Stray Fawn Community

So how'd you guys get into playing Niche?

MAТТRESS

Obviously, we all enjoy playing Niche.

It's why we're here.

But how did that start?

Why did we start liking it?

Questions...

Here's my answer!

So I first found out that Niche existed from Seri. She was making a lot of Niche videos, so I thought to myself- I'd better start getting used to these! I've never even watched one before...here lemme do that!

So I continued to watch her Niche video for a total of 5 seconds before I decided that I was bored and didn't like it.

Let's fast-forward.

Seri is still doing Niche videos.

And I decide to give watching them another go.

I believe it was one of her Cookie Tree Tribe episodes, because she was talking about Meis and how she had a derp snout, and I was just sitting there wondering What in heckers is a derp snout? 

Anyways.

I then proceeded to march myself on over to Steam and buy Niche on an impulse.

I mean, what did I have to loose?

I opened it up.

Loaded a new Story Mode save.

And immediately died.

I for some reason got it into my head that you could only have one kid per pair.

So I was just wandering around with Adam, Eve, and their one kid until I ran out of time and perished.

I left the game after that.

And then I watched Seri play the game, because she was obviously better than me at it!

I proceeded to watch her Story Mode tribe and got inspired from watching...mostly because it helped me figure out that I could have more than one kid per nicheling pair.

I played again.

And the rest is history.

So, now, share your stories! I'm curious!

• Like 3

It starts off with my sibling telling me to play it. So, I said why not.

AND

I didn’t like it. I was confused (Maybe because my sibling said to play sandbox meaning no tutorial) After reaching I think around 100 days I was bored (The fact that I kept going to flower ports and that meant no different(Harder) islands might have been one reason and that I stayed on the bigger one eventually) I thought the main game goal was to survive as many days as you could (Well it's technically true but it doesn't count really if you stick to one island like I did😅).

SO

I dropped the game. Telling my sibling I liked the style but there was nothing to do.

Skip a few months.

Jessimew pop up in my recommendations on youtube. I start with her Adam’s quest. At first, I’m like there was a story mode?  

So, I watched all her Niche game video’s. The fact that she could tell her own stories wanted me to do the same. A few days before my birthday my sibling bought the game for me. I enjoyed it (especially now that I knew how gene's work) and started to draw my characters and Jessimew’s.  

• Like 2

I watched some of seri’s videos and fell in love with her story telling (which I alas am not great at creating good stories) I haven’t watched her vids in a while tho.

• Like 4

I'd bought it on a steam sale but I lost interest pretty quickly as I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, the amount of extinct tribes I had was actually ridiculous

Then I watched part of Jessmie's Adam's Journey playthrough and now I can play from dawn until dusk, wish it worked on my laptop though so I don't freeze to death which is why I am really looking forward to the switch port

• Like 4

jessimew

i was a big fan of her stardew valley videos, and i saw that she was uploading a lot of niche videos. so i decided to check them out. at first, i didn't really like niche but then it really grew on me as i started to binge watch the entire series. i was really bad at it when i first got it , but i wasn't terrible because i watched so many of jessimew's videos. i got around to first snow in my first story mode save and then deleted it because everyone was starving. i also vaguely remember making an archipelago sandbox save right after and actually surviving in that one

• Like 3

I'd say Jessimew, but saw a video of a very old version years ago and kind of stuffed it into the back of my mind. Found Niche again when looking for a different game. So that one moment of "it exists!!" and a few videos from Jessimew before I actually bought it.

Didn't go extinct or had a too rough* start, but then again I already knew the game mechanics.  Eventually stopped playing too safe and got into challenge tribes. Got tired. Starting doing story playthroughs after some skipped months. 

*What did leave a horrible first impression was my first save being bugged beyond belief. I followed all the right steps from the guide, but no northern port would spawn for me when it should. After 8 hours of non-stop island hopping (really should have trashed the save), there finally appeared one in its proper place.

While there were a few tricks you could attempt and would have solved most cases... they hadn't worked. So pure grinding until you couldn't do "story" mode, which is probably why I didn't do story tribes for so long after, despite watching Adam's Journey...

• Like 3

Uhhhh I didn’t find out from a YouTuber. This happened on my own. I just found the demo of niche on YouTube (but I can’t remember much) quite a few years ago, and I loved it. But that was the end until I was scrolling through YouTube again and I was like “that looks like that one game... imma watch it” so I watched it. And honestly, I loved it. I tried to watch Jessimews entire story mode (mind you I failed miserably), and for a couple of years I was watching niche constantly on YouTube on the dumb chrome book I had that couldn’t run it. So the year my chrome book kicked the bucket, for Christmas I got a laptop. And my mom got me a steam gift card, enough to buy niche (which was on sale, so I had enough left over to buy spore which was also on an insane sale), and we made my steam account blah blah blah, and then I played it. Dream come true. Wish I could experience that joy again. Also there’s a chance that Prince is a year old now. Now I rarely watch niche unless I’m rewatching these two playthroughs and I’ll probably go do that some other time.

and I found the forums by clicking on that weird thing on niche that’s like “help us expand niche or the community or something or other” made an account, and the first thing I said was the worst grammar ever. Says me, the person that can’t say their when I mean they’re and not get overly ticked off about it

• Like 2

I watched Seri for years and loved the storytelling involved in Niche. I got it and loved it because it reminded me of my older brother (whom has now tried cutting off all contact with me because he didn't really want siblings.) We used to always play turn-based strategy games, which also got me very involved in Roleplay. I still am addicted to roleplay and storytelling, which I am trying to find on this platform aswell…. So if you know any active roleplays, please let me know!

• Like 3

Seri! I don't remember how I started watching her videos, but I think I watched her Niche videos before anything else. At the time she was doing the second season of the Yukirs I think? Then a couple months later Niche came out of early access. I really wanted it but I decided to wait until Christmas. On my birthday (two days after Christmas) I got a Steam giftcard, it was too late to get Niche that day so the next day I bought it (at like 7 am, bc I hopped out of bed as soon as my eyes opened) and played it. Next day I guess I saw the little pop-up in game for the forums and made an account. I made a suggestion for multiplayer, and, ironically, a day counter and better notifications for gene unlocking. I also reported like 4 bugs in one day, how productive of me. Then I lost interest in the game for several months. Then I made the Kikonoko Tribe. I actually liked them, so their save was never deleted (I don't remember if any of my early tribes ever died out. I just deleted them because I got bored). Eventually Meringue was born. I kinda liked him. Then he died. Then I got back to the forums and wanted a pfp, so I took cropped photo of Meringue. Then like a week later I realized I really liked Meringue and wanted a screenshot of his genes... but his last remaining Taro had already passed away... now I'll never know.

• Like 3

Yeah it was seri lol. The first niche vid I saw of her was called "Sneaky bunnies in the nest" or something, but the actual latest niche vid from her was from the tribe with doeli I think it was (Basically the tidepool magic thing with clam shells and stuff), in it, the ep before she and her brother was born, and decided to watch it. I liked the game, so some time in December of the same year I got it, and my first tribe, Mado (Who had Nuta in it :D), didn't actually die! It got close once, but never did. I actually did pretty frickin good in it and only deleted it because I wanted more saves, lol. So yeah

• Like 3

For some reason I was watching Seri's Sims Warrior Cats videos and it popped up, I thought it looked cool but wasn't interested. 

I found her series again a few months later and binge-watched it, found JessiMew and watched those too, because I liked her videos better.  When I first started playing I had a grasp on basic mechanics but still sucked at the game. Now I can confidently say I could beat Seri at least, in a Niche-playing competition. :) Haven't watched either of their videos in months, and I haven't played much Niche in months but the urge is slowly coming back...especially since I've been trying to develop a Niche world for a story

• Like 1