Stray Fawn Community

Insectivorous nichelings

AMEcco

Hi all! This is the first time making a suggestion so here goes.

Many animals feed on insects so why not nichelings? Potential food sources could be the bug swarms already in game, logs, and termite mounds. Logs would be found in grasslands and maybe jungles too. They would function like berry bushes, yielding a certain ammount of insect food and replenishing their supplies overnight. Termite mounds would be found in the savannah and can be cracked open, respawning two days after initially being destroyed. Like carnivorous plants, they can spawn as hostile or non-hostile. Non-hostile termite mounds can be cracked open and gathered from safely. When a nicheling gathers from or cracks open a hostile termite mound, they will be swarmed. The termite swarm must be licked off by another nicheling before the day ends or the nicheling will be bitten and take damage.

I have designed an insectivore head inspired by anteaters and pangolins. I call it the Sticky Tongue! I imagine it would give 3+ insect collecting and 3+ smell. And perhaps the beak gene could give 2+ insect collecting.

Sticky tongue niche.png

• Like 17

Thinking back to it, the game could possibly combine the current foods to make new diets but I usually get stuck in the "harvest fish and berries" cycle. I know that this would be a fun and unique way to expand my game play style. The head also looks so cute!! I know that I am always going for a look like this anyway in some of my more ascetic challenges. 😊

• Like 2

This would be brilliant! Would also be nice if there were large insects (tarantulas or what have you) that could poison your nichelings or even eat the baby's. It would definitely make the feature a lot less one sided in the players advantage.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, glitchplight said:

The OP talked about the beak gene also having a level of insect collecting in the last paragraph.

ok also maybe platypus beak(ducks and platypi eat insect larva or aquatic insects), big nose(foxes, dogs and even coyotes eat some insects and arachnids)

footage of a fennec fox(imagine this is as a big eared nicheling) eating a scorpion

and a red fox eating a grub