Stray Fawn Community

Kill baby nichelings

Dinocanid

Not sure if this has been suggested already, sorry if it has.
It's a dark idea, but I've had this issue for quite a while. It's my fault for not scanning the entire map after every move, but often times one (or a few) of my female nichelings will get impregnated by a rogue male (One time I looked the same turn and couldn't even find him? What's up with that?), then I have to move them all the way to a nest and wait for the ugly derp snout babies to grow up before I can kick them out of the tribe. But then they continue to wander the island and eat up all the berries until you kill them, which wastes precious turns, or they die from one reason or the other.
It happens in real life, and it would be useful here. Not only for unwanted derpy offspring, but babies that are born sick and could potentially infect the rest of your tribe if you don't always keep them separated from everyone else, not to mention that kicking sick nichelings from your tribe just enables them to run loose and wander into your tribe, infecting more since you can no longer control where they go. 

• Like 10
  • Paw up 2

22 replies to this post

14 minutes ago, Dr. Nearo said:

Honestly... I agree. It would only make sense considering that anything else that attacks the pup insta-kills it. however there has to be some kind of safety on this kind of thing: I can only imagine the horror as players accidentally kill off their newborns after this goes up. Mayhaps one can only do this action on an omega, for example. And the button be a different color... maybe with a warning/confirmation window too. and two players have to turn the keys simulta-ok I'm done

Yeah, I can see myself doing the same on accident, I already accidentally skip days lol. Needing the pup to be an omega should do it, since the same thing is in place so players don't accidentally kick nichelings from their tribe.

• Like 4
  • Paw up 1

Honestly... I agree. It would only make sense considering that anything else that attacks the pup insta-kills it. however there has to be some kind of safety on this kind of thing: I can only imagine the horror as players accidentally kill off their newborns after this goes up. Mayhaps one can only do this action on an omega, for example. And the button be a different color... maybe with a warning/confirmation window too. and two players have to turn the keys simulta-ok I'm done

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Paw up 1

I agree as well. Here's the comment I posted on Steam before I was pointed this way :3

I noticed you cannot banish or attack newborns or young, which is... pretty unrealistic. If you get a bad birth (double immunity genes, for example) you have to move everyone away from the nest to avoid spreading the sickness, and feed an unwanted cub until you can push it into the water to drown/be leeched on to death.

I suggest being able to either have the mother abandon the cub from the nest (it dies as if attacked by an enemy) or be able to banish a cub from the group (if set as omega and using an alpha), because losing out on turns /and/ food for an unwanted, sick offspring doesn't really fit with the drive to survive the game protrays.

Yes, I know it sounds harsh, but we're playing with a nature simulator here. Nature doesn't abide unfit offspring, and more often than not, I end up losing breeding time to having to wait out sickness when the random newcomer to the area turns out to be completely infertile and I"m dancing around Home/A/B/G genes trying to keep from having doubles xD

• Like 3
  • Paw up 1

30 minutes ago, Lilytuft said:

Just let the birds do it. Or bearyenas. Or any other predator. Or make them pick poison berries. Or cactus berries. Or just drown them.

But it would just be much faster to kill them right after they're born in the nest wouldn't it? No need to move them or anything, and they won't eat your food either while you're trying to drown them or wait for a predator to arrive. It just takes too long in my opinion, especially if you don't want them at all. It's extra resources.
You click a button, boom, that's it.

• Like 4
  • Paw up 1

I think this would be really useful. Most people abandon/deliberately drown or poison/kill in any other way possible sickly or unwanted nichelings anyways. Adding this to the game just means that the players doing this don't have to waste their time and resources waiting for these poor unwanted nichelings to die their slow deaths, knowing fine well that they will always be alone and that nobody wants them :(

@LilytuftI swear the bluebirds only eat the babies I leave unattended by accident. Never the ones I leave out especially for them. Honestly they're so ungrateful, I offer them this lovely sacrifice to scran, but oh no, thats not good enough for them. They've got to wait for my beautiful, perfect in every way possible little baby to snatch away. The frustration is real >:(

@Lurkilywatership down is sooo much better than zootropilis, just saying

• Like 3
  • Paw up 1

Just let the birds do it. Or bearyenas. Or any other predator. Or make them pick poison berries. Or cactus berries. Or just drown them.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Niche fan said:

What if there was a time limit like 3 days to give birth or the mom miscarries causing health loss, kinda ties in with the miscarriage idea, but with option to miscarry. I still think the x birth gene should go towards miscarriages, not not getting prego, that would really change the game. 

I agree these are kinda dark subjects but nature is brutal and glad you brought them up.

That's a separate idea entirely, and works better for the miscarriage idea than this idea. My main point is to kill the baby in the nest before it can affect the rest of the tribe in any way (be it illness, food loss, just being plain ugly, whatever). I wouldn't want it to cost the health of a nicheling I want to keep.

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1

On the one hand, nature is brutal, but on the other hand, you also have to think about what kind of game and experience you want to present.

In other words, do we want Niche to be Zootopia, or Watership Down?

• Paw up 1

1 hour ago, Lurkily said:

On the one hand, nature is brutal, but on the other hand, you also have to think about what kind of game and experience you want to present.

In other words, do we want Niche to be Zootopia, or Watership Down?

But we already send them to their deaths on purpose... it's more of a QoL sort of addition than to say "then the mother tears her newborn baby apart because it was born GG Immunity and sick".

Well, YOU send them to their death, but whether that's something that Niche encourages is a different matter.  I'm not even sure how I found niche subjects coming up in my notifications, since I don't subscribe to those forums, though.  :)

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 6:08 PM, heyitsgeorgie said:

just use console and do "take damage 999" and you're done

Personally when I use console to kill of my nichelings everything starts bugging out and the save file usually gets corrupted. I dunno 'bout you but that's what happens to me most of the time.

3 hours ago, ChasingNyx said:

Personally when I use console to kill of my nichelings everything starts bugging out and the save file usually gets corrupted. I dunno 'bout you but that's what happens to me most of the time.

oh, my console only glitches when i change genes, thats so weird.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:53 AM, heyitsgeorgie said:

oh, my console only glitches when i change genes, thats so weird.

Extremely weird because my game is perfectly fine w/ the console screwing w/ the genes but not nicheling murder. The console is just weird in general tho.

I think I'd like to just take note that, though I don't recall seeing a ESRB rating, this game seems to be regarded as kid-friendly.  A lot of people seem to be celebrating the idea of embracing the brutality of nature, but I feel like I need to reiterate that while that might make a good game, that game might not be Niche.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

I think I'd like to just take note that, though I don't recall seeing a ESRB rating, this game seems to be regarded as kid-friendly.  A lot of people seem to be celebrating the idea of embracing the brutality of nature, but I feel like I need to reiterate that while that might make a good game, that game might not be Niche.

I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you arent a niche player (not really sure why you're here if that's the case but ok). In the game you are already able to banish and kill children in your tribe and you can kill wandering nichelings of any age, including babies. All this is suggesting is that you are also able to do so with baby nichelings in your own tribe, which I honestly don't see as being any worse than what you already have the option to do. Would this really make the game that much less kid-friendly?

4 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you arent a niche player (not really sure why you're here if that's the case but ok).

As a moderator, I keep an eye on site activity in a general sense across the entirety of the forum; Niche, Nimbatus, and General.  I don't have the knowledge to merge topics or whatnot on the Niche side of the forum, but I do glance at what happens over here as well, and approve new users for posting, keep an eye out for disputes, etc etc.  

My question would be, is the ability to kill a young nicheling a direct option?  I've noticed people saying you can direct them into lethal situations, which isn't quite the same thing, and the fact that you can banish members, and that there's nothing restricting it from being directed against children, isn't the same as having a 'kill baby' button.  

Keep in mind, I'm making no recommendations in any of my posts.  I'm not claiming to know better, or that it's a good or bad idea, and I certainly didn't vote on this idea.  Just suggesting that you consider whether it's in character with current content.  If it is, and I'm mistaken, then, well, cheerio.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lurkily said:

As a moderator, I keep an eye on site activity in a general sense across the entirety of the forum; Niche, Nimbatus, and General.  I don't have the knowledge to merge topics or whatnot on the Niche side of the forum, but I do glance at what happens over here as well, and approve new users for posting, keep an eye out for disputes, etc etc.  

My question would be, is the ability to kill a young nicheling a direct option?  I've noticed people saying you can direct them into lethal situations, which isn't quite the same thing, and the fact that you can banish members, and that there's nothing restricting it from being directed against children, isn't the same as having a 'kill baby' button.  

Keep in mind, I'm making no recommendations in any of my posts.  I'm not claiming to know better, or that it's a good or bad idea, and I certainly didn't vote on this idea.  Just suggesting that you consider whether it's in character with current content.  If it is, and I'm mistaken, then, well, cheerio.

Yes and no. There isn't any direct option in the game to kill anything, but there is an attack option so that the amount of damage dealt with each blow can be adjusted to the strength of each individual nicheling. As I said, this option is available for all nichelings that aren't in your tribe, regardless of age. This also goes for any nichelings you kick out. The only reason some people would rather 'direct them into lethal situations' is that this lets you keep control of them, stopping them from stealing your food and, if theyre sick, wandering into the middle of your tribe and infecting everyone.

You are already able to kill both babies and offspring of your own nichelings, so being able to kick out and/or kill your own nichelings while they are still babies really can't be all that much less 'kid-friendly' than being able to do so to them once they are a child

What if there was a time limit like 3 days to give birth or the mom miscarries causing health loss, kinda ties in with the miscarriage idea, but with option to miscarry. I still think the x birth gene should go towards miscarriages, not not getting prego, that would really change the game. 

I agree these are kinda dark subjects but nature is brutal and glad you brought them up.

• Like 2