Stray Fawn Community

Niche next steps (Mobile? Consoles?)

Philo

Dear pack

As you know the Sandbox Settings Update has recently been released on the main branch, yay :D
Now you may be wondering what comes next for Niche, so we wanted to give you a little update!

There won't be any big new updates for the PC game in the coming months.
However we have 2 cool things to share with you ^^

1) We are currently working on a prototype to bring a brand new game set in the Niche universe to mobile!
These are very early mockup screenshots. The game focuses less on survival and more on breeding.
Please note however that we will only finish and release this game if we think we can make something very cool out of it and its still too early to tell. 

1009911433_ScreenShot2019-07-29at14_11_06.thumb.png.5f77c1b5f78a9723323e3c645852a93d.png
_DSC4869.thumb.jpg.3476301f4721b37f5e73e373d57220c7.jpg

Larissa is the game designer and artist for the Niche mobile game.
Here you see her (left) playing the paperprototype with me :D

2) We're currently trying to port the game to Switch! For that we need a frozen version,
which means we can't really update the game for now (except for bug fixes).
Please note that here again nothing is 100% sure yet!

642133870_ScreenShot2019-07-29at14_25_41.thumb.png.abb243e8e52e0aa2f06a3b4b9ed91fb5.png

It might be a bit early to share all this with you, since the outcome of both projects is still uncertain. 
However we wanted to tell you what we're currently working on :)

• Like 2
  • Eek! 5
  • Paw up 4
  • Love 24

• Philo pinned this topic

OOH! Sounds cool! I think a mobile version would be awesome, but it may be hard to make it as interesting without the survival involved. But I could be wrong....seeing the new babies is my favorite part!

I have an idea....a niche BOARD GAME! XD

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Philo said:

1009911433_ScreenShot2019-07-29at14_11_06.thumb.png.5f77c1b5f78a9723323e3c645852a93d.png

The moment you wish you had a smartphone XD

Exept I don't want a smartphone but my sister has one and she would propably be interested

• Like 3

Maybe you guys could look at other popular mobile games that involve breeding? That way you can get more people to try the product, I think most of them involve fighting but you can opte for a different niche. *drums*

• Like 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling

Ooh that mobile version looks fun to play around with! Also Niche on Switch sounds so exciting!! I love the game too much on PC, but a step up to the Switch will be a wonderful idea! Taking Niche on the go.. now doesn’t that sound fun?

1 minute ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

Ooh that mobile version looks fun to play around with! Also Niche on Switch sounds so exciting!! I love the game too much on PC, but a step up to the Switch will be a wonderful idea! Taking Niche on the go.. now doesn’t that sound fun?

And the mobile would be better for younger fans of the game and others

Guest SilverTheNicheling
Just now, NumberCatPupSimGenerator said:

And the mobile would be better for younger fans of the game and others

Well.. whether I’d be young or not, the game interests me because of the genetics and breeding! Seeing the kids is always my favorite part because it makes me wonder how they’re gonna look like from their parents! ^^

Take Kirkuta and Sunbeam from “A New Legacy” for example, I never knew how Kutakir’s children were ever gonna end up looking like.. and once they were born as twins, I fell instantly in love with how they turned out! They have great genes, great coat colors, all in all they’re amazing! ^^

My 8 yr old cousin loved Niche when she played it at my house, but she doesn't have a computer, so mobile version would interest her a lot (especially if there's lots of babies xD)

Just now, Philo said:

@medicine cat These were actually Kickstarter rewards :)
Only 100 were made though. Backers could even choos their fur and eye color ^^

Now I want to go back in time and become a backer for it

I NEED ONE THEY’RE SO CUTEEEE

• Like 5

Ahhh, this is really exciting! It would be great to see Niche reach new platforms - and the mobile mockups look so cute already! ;o; Here's hoping it succeeds, I would love to see what you guys come up with!

• Like 4
  • Eek! 6
  • Paw up 1
  • Love 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling
17 minutes ago, JessiMew said:

Ahhh, this is really exciting! It would be great to see Niche reach new platforms - and the mobile mockups look so cute already! ;o; Here's hoping it succeeds, I would love to see what you guys come up with!

You’re awesome Jess! :3

35 minutes ago, JessiMew said:

JessiMew is stalking us

I love both of these ideas so much!

Back in the very early days of 'smart' phones, there was a game I loved that was just about breeding different animals to get cute other animals. I don't remember what it was called or any details, but I know that I haven't been able to find anything even remotely similar. Niche would definitely fill that niche (:P) for me

As for a switch version, I would love that so so much. When I go and visit my family, the laptop I take can't run Niche, so being able to take it with me on the Switch would be amazing. And then I could also take it to play on the train to work and ahhhh it would just be incredible

(Oh and that concept art is sooooooooooooooooo cute too!)

• Like 3