Stray Fawn Community

No time limit on ore planet

astroslug

It's now happened twice that I visit an ore planet in campaign mode and there is no time limit.  So I just mine the planet to death, collecting thousands of resources!  But it kinda takes away all the excitement.

In fact, I've never seen a time limit on ore planets when using that computer.  On a different computer, there is always a time limit.

Please let me know what additional information or files you require to troubleshoot this.  Current version is 0.7.4.

• Like 1

Just updating you...  I decided to test my specific-machine theory tonight, by starting a new campaign on my dev machine, which was the "different" computer where I'd seen time limits on an ore planet previously, and with which I believe (although not 100% certain) I was doing the Pilot campaign at the time.  So I made a new Researcher campaign -- this is the same mode I was in when I saw this issue previously.  And when I eventually found an ore planet, I spawned on it to find no time limit.

So my new just-as-implausible theory is was that it's related to being in the Researcher campaign.  [edit] I just went and checked, and my pilot campaign has 8000 / 700 ore -- so yeah, the first time it happened was pilot campaign.

Maybe it just happens randomly.

Nimbatus_2019-08-22_23-25-12.thumb.png.a3801978a92f4b911a16091b962072e6.png

It's interesting that the "Mine as many resources as you can" objective is already checked.  As you'll see in the screenshot, I've already explored a little and did in fact collect and return some ore.  I don't know if it was checked when I first arrived, but I have a feeling that it was.

So another suspicion is that the objective being checked is actually preventing the explode-timeout from happening.

One meta-question here: what is the actual mechanism for this objective?  The planet is going to explode, and I need to collect what I can within some timeframe (the lack of which I'm assuming is a bug)... But how do you decide "okay you've collected what you can"?  It doesn't really make sense as a reachable objective, unless it's checked automatically when I leave or the planet explodes.

The only other way I can imagine that objective being useful is that you're using this value internally as a way to stop the planet from being visited again, and it's just kinda breaking things.

Anyway, I'll stop conjecturing!  Drives me crazy when people report bugs to me and tell me what they think might be happening...  Yet here I am doing it. 😊

• Like 1

Hmm Interesting.Thanks alot for the detailed report!
I did not manage yet to reproduce the bug.

Would be great if you can upload the logfile right after you visit the ore planet when it's bugged.
The logfile is stored here: C:\Users\Username\AppData\LocalLow\Nimbatus\Nimbatus\output_log.txt

• Like 1

Well, here's the log file from the session where this happened, but I've been playing for a while.  I can't just go back and visit a bugged ore planet, because they're single-visit worlds, right?  Plus, I've now left that galaxy and cannot go back to check.

The log file contains no timestamps, so I can't isolate it to the time when I made the updated post (which is when I was currently on that planet).  Anyways, I've attached it, and maybe there's some way for you to find information related to visiting an ore planet in there.  Note that I only visited it once.  Since then, I've loaded a couple of other campaigns, and then returned to the one I was playing when reporting the bug.

One hint might be I see a ton of null reference exceptions in there related to laser beams.  Now, the first time I used a laser in this campaign is actually for a drone that I made specifically for mining this ore planet.  Maybe there's a connection.  If I recall, it was a cryo laser, upgraded with digging 3, beams 3 and energy -80%.

Hope that helps.  I don't think I'm willing to start a new campaign and grind to the ore planet just to test this again!

output_log.zip

• Like 1

The laser beam exception is nothing critical. It's a bug in the weapon preview tooltip when you hover over a weapon.
But I'll try to reproduce it with a drone that has lasers.

Other than that nothing really out of the ordinary in the logfile. 

No worries, I'll try to reproduce it myself. Thanks alot for the testing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...