Stray Fawn Community

Basic Shield improvement

Roger

Hi everybody.
As I was watching Lathlands latest youtube video of nimbatus, I got a bit annoyed of how overpowered the shields are. You can put them on your drone and let them always be active, which makes the missions too easy and monotonous.

I thought of two different ways to improve it's behaviour:

1. The shields drain more energy over time.
2. Shields have a limited active time and need to cool down. (Active time could be improved with upgrades in the future)

What do you think? Any other suggestions? What would you prefer?

• Like 3

7 replies to this post

Both nice ideas :) I'll add:

3. Shields need a small amount of energy when they are open/active, but not much. But when they get hit, they need way more energy to be able to stay open. The problem is, that it's difficult to previsualize how much batteries you need to keep the shields active beforehand.

4. The shields have a certain amount of HP. They are active all the time until the HP depletes. Then they need time (and even more battery?) to recharge. If they are recharched then they open again with full HP.

If someone has more suggestions, please keep 'em coming :) Additionally I think that eventually we need different kind of shields for different purposes (ammunition type, environment, ...)

• Like 1

Great Idea with the heat, and I love the idea of the logic shield :) We sooner or later need something to detect damage.

Another Idea, make the shield even stronger, like, absorb almost all possible attacks, even Area Damage effects, but instead use a ton of energy. Like, you would need like 10 Solar Panels for 1 Shield. And the Way to go would be you have to use Batteries instead of shields, but you would deplete them very rapidly. So the solution is, you can't have them turned-on all the time and you can rarely use them. But when you do, they are very effective.

• Like 1

I think that shields would be a very good opportunity to create relevant gameplay choices. Taking some inspiration from Overwatch's variety of shield-centered skills, having some variety could really create interesting choices:

• Basic Shield: 360 degree, medium radius, health-based with low idle energy consumption, higher energy consumption to refill when damaged. 
  • Antimatter Shield: 360 degree, medium radius, can absorb any amount of damage, but extremely high energy consumption. Perfect to block huge damage spikes.
  • Energy Barrier: ~135 degree wall, big radius, health-based. substantially beefier than the basic shield. Can only regenerate when not taking damage for at least ~1 second. Well suited for short to medium defense periods against directed attacks.

These are just examples - the basic idea would be to play around with shape/coverage, idle/active energy consumption, damage negation models (health-based, infinite absorption, reflection etc.) and other values to create a range of interesting choices.

• Like 3

Using health based sheilds would open up new opportunities to upgrade sheilds to be more or less resistant to chip damage. Like having a sheild with 1000 hp but recharges slowly and only after being out of combat for several seconds, and a sheild with 100 hp that recharges quickly and after being out of combat for 1-2 seconds.

• Like 1

Maybe we could have shields that block out-going weaponfire as well as incoming? You'd have to either keep weapons outside of it or turn it off to fire. Give it better stats than the standard shield and players will find a way to use it. They'll probably even want a way to reduce the radius to keep certain ship parts out.

Might be worth considering other "blocks more than you want it to" options like... terrain! The shield doesn't let terrain through so the drone just floats above it until the shield is turned off. Have to turn the shield off to fit through tight spaces, and turning it back on while in that tight space can be used as a way of braking.

And these shields that would be HP-based and would need to recharge... Would they recharge faster/only when turned off?

• Like 1