Stray Fawn Community

Scent Marking(MY IDEA!)

Guest SilverTheNicheling

Guest SilverTheNicheling

Yes! I know there’s already a post for scent marking!! Please don’t link the page to it because I really don’t want to be called out for it... but.. anywho.. yeah I just wanted to post my own idea BECAUSE IM SO FREAKING TIRED OF WANDERERS COMING IN AND STEALING MY FOOD WITHOUT REALIZING!!! There has to be some way for Nichelings to mark their territory so any entity(including predators but excluding prey), doesn’t walk upon that tile, you can see the scent mark from scent view as well so you can always know how fresh and how old it is, and it lasts for 5 days on that tile, mark frequently if you can, because the more faded the scent is, the more likely intruders will come...

23 replies to this post

It might make more sense to be able to mark things like tree stumps, nests, boulders, trees, berry bushes etc rather than empty tiles. It could be something where the mark is as strong as the strength of the nicheling. That way a tribe with 10+ strength would send a very clear message to all intruders but a mark from a tribe with up to 2 or 3 strength would be ignored. 

The marks themselves would have a certain radius around the object marked - perhaps to due with how much they have been marked - up to around 3 or so. 

Bunnies might avoid a bush marked with a strength of 3

A nicheling whose strength is equal to or more than the strength of the mark would trespass - with a slight bonus if they have toxic body or venomous fangs.

A bearena might take the hint with a strength of 6 or more

A killer bearena would be higher; 9 or so

An ape or balance bear might need around a strength of 12 before they got the message

• Like 4

I'd think there would still be a "I need food. Must take risk" factor for the rouges so not 100% fail safe, but a definite warning. (Also rouges with little smelling may miss the scent.) 

Good suggestion!

• Like 1
  • Paw up 3

Guest SilverTheNicheling
48 minutes ago, Evil Aether said:

I'd think there would still be a "I need food. Must take risk" factor for the rouges so not 100% fail safe, but a definite warning. (Also rouges with little smelling may miss the scent.) 

Good suggestion!

The problem is, is that the scent mark smells REALLY bad... especially if you marked with Stinky tail(which will make it smell worse, keeping intruders more at bay), so we need something to keep them away, period. What makes me more angry is how wanderers can’t explore anywhere else to get food.. if they’re being attacked by another tribe, that tells them that they need to book it and find another source for food, otherwise.. they’re just gonna get themselves killed, so scent marking is a way to warn wanderers(including rogues)to stay away, or you WILL be killed! Take my tribe for instance, if I can get a screenshot for a sec...

Guest SilverTheNicheling

Here's my tribe, right here they can smell and hear excellent, and they have evolved to be very carnivorous, however with that in mind.. it means they compete against others such as bearyenas and wanderers for meat, and when their kill is stolen, they take action, and kill with their deadly claws!

image.thumb.png.7b6e7d93ffd94e348762a22a2a900486.png

image.thumb.png.64db4c2d3cfbe405b5ebf7e15f158e8b.png

So if wanderers think they can get away with stolen meat.. think again! ;) 

1 minute ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

Here's my tribe, right here they can smell and hear excellent, and they have evolved to be very carnivorous, however with that in mind.. it means they compete against others such as bearyenas and wanderers for meat, and when their kill is stolen, they take action, and kill with their deadly claws!

image.thumb.png.7b6e7d93ffd94e348762a22a2a900486.png

image.thumb.png.64db4c2d3cfbe405b5ebf7e15f158e8b.png

So if wanderers think they can get away with stolen meat.. think again! ;) 

ohmegershthey'relikeagressiveHornet

The main reason we link the other suggestions is so everyone can vote on one, and reply with suggestions for changes. That way the votes aren't divided between the suggestions, which means more votes, and more of a chance of being added. You can always reply on the older post with you change suggestions ^^

P.S. I don't mean to hurt your feelings or anything, i just wanted to let you know the reason we link similar suggestions, please don't take this personally!

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, Skysplash8 said:

The main reason we link the other suggestions is so everyone can vote on one, and reply with suggestions for changes. That way the votes aren't divided between the suggestions, which means more votes, and more of a chance of being added. You can always reply on the older post with you change suggestions ^^

P.S. I don't mean to hurt your feelings or anything, i just wanted to let you know the reason we link similar suggestions, please don't take this personally!

Yeah but I wanted to express my anger on my own post.. I'm a selfish person, but hey.. I don't care. It seems like I never learn from my selfishness no matter what...

Just now, SilverTheNicheling said:

It seems like I never learn from my selfishness no matter what...

One day you will... whether that one day will be a good day of freedom from this selfishness, or if it means all these things will have caught up to you, I cannot say. On a positive note, I've been through the ladder thus know what it's like.

Guest SilverTheNicheling
2 minutes ago, Evil Aether said:

One day you will... whether that one day will be a good day of freedom from this selfishness, or if it means all these things will have caught up to you, I cannot say. On a positive note, I've been through the ladder thus know what it's like.

I'm just gonna stay off for the day because it seems like my anger gets worse no matter what is said to me.. thanks for understanding though.

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 hour ago, Lisa The Wolf said:

This suggestion is needed! My tribes survive off berries at first, and it is annoying when the wanderers take it.

Especially since there’s more berries to be found anywhere else around the island.. and.. and maybe they should add a behavior where wanderers hunt Rabbils, that way when they hunt, the kill is their’s to keep instead of stealing what my tribe was trying to support within their families..

hey, I wanted to quickly say something, with the prey and predator,

shouldn't prey avoid the markers and predators seek them out to find you? a prey animal would see the animal as dangerous, and predator would see you as prey, wouldn't it make sense that its the other way around? for the rouge avoiding it though, makes sense.

16 minutes ago, BasicDemon said:

your not sorry

lol

I am always, always sorry for n apparent reason. I get hurt? Sorry for making a such a loud noise. Make a bad joke? Sorry for it. Its just my nature for some apparent reason.

2 minutes ago, BasicDemon said:

im sorry, for commenting again. (this is a jOke- im SoRrY)

lol, even if you are mocking me with that last part idc, still funny. (I'M TRYING TO KEEP MYSELF FROM SAYING SORRY FOR ANNOYING U HELP)