Stray Fawn Community

How to find logfiles and savefiles on your computer

Philo

Logfiles

If your game crashed, please add the .log file in your bug report!
It can be found here:

Windows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Niche\Windows\64Bit\Niche_Data\output_log.txt 

Mac:
~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Linux:
~/.config/unity3d/Team Niche/Niche _ a genetics survival game/Player.log

Savefiles

If weird things are happening when playing, please add the save file in your bug report!
It can be found here:

Linux: 
~/.config/unity3d/Team Niche/Niche - a genetics survival game/Saves

Mac: 
~/Library/Application Support/com.strayfawnstudio.niche/Saves

Windows: 
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Team Niche\Niche - a genetics survival game\Saves

The AppData folder is hidden. Here is explained how you can change the settings so it shows up on windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

Thank you very much :)
This makes our lives a lot easier!

• Like 3

• Micha pinned this topic

This thing is a folder path:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Team Niche\Niche - a genetics survival game\Saves
If means you first open the folder on your computer that is called C:, then Users, then the one with your username and so on :)

Any more tips here @Micha?

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, Skysplash8 said:

Do I just search for it in my files or what? Sorry, I don't know much about this. :S

When I found my save file I just searched "team niche" then from there I found the, Niche - a genetics survival game and Saves, files.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo! Finally went to look for it and found it! :D I only realized that 'C:' is Local Disc until I looked at the Steam backups (I pressed a button on steam and it opened it up for me). I also found the crash files :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this out :c

I'm a windows user trying to understand how to access the save files in order to make a folder for the files I currently have and a folder for files I import from other people to play, like with this:

But when I look for the C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Team Niche\Niche - a genetics survival game\Saves I don't find anything at all. No "AppData", no "LocalLow", no "Team Niche"; nothing. I have Steam and I can play the game just fine, but when looking through my files I got nothing.

I tried the Steam approach by right clicking Niche and selecting "Backup Game Files" but that didn't really do anything for me. I'm still flying blind. I was able to download the save file, provided in the conversation I linked to above, into a folder on my computer, but I don't really know what to do with it since I can't find my own actual save files. Nowhere do I see a file that looks like the one I downloaded.

Please help; I'm not tech savvy at all but I really love the idea in the link above and wanna give it a shot. QmQ

8 hours ago, MysticTopaz said:

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this out :c

I'm a windows user trying to understand how to access the save files in order to make a folder for the files I currently have and a folder for files I import from other people to play, like with this:

But when I look for the C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Team Niche\Niche - a genetics survival game\Saves I don't find anything at all. No "AppData", no "LocalLow", no "Team Niche"; nothing. I have Steam and I can play the game just fine, but when looking through my files I got nothing.

I tried the Steam approach by right clicking Niche and selecting "Backup Game Files" but that didn't really do anything for me. I'm still flying blind. I was able to download the save file, provided in the conversation I linked to above, into a folder on my computer, but I don't really know what to do with it since I can't find my own actual save files. Nowhere do I see a file that looks like the one I downloaded. 

Please help; I'm not tech savvy at all but I really love the idea in the link above and wanna give it a shot. QmQ

Use the windows search tool and write %appdata%

It automatically goes to roaming, but just click appdata again and go to local low

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

Use the windows search tool and write %appdata%

It automatically goes to roaming, but just click appdata again and go to local low

I did, and it didn't work. Posting here was my last ditch effort.

12 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

[video]

OMG thank you so much!!! This walk-through was super duper helpful!! Seeing it actually done in front of me is so much better than reading and trying to understand technical stuff! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️  Now I can play the group save file and share what happens~

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MysticTopaz said:

OMG thank you so much!!! This walk-through was super duper helpful!! Seeing it actually done in front of me is so much better than reading and trying to understand technical stuff! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️  Now I can play the group save file and share what happens~

Nice to hear that it helped :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How do I load a savefile? I copied a save file to back it up, but when I try pasting it into the savefile folder (giving it the number of an empty slot), it doesn't show up in the game. In fact, if I DELETE a savefile from that folder (instead of using the delete tool in the game), the game still loads it successfully, and after I exit the game, the deleted file reappears in the folder. Are they being backed up somewhere else?

8 hours ago, gwenckatz said:

How do I load a savefile? I copied a save file to back it up, but when I try pasting it into the savefile folder (giving it the number of an empty slot), it doesn't show up in the game. In fact, if I DELETE a savefile from that folder (instead of using the delete tool in the game), the game still loads it successfully, and after I exit the game, the deleted file reappears in the folder. Are they being backed up somewhere else?

1: Make sure the save slots match up. You can't have more than one slot 1 Game in use, for example. So, let's say the savefile you're trying load is for save 0 (the top one in-game). Make sure there are't any other save 0s in the folder.

2: This is what I do: Delete the save file in whichever slot I need to be empty. Copy and paste the savefile into the saves folder. Either exit and reopen the game or open a different savefile and go back to the main menu. This has never failed for me!

On 5/3/2018 at 10:59 AM, Philo said:

Logfiles

If your game crashed, please add the .log file in your bug report!
It can be found here:

Windows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Niche\Windows\Niche_Data\output_log.txt 

Mac:
~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Linux:
~/.config/unity3d/Team Niche/Niche _ a genetics survival game/Player.log

Savefiles

If weird things are happening when playing, please add the save file in your bug report!
It can be found here:

Linux: 

Mac: 
~/Library/Application Support/unity.Team Niche.Niche - a genetics survival game/Saves

Windows: 

Thank you very much :)
This makes our lives a lot easier!

I'm new to all of this, can someone give me a VERY detailed guide on how to back up my saves? Include everything you can, even opening the game files themselves.

10 hours ago, Bill Nye the Science Fry said:

I'm new to all of this, can someone give me a VERY detailed guide on how to back up my saves? Include everything you can, even opening the game files themselves.

You find your save files here depending on your operating system.

Linux: 

Mac: 
~/Library/Application Support/unity.Team Niche.Niche - a genetics survival game/Saves

Windows: 

Then copy/ paste them to the location you want. I recommend making a folder somewhere named Niche Backup saves or just Backup saves. I have my folder on my desktop.

Voila, you have a back up of your saves. If you want to exchanged your save files just copy/ paste them back into the original game saves folder.

Really, there isn't much more to backing up your safe files :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jojo said:

You find your save files here depending on your operating system.

Linux: 

Mac: 

Windows: 

Then copy/ paste them to the location you want. I recommend making a folder somewhere named Niche Backup saves or just Backup saves. I have my folder on my desktop.

Voila, you have a back up of your saves. If you want to exchanged your save files just copy/ paste them back into the original game saves folder.

Really, there isn't much more to backing up your safe files :)

Okay, let me know if I'm doing this right:

I open "This PC", copy the Windows option, and then paste it into the "Search this PC" tab.

I think I'm doing the technical stuff right, but when I enter it, it says nothing matches my search.

31 minutes ago, Bill Nye the Science Fry said:

Okay, let me know if I'm doing this right:

I open "This PC", copy the Windows option, and then paste it into the "Search this PC" tab.

I think I'm doing the technical stuff right, but when I enter it, it says nothing matches my search.

It's better to just navigate manually from SystemC: , meaning just click on the stuff :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jojo said:

It's better to just navigate manually from SystemC: , meaning just click on the stuff :)

Okay, I'm in the Niche_Data folder. There's level0, level1, level2, and level3. Are these the save files? Do I make copies of these?

Edit: Just watched Seri's save file tutorial, and I can't find AppData. Do you think mine is hidden?

Edited by Bill Nye the Science Fry
Viewed something that relates to my comment after I posted it.

Hey! Could I have some help finding savefiles for future reference? 

I found a Windows (:C) inside 'This PC'. I clicked Users and then our username. But no AppData. I searched AppData in the search box inside Users and it came up with a bunch of useless results. Help?

The desktop is a Windows 10. 

@Philo ? Anyone??