saw me more and more as the actual mom, which was a situation I had never had when feeding strays. Something was very wrong.

There was no resistance when we took them. She didn't search. They didn't call. Sick and malnourished, the three survived and have homes now. Two didn't make it. I still don't know if they would have had, had we taken them earlier, or if more would have died, as every day counts at that age. 

This isn't a single tragedy. There are way too many strays on the streets.

Even in Austria, cats like these "belong" to certain farmers that don't feed or feed too little. They refuse to get the females fixed. There are too many cats, too little space and too little food. If they don't starve, the road gets them. It's the same every damn year. The few that make it prolong the cycle of misery. I am not sure which fate is worse. The construction was just a trigger.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Eh i only saved insects:Saved a lot of bugs from drowning in my pool,moved some ants away from the river with a stick,and sometimes drop them near plants so they dont get stepped on

Buut when i see wasps or flies drowning i just smack them with the pool cleaner an infinite amount of times to make sure its ded so yeah

• Like 1

Huh, I haven't seen this thread before.  we used to use no-kill traps for mice at home, and release them on an island park near where we live.  We also once rescued some baby flying squirrels in our attic.  We patched a hole in our roof, and apparently we sealed momma out.  We had to nurse some baby squirrels before we could release them.

• Like 2

Well, me and my uncle once saved a newborn baby bird that was hatching. We named her Hope. Here is her story:

So, one day I went to my uncle's house and we went outback and he showed me, in the bush, a robin's nest, that had 3 eggs. 

Then one day we went to go check on them and I realized that the bush was cut. Then my uncle said that he forgot to tell the bush cutters to not cut it. Then we checked and there was only one egg in the nest. We looked for the other ones and couldn't find them. Then we realized the only egg was hatching. So we brought her inside and tried to help her. Then, we tried to help her hatch. Once we got her out, we put her under a heat lamp. Then, a while after we decided to bring her back to her nest, just in case the parents came back. Then the next time I came over, I found out that she had died. I was crying for so long. 

(It was 2 or 3 years ago.)

• Like 1