Stray Fawn Community

Parravens: Smart birds you can befriend or enrage

Dun(ce) Crow

First: Is it alright if I repost this suggestion over here?

Original Thread

These mixtures of ravens and parrots nest on a tree, in a small group of two to seven, with an average of three.

Additionally, there might be up to two Parraven chicks in the group.

Depending on your actions, a group of Parravens might be friendly, neutral, or hostile towards your pack.

Normally, they are neutral, which means that they will tolerate your critters - at least if you don't get on their nerves. They will hunt for rabbits in a large area around the tree and sometimes snatch nesting material from built nests if nobody sits on them. They also attack predators sitting within two tiles from their tree. If you leave a baby unattended in this area (why would you do that?!), there is a chance that they might snatch it.

If a critter stays directly beside their tree overnight, there is a small chance that they become hostile and attack it. There is a somewhat larger chance that they become hostile if you shake the tree and when you eat acorn. Sometimes there will be a hurt Parraven chick stranded near the tree. If you eat that, the Parravens will get hostile.

A hostile Parraven group might attack anyone of your critters sitting in the above mentioned "predator zone", and snatch away your young if they sit unprotected in the preying zone. And theft of nesting material becomes more frequent. And they might lead predators toward your pack.

common-raven-3788-ron-dudley.jpg

(random raven nest picture to break up this wall of text. Source: http://www.featheredphotography.com/blog/)

You can also help that stranded Parraven chick by licking its wounds and leading it back to the tree, giving a very high chance of making that Parraven group friendly. For a smaller chance at befriending them, you can leave food or nesting material beneath the tree.

A friendly Parraven group will occasionally bring you food or nesting material. They will still steal from you, but not as often. They will also warn you when there is a predator approaching, and if it is in range of the tree and too close to your pack, they might even attack the predator. If one of your critters near the tree has leeches, they will eat that leech. But they still won't allow you to take any acorns. Shaking the tree might turn them neutral again. However, they now won't snatch your young at all!

Each Parraven can only attack once per day, making little damage, but there are multiple of them and you can't attack them back. Quills work though. If climbing legs/paws are added, you would be able to catch them on their trees.

Regardless of relationship, they will be less than tolerant towards the blue birds, resulting in a smaller risk of unattended babies being snatched by blue birds, if they are in the Parraven's preying zone. If the babies are directly beneath the tree, the blue birds will only very rarely dare to take them.

Concept Art, by MysticTopaz. Thank you!

Discussion on how the alert might work specifically

Some more elaboration on how Parraven territories could work

Colour variants by biome? (Concept Art)

So, what do you think?

• Like 8

16 replies to this post

With the new flying nichelings, there should be some more specific interactions between those and the Parravens. Perhaps trying to get on the tree will always be seen as a hostile action by the birds, and have a chance to turn them neutral/hostile, just like taking their acorns?

Perhaps, if you leave a winged nicheling newborn under the tree of friendly Parravens, they could adopt it?

Also, now that there are more trees, do you think there are trees they shouldnt be able to Nest on?

• Like 2

Okay, if this is added alongside certain other suggestions, there should be interactions with those. Here are some ideas:

Sandbox Customization options: Since Parravens could potentially change the gameplay drastically,  both the spawning of their colonies and the ability to befriend/enrage them should be able to switch off.

Challenge Mode - Islands Falling Apart; Volcanic Island: Due to their high intelligence and mobility, it would make sense for a Parraven colony on a doomed island to move away on their own. On the next island, you may have a chance to meet a group of Parravens with the same relationship status. Wether that group is the same as before or simply another group which has been told about your nicheling tribe would be up to interpretation by the player.

Scruff Carrying: A nicheling should be able to carry a Parraven chick the same way, which allows for faster and safer transportation at the risk of its parents misinterpreting it as predatory behaviour.

New Weather Types: In fog, the range of their sight would be much smaller, but they could still fly out. In thunderstorm and hail, they won't fly at all.

Beaver Teeth Tree Cutting: If you cut down a tree carrying a colony of Parravens, they will move to the closest fitting tree, turn hostile, and tell any other Parravens about it, making any other Parraven you may meet hostile as well, even on other islands. This effect lasts a several generations of your extremely foolish groundlings.

Avian features (several suggestions): A bird-like appearance should give a small relationship bonus.

So, what do you think of these interactions? Better ideas?

• Like 2

I like the idea of them being more friendly based upon a more birdlike appearance. Perhaps this also translates to a more bearyena appearance making them less likely to trust you, since they're automatically hostile to predators?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MysticTopaz said:

I like the idea of them being more friendly based upon a more birdlike appearance. Perhaps this also translates to a more bearyena appearance making them less likely to trust you, since they're automatically hostile to predators?

that does sound like a good idea

• Like 1

Okay, so I took a look at the old "biome color variations" sketches, and I decided they needed an upgrade XD Again, this is just a suggestion!

Grassland: 32428391_GrasslandParraven.png.51d7998982ae257037bd2d9ecfcb1fe8.png

Savannah: 2014057408_SavannahParraven.png.a865691247e2a8cac2d4547f14e9687f.png

Swamp: 892676142_SwampParraven.png.3f1f71b468195ea5eb795f12df9fd4ab.png

Winter: 628524493_WinterParraven.png.6e53439ac44c0d359cd0666a0c8e1304.png

Whale Island: 372367428_WhaleIslandParraven.png.7d3c7c987fa1a71807dff44e88f049be.png

Jungle: 72122043_ValentineParraven.png.a25eba8aaa274ea67e635c0ae7a0ea03.png

Other/Extra: 

Tropical: 627364542_TropicalParraven.png.1c1efa4d858435ea7d1e5ec70cf45877.png

Red: 1076454089_RedParraven.png.13ad809ebffe7a8f78ebc38625401066.png

• Like 3

This was my favorite suggestion that was made last time, and I am very happy to see it suggested again! I love the complex interaction they would have with the nichelings other than just the usual predator/prey relationships we see with all of the other creatures. The complexity of the nichiling-parraven relationship is a very good idea and something I would like to see in another creature in the game. Also, I love the animal combination!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 1:15 AM, MysticTopaz said:

Okay, so I took a look at the old "biome color variations" sketches, and I decided they needed an upgrade XD Again, this is just a suggestion!

Grassland: 32428391_GrasslandParraven.png.51d7998982ae257037bd2d9ecfcb1fe8.png

Savannah: 2014057408_SavannahParraven.png.a865691247e2a8cac2d4547f14e9687f.png

Swamp: 892676142_SwampParraven.png.3f1f71b468195ea5eb795f12df9fd4ab.png

Winter: 628524493_WinterParraven.png.6e53439ac44c0d359cd0666a0c8e1304.png

Whale Island: 372367428_WhaleIslandParraven.png.7d3c7c987fa1a71807dff44e88f049be.png

Jungle: 72122043_ValentineParraven.png.a25eba8aaa274ea67e635c0ae7a0ea03.png

Other/Extra: 

Tropical: 627364542_TropicalParraven.png.1c1efa4d858435ea7d1e5ec70cf45877.png

Red: 1076454089_RedParraven.png.13ad809ebffe7a8f78ebc38625401066.png

I love the colorations! The green and red morphs at the bottom for the tropical habitat remind me of the eclectus parrot, where the females are red and the males green, and the females try to entice the males with their bright plumage, the opposite of most avian gender roles.

6 hours ago, BlazingCorvid said:

I love the colorations! The green and red morphs at the bottom for the tropical habitat remind me of the eclectus parrot, where the females are red and the males green, and the females try to entice the males with their bright plumage, the opposite of most avian gender roles.

Thank you so much! I did try to base all the colors off of actual parrot colors ❤️ 

OoooO I know this would be impossible BUT what if a new hybrid could be made out of this bird? they could have wings toxic body possibly bird beak or maybe a new kind of beak to be more like the hybrids bird parent. This could be fun to have a bird of paradise body? :) Idk this isn't the best of ideas but could bring an interesting feature to the fabulous game