Stray Fawn Community

I'm hopping on the bandwagon!

Lilytuft

Criticize me!

Ruin my self esteem! This is an order! I feel like I'm too confident about my art...

There's always room for improvement. Just tell me where that room is. Please.

(Also I can take criticism, you won't really ruin my self esteem unless you try really hard to, don't worry. Even if someone ends up ruining it, I won't mind at all :))

image.png.31e1f616cc616947f731c014915beb31.png

image.png.b6567cf5deb2cb3b009fd6f2982d831f.pngimage.png.c5b0ebdc46b5a0aa5a697db1909fb4d2.pngimage.png.32af348e82a8bbf218945ce7d0bbf8f6.pngimage.png.5bf20b790ebefab5a091a21de3def13f.png

(I know this next one has lineart issues)

image.png.07c06c05f0d1ae30d710f51e74c30296.png

image.png.e6e3cf7a4cd043c4745175976651e344.png

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Just now, Lilytuft said:

So... How can I improve these tails?

Whenever I run into a tail I'm not good with, I usually take the animal the tail is based off of. And I trace the tail until I'm better with it.

3 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

(Also I can take criticism, you won't really ruin my self esteem unless you try really hard to)

Oh boy was I wrong about this! 😂

I need to learn to take it better.

Also I got what I asked for

3 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

Ruin my self esteem! This is an order! I feel like I'm too confident about my art...

I adore your nichelings! I would happily watch a whole cartoon show about your nichelings, they have so much character.

I think in general you have a really good image of what nichelings look like and can translate that well into art. I think the two drawings with the most room for growth would be the aquatic nicheling and the final drawing. With the water bodied nicheling, I find it's helpful to think about what those genes actually have to do, so for example, with the swimming tail, it's based on a beaver tail which is essentially designed as a building tool. As such it can't have fur that can get muddied up and is probably best represented with solid lines, rather than the slightly jagged lines that seems to imply fur. The same with the water body as well, while its open to interpretation what these features actually look like, I feel like things often read 'better' if they match what you'd expect based on real creatures (I always think of things like seals when it comes to the fur texture of water bodied nichelings). The line separating the back fin from the rest of the body as well, for me makes it read less like a fin and more like a strangely placed tail. Removing that line will give it more of an appearance of a part of the body that flows on from the body, rather than being a separate part

With the final image, my issue is that the spotted nicheling looks like it's off balance, due to how the legs on the side furthest away from the viewer seem shorter than those at the front. Especially with the hind leg, it looks like the nicheling may have lost their back foot. If that isn't the look you're going for, making sure you draw out the shape of the paw, like you've done in many of your other drawings, can offset that perspective and make the creature look more balanced. If you are trying to show an injury, really emphasizing the difference between the two limbs can convey that to the viewer (I also find that watching videos of tripod animals can help me get an idea of how they move differently to animals with all four paws)

I hope that helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2019 at 4:40 AM, ValkyrieWolff said:

I adore your nichelings! I would happily watch a whole cartoon show about your nichelings, they have so much character.

I think in general you have a really good image of what nichelings look like and can translate that well into art. I think the two drawings with the most room for growth would be the aquatic nicheling and the final drawing. With the water bodied nicheling, I find it's helpful to think about what those genes actually have to do, so for example, with the swimming tail, it's based on a beaver tail which is essentially designed as a building tool. As such it can't have fur that can get muddied up and is probably best represented with solid lines, rather than the slightly jagged lines that seems to imply fur. The same with the water body as well, while its open to interpretation what these features actually look like, I feel like things often read 'better' if they match what you'd expect based on real creatures (I always think of things like seals when it comes to the fur texture of water bodied nichelings). The line separating the back fin from the rest of the body as well, for me makes it read less like a fin and more like a strangely placed tail. Removing that line will give it more of an appearance of a part of the body that flows on from the body, rather than being a separate part

With the final image, my issue is that the spotted nicheling looks like it's off balance, due to how the legs on the side furthest away from the viewer seem shorter than those at the front. Especially with the hind leg, it looks like the nicheling may have lost their back foot. If that isn't the look you're going for, making sure you draw out the shape of the paw, like you've done in many of your other drawings, can offset that perspective and make the creature look more balanced. If you are trying to show an injury, really emphasizing the difference between the two limbs can convey that to the viewer (I also find that watching videos of tripod animals can help me get an idea of how they move differently to animals with all four paws)

I hope that helps!

Sorry for never replying to this, it was really helpful but I never got around to saying it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lisa The Dragonwolf said:

idk why, but i just dont like pictures without outlines.

no idea why, they just look strange to me.

but your art is uncritisisable

I don't use lineart with most of my art, but at the same time I'm not good with lineless.

Looking at my old stuff, there's definitely a lot to criticize (as well as in my newer art too)

13 hours ago, Lisa The Dragonwolf said:

I just wanna know

how to draw nichelings

because i really can only draw short-snouted animals

So you want help with that?

7 hours ago, Lilyturf said:

I don't use lineart with most of my art, but at the same time I'm not good with lineless.

Looking at my old stuff, there's definitely a lot to criticize (as well as in my newer art too)

So you want help with that?

yes

• Like 1