Stray Fawn Community

Drone rotates with planet

MАTTRESS

Okay this is my first Nimbatus suggestion, not sure what to title it exactly.

Instead of having a drone that turns, I like to have it so I can use WASD to move up, left, down, and right. When I do this on a planet the drone does not rotate but the camera does and then W goes right, A goes down, S goes left, D goes up.

Not sure if this belongs in bugs

3 replies to this post

Inevitably, things like atmospheric drag, off-centre impacts, or simply shifting centre of mass after losing parts will cause your ship to rotate anyway.

As an astral being, I am regularly travelling among the stars, and I can say this is how it works out in the real universe too.  The human meat shells on this planet have their own solution, called reaction control systems (RCS) that compensate for changes in orientation.  Although even those need to be adjusted in a changing gravitational field.

Still, you can build a super-simple approximation to one in Nimbatus by just adding rotational thrusters to your drone and controlling them automatically with a directional gravity sensor:

Nimbatus_2019-08-18_21-00-58.png.6225521eb88bcc358a63065fe7a4ea27.png

Here, the large thrusters are the WASD directional controls, and I bound the smaller ones to Q and E for rotating the craft which is driven by the gravity sensor.

• Confused 1

On 8/17/2019 at 6:50 PM, gamingcookie said:

Okay this is my first Nimbatus suggestion, not sure what to title it exactly.

Instead of having a drone that turns, I like to have it so I can use WASD to move up, left, down, and right. When I do this on a planet the drone does not rotate but the camera does and then W goes right, A goes down, S goes left, D goes up.

Not sure if this belongs in bugs

Nimbatus is a construction game, and gives you all the parts you need to build that.  If you're having trouble, check out the tutorials, and/or download a simple drone from steam which does what you want.