Stray Fawn Community

Peaceful Bears

Deria

What all does the Peaceful Bear protect against when fed nesting material? And what is the range of protection? 

I remember seeing vaguely that they defend against all predators including Bluebirds, but I've had babies stolen from right beside them by said Bluebirds within a day of feeding them. And for range I've sometimes had a nicheling be safe within two tiles of a Bear, but also been attacked at that range as well.

Peaceful bears (gonna call them PBs for my typing fingers' sake)  help protect against all predators. The bluebird thing is probably a bug. However, for bearyenas and other predators, they have special hunger stats, so if a bearyena is super hungry, it's more likely to attack despite a PB than if it wasn't hungry. Rogue males work like this too, except with breeding. I don't know what the range of protection is.

• Like 1

They're less likely to come your way to begin with. But as Skysplash said, predators get more hungry over time. You'd have to account for the difference between warded off and unspotted vs. warded off and spotted + time, too. In other words, there might be a radius where they're less likely to approach your direction, and a radius where they would not approach your nicheling. 

But I haven't tried to use them as bluebird protection. Nesting a tile right next to them seems tedious. But possible required?? I'd test, but there's no sense to when they attempt to eat my babies or not. Camouflage seems to matter less than nicheling density and tribe size. They're very distractable, but that's it. Nice, looming entities, horrible test subjects.

• Like 1

"Warded off" can also mean a lot of things. Probably not anything special here, but take rogue males:

Placing three female nichelings tile to tile in a triangle wards off rogues. That means with a low bar they will mate with one but always avoid the others, after. With very high bars I've had two, but that might be abnormal and reason into more details. Still, at least one is always avoided, 90%+ of the time two. So they're actually both avoided and targeted. 

You can make an argument for: one murder/attack?/mating attempt lowers the bar and they're then repulsed by standard warding. But that makes the worth of it really questionable to me, at least. You'd have to seperate actions that lower bars by area warding from distasteful traits. The first can kick in only later but I haven't had a predator go : "you know what, let's not eat you". 

• Like 1

Huh. Didn't know there was that hidden stat but it makes sense. And basically means the safest bet is to try and keep the bear between me and most predators when I haven't got any attack strength.. 

The main reason I was concerned about the bluebirds is that I do nest right beside bears because the adjacent tile is consistently the safest, so it was pretty alarming that without fail I cannot leave the babies beside one if a bluebird is present. So if it is a bug I hope it's fixed soon, because it would help early game/in harder challenges. But until then I'll just play babies like I would without a bear.

Thanks for the help you guys! 😄

• Like 2