Stray Fawn Community

Tropical Volcano Island & Delphirtle Aquatic Creature

Draconiya

I'm aware that there's another suggestion for a volcano island already, but I had this written before that thread was posted. I'm not stealing "Ancestor Nature"'s idea.

Anyway, here are my combined ideas for a new island type and an aquatic creature that would inhabit the surrounding ocean and beaches of that island. :D

New Island: Tropical Volcano Island

This would be a new type of island, set at Medium difficulty or higher, and it'd have a hot climate, requiring at least 1 or 2 heat resistance. A large mountain in the center dominates the landscape, like the First Snow island, however this mountain is made of tiles resembling black volcanic rock instead of the grey-ish mountain tiles from the cold islands. Black fur gives a bonus to camouflage on these tiles. Berrybushes spawn aplenty in the grassland-jungle mix of tiles further down the mountainside, which are rimming the island. Coconut trees on the beaches are scattered about in abundance, and even some healing fruits and jungle plants like the Stinky Fruit Trees or Carnivorous Plants could spawn.

There are many coves and bays, large beach areas and lots of corals (Waterbreathing Plants) in the shallow ocean areas that surround the island, as well as nearby several tiny, sandy islands further offshore. Clusters of corals form reefs on the sides of these islands, along with seaweed that most commonly spawns Clown Koi. Seaweed and all kinds of fish spawn in the bays, making Water Body and Gills very viable. When it rains, mosquito swarms could spawn on swamp tiles scattered in with the grassland-jungle mix, though that may be too much.

The mountain's peak would be cut off in a bowl shape, like a small caldera, and it's height and shape would vary from island to island. A Nicheling would be able to climb down into the sealed-off crater without danger if the volcano is currently dormant. A randomized event would take place every now and again, similar to the cold island's seasons, causing the player to hear rumbling on the first day and see the volcano's maw begin to smoke, hear louder rumbling and see occasional shaking of the entire island on the second, until on the third day the volcano erupts. The summit is filled to the brim with lava, and a randomized amount of 1-3 tile wide lava streams start to pour down from the top of the mountain, advancing a tile every time a Nicheling moves, or one tile for every two moves made by Nichelings, if the first would be too difficult. If a Nicheling, plant or other creature touches a lava stream, they die or are instantly destroyed, and if they are right next to a lava stream, they take damage from the intense heat. Nichelings should flee towards the shore and into the water, since the lava streams will cease flowing once they touch water, and begin cooling over the next three days. The sides of the mountain will be very barren for some time, turning the tiles where the lava hardened into black volcanic rock. However, once it rains, saplings will appear again, on both the mountainsides and the trails of black tiles where the lava of the most recent eruption cooled. The saplings could either be randomly placed, or regrow on tiles where berrybushes used to be, and will reach maturity in the next few days, faster than a regular berry bush would if it was cut down, since the soil left behind by a volcanic eruption is very fertile.

There are no acorn trees, however there might be Bearyenas or a new kind of tropical predator that isn't as strong as the apes to replace Bearyenas. Other creatures on the island include Bunnils, Dodomingoes, Crabbits, Rogue Males, wandering Nichelings, Bluebirds, possibly an ape or two spawning from jungle trees that might appear in a couple of the generated islands or a more difficult version of them, and a new kind of aquatic creature I'd like to call the Delphirtle, though an alternate name could be Turphin or Dolphirtle.

New Aquatic Creature: Delphirtle16antw4.jpg

These creatures are hybrids of a dolphin and a turtle. Unlike all aquatic creatures right now, they don't skirt along the bottom of the sea floor, but float near the surface of the water, similarly to how Bluebirds float above land tiles. They'd probably work like bunnils, moving a tile every time one of the player's Nichelings moves. They spawn in schools of 2-6 individuals, hunt fish, crack shells and eat seaweed, as well as attack crabbits if they're underwater. They have 1-2 eyesight, 1-2 smelling, 2 defense (given by their turtle shell), 6 fishing, 2-3 swimming, 1 speed (beach only), 1 Cracking, 1 Collecting (seaweed only), and 2-4 attack.

They're neutral to the player's Nichelings unless attacked, or if their food sources (fish spawn places) have been taken over by the player's tribe, then they will be hostile towards solo Nichelings or Nichelings in groups smaller than their school, otherwise they'll flee. As a randomized or season-bound event, a school will migrate to nearby beach tiles, crawl onto the sand, and lay eggs, 1-2 per Delphirtle. Then, the school stays in the water nearby until these eggs hatch. The eggs may be harvested by Nichelings, however this will turn any nearby Delphirtles of the same school hostile. After two to three days, the young Delphirtles will hatch and crawl over the sand into the ocean. Adolescents have only 1 defense and 1 swimming, and are unable to fish or crack clams. After about five days, which are spent sharing a tile with adult Delphirtles, they grow up and form a new, independent school. If there are more than 6 adolescents, they split into two schools, each consisting of 2-6 members. A Delphirtle drops about 5-10 food when killed. When the player arrives on the island, one school will be spawned in the ocean surrounding it. Another school has a very low chance of spawning each time a day is passed, in saltwater out of sight of the player's Nichelings and far away from any other schools currently present. Additional schools may form from a present school's offspring. If a maximum of four schools is reached, no more eggs will be laid. Delphirtles have a lifetime of 20 days.

Rarely, an individual Delphirtle may spawn with the ability to pick up a leech. If a Nicheling removes their leech and gives them 5-10 food, this Delphirtle's school will from then on be friendly to them, unless Nichelings from the same tribe attack this school, their eggs or their adolescents. They will from then on be likely to stay within five or six tiles of the Nicheling who befriended them, and when a Delphirtle from this school catches fish, it will, as long as it is within sight range of a Nicheling from the player's tribe, bring that Nicheling half of the spoils which then go towards the player's food count. This school will also not eat any seaweed or crack any clams within sight of the player's Nichelings. The individual who spawned with the ability to pick up leeches can still pick them up, and will swim to the nearest Nicheling for help if they happen to get one.

I imagine Delphirtles to have colours similar to sea turtles: shades of blue-green with some blue-grey and darker bits, though a very blue-grey-heavy design might fit better with the oceans of Niche. That's for the devs to decide, if this suggestion gets far enough.

What do you think? :)

• Like 7

17 replies to this post

That sounds really good and well thought out.  I had a similar idea regarding a Tropical Island, so very happy to up-vote this one.  A couple of the ideas I had that could go along with it (not sure if any of these have been recommended elsewhere so I apologize if they have):

-Geysers that would randomly erupt and have a spray radius around them or could be wind dependent (random couple tiles).

-Tide pools within the island that spawn clams, fish, and crabbits.

-A new tropical predator that is a combination of big cats like a Tigard (Tiger/Leopard) or a Liotah (Lion/Cheetah).  They would be very hard to hear and quite fast (lots of movement), but perhaps scared off relatively easy (for a couple of days).

-Also played with the idea of rising tides onto sandy beaches every few days, but wasn't sure how easy that would be to do.

Thank you for putting this great idea into words. :)

• Like 4

As promised; here's my concept art for the Delphirtle:

16antw4.jpg

I'm not that good at image editing, and it's kind of difficult to make a hand-drawn sketch look decent, but I think I did an okay job with this one.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

This is a overall great idea  and I really like it. Maybe adding a shark like creature. This shark could be a predator of the sea and get attacked by the Turphins. Of course if the school is friendly. The shark would be the size of a Nicheling and would be extremely aggressive . They would look mostly like a hammer head shark with a little changing. Some tentacles, different pattern and/or colour depending on biome and extra finns or tails might be some good ideas. I originally thought they would be silver and blue with some sandy details.They would have 1 defence (from hard skin),  4 fishing, 3 swimming and 2 attack. When killed they give 8 meat. A good name might be Tegrahead or Shasqui.The spawning would be randomly generated just like the blue birds. Maybe a little more often. They  tend to be mostly alone and not in school and live about 25 days.

I am not that good at art but I might try my hand at a concept art for these fellas. I am really sorry if I took someone's idea but this is my first time here and I have not yet seen something like this before.

I like your idea, but you might want to put it in a thread of it's own, since it's something original that has little to do with my idea. The devs have requested that each suggestion gets a seperate thread, so people can upvote that idea specifically if they like it.

I haven't seen anything quite like your shark yet either, so I don't think you have to worry about stealing someone's idea. Tegrahead or Shasqui sound like really nice names!

• Like 1

Are we allowed to bump suggestion threads? I made a lot of edits to the first post in order to phrase things more clearly and concisely, to make it easier to understand, and I think with the added concept art it has changed quite a bit from the previous version.

6 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

...AND AWAY!

Nope. Not copying and pasting Up's summary...

Carl Fredricksen, a 78-year-old balloon salesman, is about to fulfill a lifelong dream. Tying thousands of balloons to his house, he flies away to the South American wilderness. But curmudgeonly Carl's worst nightmare comes true when he discovers a little boy named Russell is a stowaway aboard the balloon-powered house. A Pixar animation.

• Haha 2

I really like the idea of a volcanic island and more sea life. This would make the antennae useful, too, giving one extra time to prepare.

I am just worried about overfishing. Would they require a lot of hunger to actually go fishing (with that 6...)? Or is competition a main point for challenge?

If so, a 4 in attack would make them stronger than the apes. I don't understand how, though, without sharp teeth, high bone density or claws. Add this to the defense and they're OP.

Your average fisher doesn't have defense. Making gills and armored body the only option is a bit limiting for a water island. 

That can be okay on killer islands. More sea life would be nice, though. Considering that they swarm you... maybe 2 would be enough? 

Just some food for thought. I am sure you have something in mind for these points already, I would like to know what, though. 

8 hours ago, Draconiya said:

So what? Multiple different interpretations of one idea can be posted, even though they might seem similar on the surface. My take on a volcano island is very different to yours. Also, your suggestion was posted ages ago, so you do understand that I had no idea it existed when I created this thread, right?

the rules state not to post things that have already been posted, like multiple suggestions for the same gene or in this case, multiple suggestions for the same island. maybe you should search to ensure your post is original, so you dont have to deal with this.

On 9/5/2018 at 12:35 AM, Finnwinter said:

yo i already posted about a volcano island

So what? Multiple different interpretations of one idea can be posted, even though they might seem similar on the surface. My take on a volcano island is very different to yours. Also, your suggestion was posted ages ago, so you do understand that I had no idea it existed when I created this thread, right?