Stray Fawn Community

Veiled - A Story-Based Playthrough (no one’s interested, so I guess I’ll discontinue it. not much point in doing something no one’s interested in)

CABINET

Alternate title: Let's see how long I can do another playthrough without it dying or me losing interest in it like my last two

This one is story based, so alternate alternate title: Let's see how long I can have the motivation to do actual writing

Sandbox settings:

Age settings:

Baby - 2 days

Child - 3 days

Teen - 10 days

Adult - 75 days

Pregnancy duration -  6 days

Damage/healing multipliers - x 3 all

Start conditions:

Food - 50

Nesting material - 10

Tribe size limit - 10

World settings:

Forbidden things - balance bear, defender bear, rogue male, goldleech, razorania

Blind gene mode is off

Start island - Grass mingle

~ Beginning ~

image.png.b4413a68902b81eeaff5a07a6017c9dc.png

A young white nicheling was lying down in the grass on the shore of an island. She looked around, confused. Where was she? How did she get here? ...Who was she? A jolt of panic shot through her, but it vanished quickly.

That's a problem for future me to worry about! For now, I should get some food...

She realized that she had been carrying a large hoard of food already. Was she travelling? Oh well. She went out to gather more. You can never have too much. Especially when you're alone on a mysterious island with no idea who you are...

image.png.e3dd135c5a126ef964c9757c0374f23f.png

The white nicheling wandered forward. Then she noticed she was now standing right next to a berry bush. She smiled. She missed the smell of berries... Or did she? Did she ever eat berries before? Oh well, that didn't matter right now. She plucked a few of the berries from the bush, then curled up to go to sleep.

ALRIGHT! First bit done! Yes, I'm aware that the whole "waking up with no memory of who you are" is a pretty common trope, but do I care? Not really...

Hopefully some people will actually be interested in this playthrough... Also, if anyone has tips for storywriting, they would be greatly appriciated

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The nicheling woke up the next morning. She plucked a few more berries before moving along the coast a bit. She got tired again, so she went to sleep again.

image.png.38f6a8e1465b5a773561f2706107a1e6.png

She woke up again to the smell of something new.

I know what that is. It's a... shell, right? They're meat, but she need to be cracked open to get at it, right? ...Well, I've got nimble fingers. Don't mind if I do!

She cracked it open, before carrying on with her travelling.

I should try to find someone else on this island...

I feel like this is really uninteresting so far... Help, how do I make it more interesting?

• Love 1

image.png.59ff60c7c6fd70e7bf6a3e246996a62f.png

As she travelled, a small white fluffy thing settled right beside her, before looking up and shuddering.

A rabbil! I know what those are. Nicheling prey!

She grinned and put her tiny claws arond the rabbil, ready to sink her teeth into its soft flesh. But... something was off... Something about the way it was looking at her... Was it... pleading to her? She looked down at the rabbil... It was so small... It even seemed young.

...How could she take the life away from a creature possibly not much older than she was? She couldn't... She shuddered... then she let the small creature go.

"Be free, little one," the nicheling whispered. "Continue to live your life the way it was before you met me... Find a companion and start a family with them, or whatever you do. And please for the love of the gods, stay away from other nichelings."

Will RNG bring me another nicheling soon? Hopefully

Oh, and I will be consoling them when they do come so that I can have the sort of nicheling I want

• Like 1
  • Love 1

image.png.9ba68690c3f11e45af3a3438b7706dac.png

As the nicheling woke up the next morning, it occurred to her how dumb she had been yesterday

I had a perfectly good bit of food sitting literally right under my nose, and what do I do? I LET IT GO. As if surviving on my own wouldn't be hard enough! What am I gonna do next, leave berries on a bush so that it can have seedlings later?!

The nicheling continued moving, promising to herself that she wouldn't be so stupid again.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.a0278b7fab8f9e09a963fab01d926438.png

The rain began to fall the next day. The nicheling looked to the side and realized that she had fallen asleep right next to a rabbil burrow, with a rabbil sitting on top. Narrowing her eyes, she made absolutely sure to kill this one.

As she gathered the meat from the rabbil, she couldn't shake a strange feeling of guilt...

...What's WRONG with me?! I bet I'm the ONLY nicheling in this ENITRE world that feels BAD about killing PREY! KNOCK IT OFF... ME! I'M BETTER THAN THIS!!

• Love 2

As she woke up, angry at herself, the white nicheling caught the scent of another one of her kind... a male. She excitedly ran over to him

image.png.c3b59688c422f174a2bbf267dee259b4.png

"Hey!"

"...Huh? Who's there?"

She didn't say who she was. She just shoved five bits of food in his face.

"Food. I have food. Join me. Now!"

"...Wha--?"

The male was taken aback, but he accepted the offer. Who could say no to food?

image.png.156e333b304afe3373a4d238af6ce785.png

"Alright, so are you going to tell me who you are, or--?"

"...zzz..."

"Oh. That was your last turn," he laughed. "Well, such is the curse of the nicheling, as my father always said! I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to ask you. ...There are some berries here..."

• Like 1
  • Love 2

image.thumb.png.166e2cba392739133f0485c1dd2a0c5e.png

"Good morning!"

"Oh. Good morning. Who were you again--?"

"Oh, just the nicheling that you forced to join you, before you dozed off."

"Oh yeah. Right. I remember you."

"Hey, what's your name, by the way?"

"My... name--?"

"You know, what they call you! What is it?"

"Who's 'they'?"

"You know, others... Other nichelings. What do they call you?"

The female paused for a moment, desperately trying to remember. She grew frustrated. Why couldn't she remember? Everything was veiled... her family, her name...

Her name... veiled...

Veil... hey, that could work! My name, Veil! Probably not what I was named, but it'll do for now!

"Veil. My name's Veil."

"...Veil?"

"Yeah. Is something wrong?"

"No... It's just, that's kind of an odd name!" The male laughed.

Veil narrowed her eyes. "Well, do have a better one?!"

"Hey, I was just kidding! It's a pretty name. Mine's Tamarack, by the way."

"...Tamarack? What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's a type of tree, that's what my father said."

"...Where's your family now? Why aren't you with them?"

"Why aren't you with yours?"

"Uh... I just left. I... wanted to see the world."

"Really? Me too! We could be travel buddies!"

"..."

"Oh come on, you're the one who forced me to join you. Why'd you do that if you didn't want to be travel buddies with me?"

"I guess you're right... Sure, we could travel together, whatever."

"Yay! Now, where should we go first?"

"I saw an oak tree not too far from here. We could go there."

"Sounds great! Let's go!"

And with that, they went off.

SO MANY COLOUR CHANGES AHH

• Like 2
  • Love 1

image.png.84b1e640998a26512c5baad26252bf8f.png

After sleeping through another night, Veil and Tamarack woke up to find that they now had their third gems.

"Awesome!" Tamarack said, puffing out his chest. "This is great! More energy! Now, where's that oak tree?"

"Not too far now."

"Good! Let's go!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 11 months later...