Stray Fawn Community

A Nimbatus Newbie Who Wants To Show You A Few Of Her Silly Drones (and wants advice)

CABINET

This is the demo, by the way.

Anyways, just aDmIrE the mAjEsTy of these... things

342489965_MyAbsoluteDisasterOfADrone.PNG.d9ce74e15bb9d97ff77e64e9db487eb7.PNG

1590828294_AnotherDisasterOfADrone.PNG.ab2bddb4b9f2cdd834deb59c96b1f320.PNG

So... Anyone have any advice on making drones that are functional (for planet missions) and don't look like a mess?

Like I said, I'm using the demo, so I probably don't have many of the cool features of the full game

• Like 4

They look good to me.  First one especially has pretty modular-looking layout.  I'm not sure how they work - what keybindings do they fly with?

The full version lets you put full-out skins on armor pieces, which lets you build stuff more like the concept art.

32 minutes ago, corona_wind said:

They look good to me.  First one especially has pretty modular-looking layout.  I'm not sure how they work - what keybindings do they fly with?

The full version lets you put full-out skins on armor pieces, which lets you build stuff more like the concept art.

The thrusters on the back use the W key, the ones on the side use the A or D keys (A for the right ones, D for the left ones I believe), the ones on the front use the S key (I like being able to reverse out of tight spaces)

Also, I have found that using the shields helps my drones not be destroyed super easily, but are they absolutely necessary (just out of curiosity...)?

And, how do you make drones autonomous? I haven't gotten into the sumo stuff, but it seems kinda interesting

P.S. My computer doesn't think "thruster" is a real word xD

• Paw up 1

To make drones automatic, you add sensors.  Sensors push keys for you, when they trigger.  There's also logic components, which alter and combine their signals.  You have total freedom in how to build it -- the full version includes a simple tutorial too.

You can build a basic drone with this parts and configuration:

• Three small engines:  Left(A), right(D), and middle (W).
  • Button (W).  This makes the middle engine fire all the time.
  • Direction Indicator (left A, right B, mode 'cursor').  Make sure the grey part points forward.  It fires the left and right engines to aim at your cursor.

That makes a drone that follows your mouse cursor around.  If it flees from you, you have left/right backwards.

To make it fully automatic, change the direction indicator mode.

• "Next waypoint" is for racing drones, always turning towards the center of the racetrack.
  • "Enemy drone" mode makes it play sumo, pushing its target around.
  • "Gravity" mode makes it fly ... straight down.  Not useful here, good for hover drones though.

Nearly all racing and sumo drones work like this.

Once you get the basic drone working, it's not a stretch to build a "hover drone", which stays up-and-down with direction sensor, and has engines on all sides letting you fly WASD.

And you have total freedom in how you build anything.  If it works?  It works.

cbbyuWX.gif

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TundraKitsune said:

Also, I have found that using the shields helps my drones not be destroyed super easily, but are they absolutely necessary (just out of curiosity...)?

In some ways they're a hindrance -- they suck so much power, and fail so fast.  You can take a few hits without them and dodge most things if you plan ahead.  But on a really long level (corporate laboratory) it's difficult to luck out every time.  Even with shields, I've ended up losing most engines and weapons by the end...

They're useful if you have good reflexes, so you can turn them on ONLY when you need them.  Or get automatics do that for you.  Expect them to fail, a lot, and have to get out of the way a while.

• Paw up 1

Howdy! Nice drones you got there!

If you aren't concerned about part count, larger drones tend to be less dependent on shields and better able to make use of them when you use them. It's easier to build in redundancies that prevent a lucky shot from totally crippling a critical function.

One thing any drone can design around is using it's less critical parts to protect more critical parts from harm. The order I typically protect parts in is Core>Logic>Sensors>Propulsion>Shields>Weapons>Fuel>Mission Critical parts>Everything Else

Lastly, your drone will be more stable and somewhat more survivable if you connect parts to either the core or the part with the most mass and hp nearby. 

Having never played the demo, that's about all the advice I can give, I'm afraid :(  

Salutations and good luck! 

• Like 3

I would recommend to try and not merge parts together like the tank and shield part in your 2nd module as they reduce your drone's structural stability . I'm a pretty new player here so this might not make any sense🤣🤣

• Paw up 1