Stray Fawn Community

Give the Gills gene the ability to smell

glitchplight

The head shape for the gills seems to have a very shark-like look, and sharks are very very good at smelling, so it seems only fitting! Plus it isn't worth using the gills over the water body in the state it is in.

For that matter, let fish be smellable!

(another water gene that beeds a buff is the webbed paw, but I haven't thought about how exactly that can be buffed yet)

• Like 5

8 replies to this post

5 hours ago, TamTroll said:

webbed paw could do with some collecting or fishing ability somehow, as right now having a double-webbed paw nicheling is kind of worthless, you can swim really fast, but you sure can't do anything with it.

i could see  webbed paw with either fishing 1, and / or feeding from the bottom ability like Platypus beak, it could be liked the underwater version of digger's paw.

I can see them having a feeding from the bottom stat on them like the way otters like digging around! Maybe to balance out helping with swimming, it will only have a +1 of that ability.

57 minutes ago, Fortuna said:

Definitely having some smelling on Gills would be nice. It's really not worth using right now, which is sad because Gills is kind of cute. Even if it was just +1 to smelling, but +2 would be nicer. Underwater breathing doesn't really feel like enough of a bonus to reduce the smelling from +2, like Venom Fangs (poisonous and ability to eat toxic berries) and Bearyena Snout (the extra strength and abilities) do.

I think +2 would be fair to it while +1 would be better to put on the Platypus Bill since its more balanced out with its recent buff. But yeah it is true any amount of smelling ability would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Yes that could be so helpfull! It's so anoying not being able to smell on gilled creature especially since they seem to have a big nose. Meybe just +2 smell would be good like craquer jaw.

15 minutes ago, Bout de Carton said:

Yes that could be so helpfull! It's so anoying not being able to smell on gilled creature especially since they seem to have a big nose. Meybe just +2 smell would be good like craquer jaw.

Yes exactly! +2 Smelling seems like a perfectly reasonable amount of smelling ability and is a good standard!

• Like 1

webbed paw could do with some collecting or fishing ability somehow, as right now having a double-webbed paw nicheling is kind of worthless, you can swim really fast, but you sure can't do anything with it.

i could see  webbed paw with either fishing 1, and / or feeding from the bottom ability like Platypus beak, it could be liked the underwater version of digger's paw.

• Like 2

Definitely having some smelling on Gills would be nice. It's really not worth using right now, which is sad because Gills is kind of cute. Even if it was just +1 to smelling, but +2 would be nicer. Underwater breathing doesn't really feel like enough of a bonus to reduce the smelling from +2, like Venom Fangs (poisonous and ability to eat toxic berries) and Bearyena Snout (the extra strength and abilities) do.

8 hours ago, Ancestor Nature said:

I agree that these genes could be improved. I think +2 smelling to Gills and +1 smelling to Platypus Beak would be reasonable, including +1 feeding from the bottom for every webbed paw.

yes we need more genes that give feeding from the bottom anyways.

Yeah I always liked the look of the aquatic genes, but after I bred my first webbed necheling I realized how... unhelpful the genes are as the game currently is. Runner's leg at least gives collecting. Also I like the Idea of the gills head unlocking an underwater smelling trait

• Like 1