Stray Fawn Community

life bonuses

beny453

i was thinking about how depending on where things live they adapt to live there so it makes sense that your nichlings would get immunities for where they are born at ex. say you have a baby born in the mountain it would have some cold resistance because it was born there and it's mom and dad adapted to live in that habitat 

• Like 1

7 replies to this post

That sound like the eperimental branch we had once. And that is not exactly how adaption in the darwin theory works. The parents don't adapt but random mutations are either beneficial for the environment or they are not. If they are the creature has more offspring and the gene gets passed on (let's say one of your creatures mutates big body and you are in the mountains you'll probably make sure that  that creature has lots of children while the lean bodied creature probably won't have as many). That is what we like to call 'adapting'.

In addition to that changes of the genes have to change the gametes as well (like sperma cells) which usually doesn't happen because they are already finished when a creature reproduces and grows up. So the parents might be used to the cold but the change in their normal body cells wouldn't usually carry over to the gametes and therefor to their children. :)

I don't want to bash your idea or anything. That is just how Niche works currently (and most of the biology in the world). I like Philos idea that x babies have to be born there :)

• Like 4

I think this is an interesting approach to show adaption :)
I'm not sure this would fit into the existing game mechanics though.
But maybe we could have unlock requirements for let's say Bug Body that require "X  babies need to be born in the snow biome".

Thats why we have the different body types. in real life after a few generations you would see mutations to adapt to an environment, not right away. In niche this is shown by unlocking mutations after a few generations.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 2:34 AM, Philo said:

I think this is an interesting approach to show adaption :)
I'm not sure this would fit into the existing game mechanics though.
But maybe we could have unlock requirements for let's say Bug Body that require "X  babies need to be born in the snow biome".

*cough cough* Interesting choice of gene there.. Especially one that doesn't exist yet...